Adding a fuel gauge to a bike that doesn't have one.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adding a fuel gauge to a bike that doesn't have one..

thegamb8

I'm planning to go on some serious road trips this spring/summer and was wondering if I could somehow attach a fuel gauge to my bike so I could tell what the level is.

I'm used to motorcycles giving me the slight jerk when they're low on fuel and I'm very capable of switching to Reserve without stopping or doing a reset on my odometer and filling every 200/250 kms....

but still....

If anyone has done this before, i'd love to hear from you.

I have a 2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom

Cheers!

I never used the fuel gauge on my old ninja, it was terribly inaccurate. I knew that bike would do 275-300km on a tank if I was wringing its neck so I just filled up every 275-300km.

I think it'd be tough.

You'd have to cut a hole in the bottom of the tank, and then a flange, and then wire up a float meter, and figure out the difference in signal (voltage?) as the float goes up and down. Then, send it out to a meter on the bar.

Is there a version of your bike, or a similar bike, with a floating switch or gauge already built into the tank? That would make life much easier. Plan B might be to find a smooshed or wrecked tank and then salvage out the float meter assembly.

I'm planning to go on some serious road trips this spring/summer and was wondering if I could somehow attach a fuel gauge to my bike so I could tell what the level is.

I'm used to motorcycles giving me the slight jerk when they're low on fuel and I'm very capable of switching to Reserve without stopping or doing a reset on my odometer and filling every 200/250 kms....

but still....

If anyone has done this before, i'd love to hear from you.

I have a 2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom

Cheers!

If you know you get between 200 and 250 km per tank, how would a fuel gauge benefit you?

If you know you get between 200 and 250 km per tank, how would a fuel gauge benefit you?

Its just a project I am considering for my bike so if I forget to reset the trip meter or am not paying attention to the odometer, I can have a backup visual solution. Its a nice to have.. definitely not a necessity.

Its just a project I am considering for my bike so if I forget to reset the trip meter or am not paying attention to the odometer, I can have a backup visual solution. Its a nice to have.. definitely not a necessity.

Do u have a fuel light?
Most gauges are inaccurate because of the shape of the tank.

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

True, but you can adjust and 'learn' how quickly the gauge goes down.

Both of my bikes so far have had digital bar gauges. My bike gets quite different mileage in town vs. on the freeway vs. on the highway, so I really like having that gauge.

Do u have a fuel light?
Most gauges are inaccurate because of the shape of the tank.

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

Unfortunately I do not. I have 4 lights which are (from left to right)
1. High beam
2. Turn signals
3. Neutral
4. Oil check

Unless your bike has a fuel gauge from the factory I hate to say you are SOL. The expense to try to fit a fuel level float into a tank that was not designed to hold one is the first hurdle. As to the gauge yes that electronic one posted may work but you still have to somehow install a float level sender in the tank, and get one that will fit your tank (if you could find one) and then it has to work properly without any obstructions etc, etc. etc.

I have bikes with and without, my Bonneville I just reset to 0 every fill up and at 200k I fill up and have never ran out of gas in 34 years.

Unfortunately I do not. I have 4 lights which are (from left to right)
1. High beam
2. Turn signals
3. Neutral
4. Oil check

I must admit to have some kind of indicator will be nice, but to install a gauge would involve quite a bit of work as some members have pointed out

Sent from my tablet using my paws

there was a discussions in the technical subforum a long time ago. try searching and see if you can find it.

Very interesting. But I think I'll have to drill a hole into the tank. No?

Can't be as easy as replacing the current cap with the screw on can it?

Very interesting. But I think I'll have to drill a hole into the tank. No?

Can't be as easy as replacing the current cap with the screw on can it?

Theyre replacement gas caps for ATVs. I think you just need to match up the size and length and you're good to go.

Ive seen a very very simple one that you'd need to drill through your cap but I wouldn't recommend that one for a bike.

Be careful if you drill any holes into your tank. The last thing you need in a crash is to have whatever is drilled in fall out/get smashed and start pouring gasoline all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom