another new rider on a 600 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

another new rider on a 600

if your talking finch in T.O then no.. I'm from cambridge, been putting on a lot of km's tho..

One day/night you're gonna get into a situation where you're gonna need to stop in a hurry and you won't be able to because your bike is heavier. You'll try to swerve out of the way but you won't be able to cause your tires are bigger and your bike is heavier, you'll wish it didn't accelerate so fast and you'll wish it was smaller. When you get into that accident, if you survive, you'll say you wish you got a 250. My friend didn't get the chance to make that wish, he just died... funny he started on a CBR600RR as well.

I started on a 250, and today on my R6 I'm more confident than anyone I've ridden with, even those who started on a 600.(LOL)

Good luck buddy, I hope you're one of the lucky ones that makes it through with the 600 as a first. I just wish people weren't so concerned about the size of an engine.

:cool:got my gsxr 600 about 2 months ago, first bike i've owned. doesnt scare me at all, it does have alot of power and i love it. respect the ride and your gonna be okay. :eek:
oh my god and you are not dead yet..... :p

One day/night you're gonna get into a situation where you're gonna need to stop in a hurry and you won't be able to because your bike is heavier. You'll try to swerve out of the way but you won't be able to cause your tires are bigger and your bike is heavier, you'll wish it didn't accelerate so fast and you'll wish it was smaller. When you get into that accident, if you survive, you'll say you wish you got a 250. My friend didn't get the chance to make that wish, he just died... funny he started on a CBR600RR as well.

I started on a 250, and today on my R6 I'm more confident than anyone I've ridden with, even those who started on a 600.(LOL)

Good luck buddy, I hope you're one of the lucky ones that makes it through with the 600 as a first. I just wish people weren't so concerned about the size of an engine.
sorry about your friend but you are very miss informed. A 600 will stop way faster than a 250 due to the high quality brakes on them. A 600 is more responsive while swerving or turning due to the type of suspension and soft compound tires. Not to mention many many more advantages.

I would feel way safer on a Ferrari due to it's high performance than on my lighter Honda civic with crappy brakes.

Last edited:

sorry about your friend but a 600 cc can stop much faster then any 250 and it could have happen on a 250 also

sorry about your friend but you are very miss informed. A 600 will stop way faster than a 250 due to the high quality brakes on them. A 600 is more responsive while swerving or turning due to the type of suspension and soft compound tires. Not to mention many many more advantages.

I would feel way safer on a Ferrari due to it's high performance than on my lighter Honda civic with crappy brakes.

100% true, nicely done!

Yes, these facts apply to an experienced rider. Not to a newbie though. They are called beginner bikes for a reason. Of course they are more responsive but they are more difficult to handle, we all know that. He will not benefit from that handling, in fact it will hinder him due to the weight difference. Also, yes it can stop better, but the brakes lock up easier, again a matter of experience.

My old GT250R wouldn't lock up as easily as my new R6. But when applied properly, yes the brakes are far more effective on the R6. But this comes back to my point, these facts don't apply to a beginner, because we have to assume he's not skilled enough.

Would you feel safer in that Ferrari the first time you started driving with your G1? Of course not, you were not so steady with those pedals, not to mention your mind on shifting and what not.

Cmon guys...

My buddy wouldn't be dead today had he been on a 250. Why? Because he wouldn't have been able to accelerate as fast as he did, therefore not reaching the speed he was traveling which would have given him a better change to stop or swerve... whichever. The skid marks lasted a like 15 meters ~

Last edited:
Yes, these facts apply to an experienced rider. Not to a newbie though. They are called beginner bikes for a reason. Of course they are more responsive but they are more difficult to handle, we all know that. He will not benefit from that handling, in fact it will hinder him due to the weight difference. Also, yes it can stop better, but the brakes lock up easier, again a matter of experience.

My old GT250R wouldn't lock up as easily as my new R6. But when applied properly, yes the brakes are far more effective on the R6. But this comes back to my point, these facts don't apply to a beginner, because we have to assume he's not skilled enough.

Would you feel safer in that Ferrari the first time you started driving with your G1? Of course not, you were not so steady with those pedals, not to mention your mind on shifting and what not.

Cmon guys...

My buddy wouldn't be dead today had he been on a 250. Why? Because he wouldn't have been able to accelerate as fast as he did, therefore not reaching the speed he was traveling which would have given him a better change to stop or swerve... whichever. The skid marks lasted a like 15 meters ~
I learned how to drive on my brothers 1970 SS camero with race differential, it wheeled a foot from the ground, I fail to see your point.

You know, reading responses like JouJou and seeing how misinformed and patently wrong they are, make me sad. Sad that my knowledge and experience is wasted. This guy, who clearly doesn't understand (nor does he want to be corrected) how a 600 SS is much better than a 250 in almost all aspects, has an R6. Supposedly, he can afford it and the insurance.

Meanwhile, my smartass self continues to putter along on his 250. Not due to fear, or a lack of skill, but a lack of funds. I mean, seriously? These are the kinds of people that can afford nice bikes? And I can't?

