Adventure: Toronto to Vancouver via Canada and back via the USA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventure: Toronto to Vancouver via Canada and back via the USA

Chaos

Well, the time has come. The bike is almost packed. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am heading off tomorrow to Vancouver via Canada and back via the USA. I've given myself 4 weeks.

I'm looking at 500 KM days (avg), and am going to stay in hotels/motels/friends and camping if I can't find a place to stay. I'm going to take my laptop and create my route as I go. Should be fun!

Bike is a Monster 696 with new Bridgestone 023s. Just had the 24K service done, so it's as good as it will get.
Luggage includes a Givi hard tail case, soft saddle bags, and another duffel bag.

I will write logs here when time permits. See you in September.

That sound's like a great trip, have fun.

Are you going to visit Vancouver Island?

I did the same thing twice in a car. 14 hour drives and I have to say northern Ontario was horrible. I wish I had a bike to do it, it was really twisty but in a car, exhausting. Look out for animals, Moose crossing was busy and I took out a porcupine one day. Once you hit the rockies you will love it.

Enjoy the trip, look forward to hearing your experience.

I did the same thing twice in a car. 14 hour drives and I have to say northern Ontario was horrible. I wish I had a bike to do it, it was really twisty but in a car, exhausting. Look out for animals, Moose crossing was busy and I took out a porcupine one day. Once you hit the rockies you will love it.

Enjoy the trip, look forward to hearing your experience.

I've heard about the wildlife crossing. I'm only travelling during the day, to keep the surprises to a minimum. Gotta watch the speed too.

Yup, that's part of the plan. I have a friend living out there, so I'll trust him to show me around the good spots.

I lived in Victoria while in school. The roads on the island are really scenic.

Well, the time has come. The bike is almost packed. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am heading off tomorrow to Vancouver via Canada and back via the USA. I've given myself 4 weeks.

I'm looking at 500 KM days (avg), and am going to stay in hotels/motels/friends and camping if I can't find a place to stay. I'm going to take my laptop and create my route as I go. Should be fun!

Bike is a Monster 696 with new Bridgestone 023s. Just had the 24K service done, so it's as good as it will get.
Luggage includes a Givi hard tail case, soft saddle bags, and another duffel bag.

I will write logs here when time permits. See you in September.

Have fun, watch your givi rack, they like to snap. Mine just broke on me right before a trip, but you sure wouldn't want it breaking while on the road. If you can load the heavier stuff in the side bags.

Above all ride safe.

Big trucks.

Went to Minaki for our honeymoon.

Wife kept dreaming of dying in a head on with one of the big trucks on the road.

Made for an interesting trip.

Day one riding is over. I am in a hotel in Sudbury. It was a short day today since I left Toronto a bit later. Tomorrow's stop is Wawa.

Random thoughts from day one:

1. The sights through up to Sudbury are nice. It keeps you looking around.
2. Sudbury is quiet. Unlike Toronto, everything here is closed on Sunday.
3. I took the proverbial picture of the big nickel. I didn't get a chance to go into the mining museum though, as it was closed.

Approximate route:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=toront...UFU1Mg;FZBhxQIdsOIr-yntMvHGNv8uTTH4jJyHuNWNZg

Did this run across Canada to Vancouver and then down the west coast to California about 20+ years ago now and it was the trip of a life time!! The highlight was the Rocky Mountains through Alberta and into BC. Stunning views and great roads. Best of luck on your trip and enjoy. I look forward to your posts and hearing about your ride as you move along. Cheers!!

4 weeks doesn't sound like enough time! I'm driving from Vancouver to Thunder Bay in three weeks, just to give us enough time to see stuff on the way. (And then we're doing the 16-18 hour mammoth slog from T-Bay to Toronto in two days :).

Have lots of fun!

Awesome, I just did the opposite trip... Victoria to Toronto... went to Calgary first for a few days then traveled through the US-2 most of the way from Glacier National Park in Montana to Sault Saint Marie. 4 weeks is plenty :) Have a fun safe ride, I miss the twisties of BC already. Definitely watch out for the wildlife on the road... including porcupines and squirrels, seriously! PM me if you have any questions about the route back.

Hey all,

I am in Edmonton now. I got here a few days ago. I would have left today for Jasper and the Ice highway (it runs down in between the rockies. Highway 93 I think), but, believe it or not, I passed a kidney stone at 1:30 am this morning. I was hospitalized until about 10 am this morning. I suppose the moral of the story is that if you're going to pass a stone when you're on a bike trip, do it where there are hospitals :)

Anyway, so far my stops have been the following:

Stop KM
Sudbury 386
Wawa 532 via Sault Ste Marie
Thunder Bay 482
Kenora 499
Moosimin 569 via Winnipeg, Brandon
Saskatoon 479 via Regina, Moose Jaw
Edmonton 524

The highlights so far:
- The ride around lake superior is fantastic. In particular, the stretch on 17 to Wawa.
- I got a speeding ticket outside of Wawa. There are tonnes of OPP stations on that highway. I let the throttle get the best of me.
- On the ride between Thunder Bay and Wawa, there was a ton of road construction and it was also raining. They tore some of the roads down to loose dirt. So with the dirt and the rain, it was like riding in MX. I had a couple of close calls (in particular when you hit a deep pot hole. you don't know how deep they were because they were all filled with water from the rain).
- The Prairies are endless. As a matter of fact, they can be quite hypnotic.
- The speed limit on Highway 1 is 110. I'd say most people were doing about 130. And not a cop in sight the whole time.

That's it for now. I hit the mountains tomorrow. I am looking forward to that.

Will check in soon.

other places to note police activity (i didn't see any in wawa) blind river, sault saint marie, ignace (didn't see any but was warned by locals) and upsala (also didn't see any but was warned by locals).

watch out on the praries (north and south dakota) coming back. many people there are blaming canada for the flooding they are experiencing. vandalism to cars and such has occurred.

When you get to BC, if you're not there already, do not take HWY 5 (which is Kokahalla...or whichever it spells like), from Kelowna take 97 north (not 97C), down to Osoyus, and then take #3 west - way more fun to ride, fewer cars and twisties, and twisties, and .... twisties :)

Ride safe!

Back
Top Bottom