another new rider on a 600 | GTAMotorcycle.com

another new rider on a 600

chris208

hey everyone,
I've been doing a lot of research on motorcycles for a while now and was set on getting a 250 or 500 to start this fall. Recently, my friend had to get rid of his cbr600 and the offer was too good to refuse. I've been on this bike a few times so I know how it rides and I know i can handle it for basic riding, but I'd like your opinions on whether I should keep this or trade it for something smaller to start.

i know i'm gonna get a lot of fire on myself for saying this, but i just got my first bike ever as well and it's a cbr600,

just have to admit the bike won't be as forgiving and you have to learn things differently, if you're mature about the way you learn and ride, it should be ok. no one is telling you to rip it to 160 on day 2.

Get a 250 or 500. Ride it the rest of the year and sell at the beginning of next season for next to same price (if not more) than what you bought it for. When you've spent some seat time on something more forgiving, bust out that CBR and truly enjoy it.

If, practically or financially, this is the only way for you to go, then go for it but please be mindful of the advice from others to take it slow. I rode my first few seasons on a Ninja 250, then moved up to a CBR600RR. I'm glad I did it this way because it was a lot easier learning smooth shifting, feathering the clutch, engine braking, etc. on a less powerful bike. When I moved up to the 600, I found it much less forgiving because the 600 is so much more powerful.

thanks guys, I'm going to stick with it for now. If I'm uncomfortable after more riding on it I'll consider getting something else then.

My first bike is a 600. At first I was SLOW....I was still getting used to it and had to get comfortable. I'm pretty comfortable now, but still cautious. Always mindful of everything going on around me. And am now highway riding (off peak hours....rush hour is crazy).

Just be careful, as someone said, you don't need to let it rip at 160 on Day 2.

My first bike was my 600 also. Its perfect and i don't need to upgrade every year. Its not too much and not even close to too little. I'm hoping to have it for a few years:)

hey everyone,
I've been doing a lot of research on motorcycles for a while now and was set on getting a 250 or 500 to start this fall. Recently, my friend had to get rid of his cbr600 and the offer was too good to refuse. I've been on this bike a few times so I know how it rides and I know i can handle it for basic riding, but I'd like your opinions on whether I should keep this or trade it for something smaller to start.

welcome, new rider on a 600.

:cool:got my gsxr 600 about 2 months ago, first bike i've owned. doesnt scare me at all, it does have alot of power and i love it. respect the ride and your gonna be okay. :eek:

Welcome and enjoy the bike. There is nothing wrong with starting on a 600. As long as your a mature rider then you'll be fine. I started on a 650, my brother in law started on an r6, and a buddy of mine started on a gsxr750. As long as your patient with the learning process you'll be fine. Enjoy the bike, I wanted one but couldn't justify the insurance I was gonna pay, will prob upgrade to a 600ss next season. Ride safe

If you can afford the insurance and keep a level head, go for it. It's not like it can't be done.

go ahead and buy ur 600
its not dangerous or difficult to ride, if you respect it
rather than buying low powered 250s and get bored of them in a week
also the way things are in the gta, 250s may actually be dangerous to ride, with cagers driving like maniacs
you need power to get you out of trouble at times

I dunno why everyone says you will get bored on a 250. Why? because you cant accelerate fast enough, with all the traffic these days I dont think thats much of a downfall. I love my 250 and will probably have it for a good couple of years b4 upgrading to a 600. Its a fun little machine :) But do take it easy since your a beginner and maybe if it would make you feel safer you can do some mechanical upgrades to teh bike. (steel line brakes etc etc.)

I'm a brand new rider and didn't want to start with a 250. When I was searching for a bike, everyone was trying to get rid of their 250 to upgrade to 600+. I didn't want to be in that boat so I went for a 600. I was lucky to find one for the right price so I jumped on it.

If you have feel comfortable on a 600 for a first bike, and have some self control then go for it! I did and don't regret it.

I'm also a new rider on a 07 CBR 600rr. The bike is sweet and I feel comfortable!! don't let anyone discourage you. everyone learns at a different pace!

#1 Respect your ride and it will accept you :)

Last edited:
do you ride by finch like every other day around 6-ish?

i see a red cbr600 on finch like everyday

I'm also a new rider on a 07 CBR 600rr. The bike is sweet and I feel comfortable!! don't let anyone discourage you. everyone learns at a different pace!

#1 Respect your ride and it will accept you :)

stop listening to strangers on the internet and do what you think is best. some of us would cry if we were ever on a 500 or 250, others love these bikes. i too started on a 600 and 7 years later im here. but then again ive got a gift hahaha

only you know your abilities, confidence and self control. some people i know have been riding for 5+ years and shouldnt even be on a 125...

Back
Top Bottom