OP: I liked the suggestion about buying the CBR, and picking up a 250 or something as a trainer. It's a good idea, but expensive, at least in terms of money that will be tied up. You could recoup the costs of the 250. Anyhow, I suppose you won't go with that option, so just take it easy on the 600. Do the same drills they do in the M1 course, do parking lot exercises, and get to know the bike. If you're smart, you'll be fine. If you're like JouJou and believe it's the bike and not you that causes the accident, then may God help you.

You know, reading responses like JouJou and seeing how misinformed and patently wrong they are, make me sad. Sad that my knowledge and experience is wasted. This guy, who clearly doesn't understand (nor does he want to be corrected) how a 600 SS is much better than a 250 in almost all aspects, has an R6. Supposedly, he can afford it and the insurance.

Meanwhile, my smartass self continues to putter along on his 250. Not due to fear, or a lack of skill, but a lack of funds. I mean, seriously? These are the kinds of people that can afford nice bikes? And I can't?

OP: I liked the suggestion about buying the CBR, and picking up a 250 or something as a trainer. It's a good idea, but expensive, at least in terms of money that will be tied up. You could recoup the costs of the 250. Anyhow, I suppose you won't go with that option, so just take it easy on the 600. Do the same drills they do in the M1 course, do parking lot exercises, and get to know the bike. If you're smart, you'll be fine. If you're like JouJou and believe it's the bike and not you that causes the accident, then may God help you.

Shut the **** up, I'm clearly agreeing that the bike is better. I've done my 250 for years, and I take my R6 to the next level. You keep puttering along on your 250. If you ever pulled up next to me on a 600 you'd forget you were riding one. Idiot.

Shut the **** up, I'm clearly agreeing that the bike is better. I've done my 250 for years, and I take my R6 to the next level. You keep puttering along on your 250. If you ever pulled up next to me on a 600 you'd forget you were riding one. Idiot.
cat-bird_your-daily-gif-blog.gif

I struggled with a similar dilemma when I was buying my 1st bike you would benefit from reading the first few pages of this thread. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?136291-Sport-bikes-are-not-beginner-bikes-BUT...

Read this thread posted by sundancekid ^^

Children, quit bickering.

OP: I just picked up a 250 to learn on and it's a blast, I'm 25 and in no rush to get a bigger bike until I fully grasp every technique possible on my 250. The only issue I run into is when I ride with my friends who all have 600+ bikes I feel like throwing mine in the garbage haha.

My first bike was my 600 also. Its perfect and i don't need to upgrade every year. Its not too much and not even close to too little. I'm hoping to have it for a few years:)

Did you write this before or after you ran it into a hydro pole? Or was that a guardrail? I've lost count of you new riders on SS bikes and your crash stories.

+++++++++

OP, you will not learn how to ride as quickly on an SS bike than the logical people who start out on smaller bikes. Just sayin'.

Did you write this before or after you ran it into a hydro pole? Or was that a guardrail? I've lost count of you new riders on SS bikes and your crash stories.

+++++++++

OP, you will not learn how to ride as quickly on an SS bike than the logical people who start out on smaller bikes. Just sayin'.

Stop talking sense, stormcat. Newbies here need to justify their purchase!

:cool:got my gsxr 600 about 2 months ago, first bike i've owned. doesnt scare me at all, it does have alot of power and i love it. respect the ride and your gonna be okay. :eek:

+1 I bought a 600 in March as my first bike. Marshall is dead on RESPECT is the most important aspect. IMO the throttle is important yes but you quickly learn to feather the clutch. The brakes on these bikes will get you into trouble and have you on the ground faster than you can process what is happening. If I were to caution you it would be that. Good luck & keep us posted.

'Respect' cannot compensate for experience. How does one have 'respect' for a machine they have no experience with? They don't. It's as simple as that. Bike forums and these ridiculous, completely meaningless buzz words that pepper the newb threads... :rolleyes:

Just say it like it is. Your inflated ego told you to be a big boy and start on an SS instead of using your rational brain coupled with a real respect for your life.

'Respect' cannot compensate for experience. How does one have 'respect' for a machine they have no experience with? They don't. It's as simple as that. Bike forums and these ridiculous, completely meaningless buzz words that pepper the newb threads... :rolleyes:

Just say it like it is. Your inflated ego told you to be a big boy and start on an SS instead of using your rational brain coupled with a real respect for your life.

Stop wasting your breath, that same ego is impenetrable when it comes your sense making.

Last week while I was riding down lakeshore I ran into a guy on a duc 848. nice bike. clearly too much for him though. he was trying oh so hard to pose. every few seconds he'd rev, then place his hand on his hip. of course everytime he did this he nearly dropped the bike, yet he kept doing it. he looked ridiculous. it was the start of the CNE so we had some time together as traffic was slow. you could of course start on whatever you want, but it's probably better to start smaller. A nice bike is such a waste on someone that can't handle it. I can't even begin to count the number of revving SS's that I've passed without even trying to pass them simply because it's clearly too much for that rider. it takes more than just controlling yourself to not pull the throttle. you're balancing a precision machine. I'm sure everyone of those guys I've passed would ramble on about how fast their bikes are and how they'd kill me in an empty stretch. I'm sure they would, but it's toronto. there aren't empty roads. A fast bike needs more than an ego and self confidence.

Back
Top Bottom