Another Battery Question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another Battery Question

Thanks guys! I recently noticed that it doesn't crank as smoothly when I start after a few days. But once the bike runs / I charge it, it's much easier to start.

If the guy that sold you the SV did replace the battery with new, then it’s about 1.5 yrs old. Until it depletes to a resting voltage below 12.45 I think you’ll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the guy that sold you the SV did replace the battery with new, then it’s about 1.5 yrs old. Until it depletes to a resting voltage below 12.45 I think you’ll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He came in his truck, had the battery with him, and installed it on the bike. I didn't see him pull it out of a box or anything. So, I'm guessing it was old and he just charged it and put it back in. I would have done the same if I were selling my bike

Time to bite the bullet and buy a new battery I guess...damn I wasn't expecting to shell out for a battery this season.

Load test (ct will do it for free) let's you know what the battery can do. Sound like it is getting tired but if it is capable of supplying enough amps, no need to fire the parts cannon yet.

to load test at home; you can measure the voltage while cranking over the engine - you should have 9.5 or higher.
12.5-12.6 resting isn't a written in stone thing- but for me that is where things are when they START to go - some say 12.4
but with todays electronics it is good to have a stronger rather than a weaker battery for trouble free running. ditto for winter temps.

Load test (ct will do it for free) let's you know what the battery can do. Sound like it is getting tired but if it is capable of supplying enough amps, no need to fire the parts cannon yet.
Top tip - I have found Parts Source is more likely to have a tester that can handle powersports batteries than CT is. Sometimes CT doesn't even know that they can't test them until you hand them the battery and they realize the machine won't let them punch in a CCA value that low

Back
Top Bottom