Another Battery Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another Battery Question

Merkid

Looks like my Suzuki Bandit battery is done. It is a Chinese brand that came with the bike 2 yrs ago and the previous owner told me it was a year old. I trickle charged it all winter and even now so when it recently gave up, I was surprised there was no warning.

A number of manufacturer suppliers from Fortnine are as follows:

- Yuasa
- Parts Unlimited (Chinese maybe ?)
- Bike Master " "
- BS Battery (no joke, this is the real name)
- Kimpex

The AGM variety do cost more but I am looking at more of a mid-way cost for a maintenance free version.

Can anyone recommend one of the above brands?

thanks

Same situation here. I need to do some more testing to make sure it's the battery today.

I heard it's best to keep the same manufacturer the bike came with.

But willing to try generic one from batteryclerk

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Yuasa is the standard big-name brand.

Trickle-charging all winter ... from what I've seen ... causes more trouble than leaving the bike (and battery) alone for the winter ... maybe giving it the occasional top-up charge every couple of months.

Depending on the intelligence of the charger; leaving a trickle charger on the battery all winter may do the battery in.... Esp. if it's a larger charger (motorcycle/power-sports battery tenders should usually be in the 500-750 ma range; car tenders may be as much as 7A)

Yuasa is a big name - I'm more familiar with their industrial/reserve stuff (which is now part of EnerSys) - but they are well regarded across the board.

That said - if you're looking at traditional lead acid or AGM/gel - they're all pretty similar; there's only so many ways to mix the 'special sauce' - go middle of the road, avoid the cheapest; no need for the most expensive 'name brand' - there's only a handful of factories that actually make the batteries anyways; and they just white-label them for other companies...

For lithium, that's a whole different deal - the quality of the BMS is critical to longevity of the battery back.

Yuasa is the standard big-name brand.

Trickle-charging all winter ... from what I've seen ... causes more trouble than leaving the bike (and battery) alone for the winter ... maybe giving it the occasional top-up charge every couple of months.
In my case, I trickle charge for a couple days, disconnect, then repeat monthly.

I guess it's just time. The bike is 2012 and looks like it's stock (yt12a-bs from FM)

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

I’ve always used yuasa. I figure for the price difference on an item that should last 5 yrs or more it’s worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Other possible options:

Canadian Tire has a range of Eliminator branded motorcycle batteries - they come in two versions for most sizes, dry shipped and factory filled.
Princess Auto has a range of Canadian Energy batteries

If I had to say who was the best, it would still probably be Yuasa. But lead-acid battery technology is not super complicated - I would expect that most options are good enough, except for the ones that are *suspiciously* cheap.

Other possible options:

Canadian Tire has a range of Eliminator branded motorcycle batteries - they come in two versions for most sizes, dry shipped and factory filled.
Princess Auto has a range of Canadian Energy batteries

If I had to say who was the best, it would still probably be Yuasa. But lead-acid battery technology is not super complicated - I would expect that most options are good enough, except for the ones that are *suspiciously* cheap.
The only batteries I have had consistent fail are the Canadian tire ones I find them expensive and junk. Never had one last more than one season, usually less.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I'll find out I guess! I ended up buying one out of frustration, It was a dry shipped AGM. I actually bought a factory filled one first, but the weirdly shaped battery terminals would not mate nicely with the leads on my TL1000S.

The only batteries I have had consistent fail are the Canadian tire ones I find them expensive and junk. Never had one last more than one season, usually less.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canadian Tire batteries are made by East Penn, currently... Pretty well regarded and generally high quality.

I'm surprised you're having a hard time with them. Only thing I can think of is old stock, that's not been properly floated and rotated.

Hey guys, quick question - I pulled my battery out and it reads 12.65 when I checked with a multimeter. Is the battery done? I have heard that it should read 13v or above.

The battery in question is a Yuasa, which came with the bike. The owner actually installed it when I went to check the bike. Not sure if he bought it new or was picked up from somewhere.

Hey guys, quick question - I pulled my battery out and it reads 12.65 when I checked with a multimeter. Is the battery done? I have heard that it should read 13v or above.

The battery in question is a Yuasa, which came with the bike. The owner actually installed it when I went to check the bike. Not sure if he bought it new or was picked up from somewhere.

13+ would be while the engine is running

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom