Adventures of crashing in Vietnam, breaking my leg | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventures of crashing in Vietnam, breaking my leg

regder

Site Supporter
Story time, excuse the length, jump to the pictures and TLTR at the end if needed.

On an open ended backpacking trip through South East Asia, decided to buy a bike and ride through Vietnam. The plan was to ride south to north, possibly turning around and riding south through Laos and Cambodia. Picked up an XR150 in Saigon, rode around Saigon for a few days before embarking on my trip.

On my second full day after leaving, after only 200km's or so, crashed. Going around a mild corner doing maybe 50km/h in the middle of nowhere, the front end washed out. Felt like I was riding on ice it happened so quickly. As I'm sliding down the road, I'm thinking it's not that bad, I'm not going to hit anything and neither is the bike. Once I stop sliding, do a mental check and I'm battered and bleeding from some minor road rash, but feel ok. Try to get on my feet, nope, not happening.

The farmers watching this help me up on my good leg, and hop over to the other side of the road and set me in a chair. They also pull the bike out of the road. At this point I notice a faint dark line on the road where I crashed, I assume it was diesel based on how faint and slippery it was. As I'm noticing this, a scooter passes and crashes in the exact same spot, thankfully he was able to walk it off. The locals decide to throw some sand on the road to hopefully stop more people from crashing.

After ten minutes of sitting, the pain in my knee is getting worse and worse. The locals help me take my jeans off to check my knee, looks swollen but no visual sign of any damage. They also blot some mystery liquid/antibiotic on my road rash. Once we come to the conclusion I'm not riding away, we try to figure out how to get me to a hospital. They offer to take me by scooter, but that's not happening as I can't bend my leg. After what seems like forever of me trying to explain via google translate that I need a car, they understood and called in a local cab driver. They promise to look after the bike and I'm off to the "hospital"

The local hospital he takes me to looks like something out of a Saw movie. Everything is dirty, mould on the walls, bugs everywhere, just plain scary. The cab driver stays with me and explains the situation. They do an x-ray, no lead covering to protect my junk, done by what looks like a 15yo kid in jeans and a fake Adidas t-shirt. X-ray doesn't show a fracture, they tell me it's bruised, give me a leg brace and tell me to stay off it for a couple weeks, and a script for some mild pain meds and antibiotics. Total cost me maybe $30usd, gotta love communism.

Now out of the hospital, I need to figure out where to go. I quickly google a cheap guesthouse nearby and tell the cab driver to drop me off there. Show up at the guesthouse, without a reservation or calling ahead, explain the situation and tell them it's hopefully 2-3 days. Can't even imagine what they were thinking. They're nice enough to take me in and help me into a room. The next day they offer to drive me to the "good" local hospital for a second opinion. The good local hospital, while much better than the first, is still far from western standards. Doctor looks at the previous x-ray, comes to the same conclusion as the first, and drains 5 syringes of bloody puss out of my swollen knee before sending me on my way.

I stayed at the guesthouse for almost two weeks. They took care of me as if I was family. Fed me three home cooked meals a day. Made sure I took my meds. I can't thank them enough. Binh An Backpacker Guesthouse in Ba Ria if you are passing through.

After almost two weeks, my knee wasn't getting any better, so they took me back to the "good" local hospital. Dr thinks I may have a ligament injury and orders an MRI. MRI tech doesn't want to do it for some reason, I think because I'm Canadian, not sure why. Finally he agrees to do it, and then turns me away when he finds out I have metal plates in my arm.

No idea what to do at this point. I'm crippled in a foreign country and don't know anyone. Finally make the decision to leave the guesthouse that has been taking amazing care of me and go back to Saigon. The guesthouse owner arranges for the same cab driver from before to drive me to Saigon.

I tell him to take me to City International Hospital in Saigon, which google told me was a good tourist hospital. What a breath of fresh air. Everything is clean and new, and everyone is super friendly and helpful. Nicer than any western hospital I have been to. Immediately see the head orthopaedic doctor, he sends me off to get an MRI. Explain the metal in my arm, and he brushes it off as no problem. MRI techs felt the same. MRI shows a clear fracture in my tibial plateau, where the big shin bone becomes the knee. He gives me the option of surgery to put in a plate and screws or a full leg cast. I go for the cast and decide to fly home.

Travel insurance (World Nomads) came through and flew me home business class on their dime.

Got it checked out by a local doctor as soon as I got home. He says that he would have operated if caught earlier, but the bone was not badly displaced and was already setting so I should be ok with letting it heal without surgery.

In total, I was in Vietnam for 2.5 weeks after the crash. Got the cast off at 4 weeks and allowed to bend my leg but not bear weight. Allowed to start putting weight on it at 8 weeks, transitioning from crutches to walking as I felt comfortable. Started walking unassisted at 9.5 weeks. Felt comfortable in my leg strength to get back on the back at 10 weeks and 1 day. That was three days ago.

Feels great to start getting back to normal physically.
TLTR: Bought a bike in Saigon, crashed going around a corner on diesel. Injured my knee which wasn't diagnosed properly for two weeks. Flew home, and am now back on the bike after 10 weeks since the crash.

XR150 ready for some adventuring

9lkDs2ml.jpg

Break, what break?

IlkKLMql.jpg

Oh, that break...

Rn5m1b1l.jpg

This is after they drained it, one is not like the other

dXgnsCKl.jpg

Wear your gear, road rash is not fun

nnnVP08l.jpg

Not cheap Vietnamese gear

tJJKsWRl.jpg

Was a lot worse, almost healed here

xAdarayl.jpg

That's quite the adventure,
is this your first ever crash?

Wow... What an adventure! Glad you're healed and back on a bike!

I would of been freaking out about a week in! Nice to know the people there are very nice tho :)

That's quite the adventure,
is this your first ever crash?

Second crash, previous was 7 years ago. Did that one in Virginia, broke my forearm that time...

Wow... What an adventure! Glad you're healed and back on a bike!

I would of been freaking out about a week in! Nice to know the people there are very nice tho :)

Thanks! I try not to freak out, things generally work themselves out.

You should put those rash pics in the forum New Riders - Start here..

I count myself as lucky, in about a million km and 40+ years I have never gone down (on a bike). I came off a sled once that put me in a walker for 6 mo, but fortunately you don't get rashed sliding on ice. I've broken lots of things over the years, meh -- I think rashing scares me the most.

Eventually you learn not to lead with your palms :|

Any idea what part hit you just above the knee? was it under the handlebar maybe or top triple tree ?

Damn man! Glad you`re relatively OK.

I did a road trip in Thailand a few years back and i went in full damn gear, because no way in hell was i going to a hospital in that country. Over 40 degrees on most of my riding days and i don't regret my decision for a second. You wouldn't believe the number of western tourists in Bangkok limping around and on crutches from 2 wheeled accidents, people are nuts.

Going again in '21, will still bring a jacket and gloves, maybe skip the riding jeans. We'll see....probably not lol.

What a trip! Glad to hear you got home safe and had good people around you to take care of you. Hope you heal up well.
My wife just suggested to me last night that we go to Vietnam in a couple months and rent scooters to ride the country for a few weeks, so unfortunately I won't be able to share your story with her or we will be walking everywhere instead.

Ahh the old diesel spill wipe-out. Almost had one of those 35 years ago coming around a corner in the rain. Went sideways about 2.5' with a 750 but luckily gained control (to this day I don't know how). Anyway, It's great to hear the folks in Nam took care of you so well. Wouldn't mind doing a trip there some day.

What a trip! Glad to hear you got home safe and had good people around you to take care of you. Hope you heal up well.
My wife just suggested to me last night that we go to Vietnam in a couple months and rent scooters to ride the country for a few weeks, so unfortunately I won't be able to share your story with her or we will be walking everywhere instead.
Get the international drivers permit, bring your lid.

Glad you are mostly ok. What's happening to the bike? Continuing the trip in a few months? Gifting it to your rescuers (maybe the guesthouse)?

Any idea what part hit you just above the knee? was it under the handlebar maybe or top triple tree ?

The inside of my knee left a good size dent in the tank, which is where it broke. It was either that, or I may have stuck my foot down as I was rolling down the road.

lol, Vietnam is an amazing country. Note that most people suggest a minimum of 3 weeks to ride from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, but I'm sure it can be done in 2 if you bypass some things. I was figuring about a month for me.

Glad you are mostly ok. What's happening to the bike? Continuing the trip in a few months? Gifting it to your rescuers (maybe the guesthouse)?

The guesthouse owner picked it up from the locals where I crashed, true enough they looked after it. Once I knew that I was flying home, they rode it to Saigon for me and returned it to the shop where I bought it from. I had an agreement with the shop that they would buy it back for $300/month less than what I bought it for. They wired me $300 less than what I gave them which was fair, and they didn't charge me for any damage. Damage was limited to a broken left mirror, dent in the tank, and rash on the leverguard and top case.

That's quite the read Edgar!
Sad to know you had to suffer.
Good to see you're back riding again already!

That's quite the read Edgar!
Sad to know you had to suffer.
Good to see you're back riding again already!

Thanks Gary!

Ahh the old diesel spill wipe-out. Almost had one of those 35 years ago coming around a corner in the rain. Went sideways about 2.5' with a 750 but luckily gained control (to this day I don't know how). ...
You didn't let go of the bars (y) that's a good start.

We just met with friends this week who are helping us`plan our trip to Thailand in February. They stated "Do not, under any circumstance, ride mopeds or motorcycles there!".
I'm pretty adventurous and stubborn but I'm going to take their advice on this.

Back
Top Bottom