Amazing Roads of the World | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amazing Roads of the World

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I was randomly reading something about Norway over on AdvRider and came across this pic. Not sure if there is a thread on here of the worlds best roads, but it gives us something to think about when we can all travel again.

If you have pictures of amazing roads, post them up with the locations too. Doesn't have to be your pic, but the road should be amazing.

This one is Lysefjorden, Norway. Thread is this one: Norway...worlds most beautiful country
Lysefjorden%2C%20Norway-X2.jpg

near laguna san rafael national
park, on the border of
chile and argentina,
at a place called: Villa Cerro Castillo, Coyhaique, Aysén, Chile

1630968094913.png

near laguna san rafael national
park, on the border of
chile and argentina,
at a place called: Villa Cerro Castillo, Coyhaique, Aysén, Chile

View attachment 51078
That's incredible. Love the open views where you can always see the road much further ahead or behind you.

I have google mapped germany many times and i think they have great riding roads. I have never been but would love to go.

Last edited:
I was randomly reading something about Norway over on AdvRider and came across this pic. Not sure if there is a thread on here of the worlds best roads, but it gives us something to think about when we can all travel again.

If you have pictures of amazing roads, post them up with the locations too. Doesn't have to be your pic, but the road should be amazing.

This one is Lysefjorden, Norway. Thread is this one: Norway...worlds most beautiful country
Lysefjorden%2C%20Norway-X2.jpg

Wow, that is definitely epic!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Would need oxygen packs for that ride.
Not necessarily, if you have acclamatized to the altitude gradually. Also, there is a board there which suggests not staying more than 15 mins at the top.

The story is different if you fly in, rent a bike and gain 8000 feet in 35 kms to the top of the pass.
Great pic!
How cold does it get up there in the warmest part of the year?

The warmest months are July & August. But the weather is very unpredictable at passes such as these. The time this pic was taken was before mid-day, in the 2nd week of July, and it was snowing. Add wind chill to that and it can easily reach -10.

On good days when the sun is shining, it's a pleasent 7-10 degrees.

Not necessarily, if you have acclamatized to the altitude gradually. Also, there is a board there which suggests not staying more than 15 mins at the top.

The story is different if you fly in, rent a bike and gain 8000 feet in 35 kms to the top of the pass.

The warmest months are July & August. But the weather is very unpredictable at passes such as these. The time this pic was taken was before mid-day, in the 2nd week of July, and it was snowing. Add wind chill to that and it can easily reach -10.

On good days when the sun is shining, it's a pleasent 7-10 degrees.
In your ride report of that ride you did over that road, I'm not sure how you rode that high up without any real cold weather clothing. You definitely have a much higher cold tolerance than me. I would need heated gear with that wind chill.

When we went to Tibet a couple years ago, we got up to just over 17,000ft and it was damn cold! That wind chill made it feel like it was well below zero for sure, while down at 8,000ft it felt like it was 15deg. The wind was so strong and there was no escape from it.

I think I took the picture below along the Friendship Highway in Tibet at just over 17000ft, on our way to Everest. In order to really appreciate this road, you have to zoom into the picture and look how the road continues to the right. Everest is the highest peak in the distance:
i-FMd2DWw-5K.jpg

Wow! Isn't that purely magical? :) I go weak in the knees when I see moonscapes like these.

The Kathmandu - Lhasa road, or the Friendship highway, is THE dream ride for me. Hopefully, someday I will be able to traverse this route on two wheels.

Thanks for sharing!

In your ride report of that ride you did over that road, I'm not sure how you rode that high up without any real cold weather clothing. You definitely have a much higher cold tolerance than me. I would need heated gear with that wind chill.

The fact that I was in my early twenties, and was super excited to be there may have contributed to the tolerance. Can't say for sure that I will be able to traverse the same road today, in a jacket and a thermal layer underneath. Didn't even have a riding jacket at the time:

khardungla top.jpg

Last edited:
you guys want some scenic roads, check out Itchy Boots on YouTube...any of her seasons are great, especially the one through South America...also, watch Got2Go as she's currently in the US going from west to east (she's in Utah/Colorado and the roads there are spectacular)...both of them went to Iceland and man, the scenery there was surreal...I live vicariously through these ladies :love:

irohaza.jpgIrohazaka in Tochigi Japan. I rode it in 2016 and it's really quite amazing. It also has 2 seperate roads, 1 for the way up, and another for the way down. So no need to worry about oncoming traffic. :cool:

Link to my trip up it:

L.A. Drives: Angeles Crest Highway​

Definitely on the bucket list.
I love L.A!
That was a fave for me when I lived there. There are countless canyon roads around LA, I was lucky to do the routes from the PCH in Malibu thru to my office in Thousand Oaks every day.
B41AE807-9FC5-46C9-9B58-81E5B520D3E2.jpeg

That was a fave for me when I lived there. There are countless canyon roads around LA, I was lucky to do the routes from the PCH in Malibu thru to my office in Thousand Oaks every day.
View attachment 51149
Can’t imagine being able to ride that kind of stuff every day as a need to get to and from work!
How long did that usually take each trip if you were taking a reasonably direct path and what bike did you normally do that on?

Can’t imagine being able to ride that kind of stuff every day as a need to get to and from work!
How long did that usually take each trip if you were taking a reasonably direct path and what bike did you normally do that on?
I lived at the south end of Ventura, took 25 minutes on the 101 slab, and 50-70 minutes if I went via PCH then thru the canyons. I had an ancient CB750F, my business partner had an early 90s Ninja 7XR that he never rode, I used it more than my own bike. I did the canyon route a couple of times each week for 2 years.

In the Early 80s I lived in Hacienda Heights, a small hilly outcrop in the LA basin. This was my route to work, I did this twice a day for 4 years.
1631404264883.png

The video below isn't me, but it was my ride. My house was at about 50 seconds into the video on the right. Best 8 minutes of my day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom