Acanac? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Acanac?

daught

How is acanac these days? Currently I am with teksavvy, but I am moving. If I switch it ends up costing me more. As a new client with Acanac it would cost me less to set-up and its $5 less a month for 25mbit instead of teksavvy's 18mbit and I could really use the 100GB online storage. BUT, I had acanac 7-8 ago and they were HORRIBLE. Internet went down daily. It could have been the lines, but what really bugged me, was their customer support. I was on the phone for HOURS trying to cancel their service and no one picked up. After two weeks I went to their office... and I almost got the cops called on me.

I heard good things about them here and there, but I wonder is their support service reasonable these days? Do they have any one?

quick tip: it's Friday, call Acanac's tech dept (let's say around 7 pm) - see how quickly you get through. And one more tip: tomorrow is Saturday, call them again (around noon I guess) - see how quickly they answer their phones. that's what I'd do.

Teksavvy is horrible with customer support, so a switch to Acanac cannot be worse from that perspective at least...
I have a friend with Acanac, he has nothing but praise for them.

Just called them... Dry loop is included in the price!!

How's their service?

works just fine
what was is their pricing now?
my friend has been using them for a few years now and no complaints
if you need to talk to them you can wait for 5 minutes or so at times but that was because she forgot her account setup info needed for wifi router (DSL PPPoE)

works just fine
what was is their pricing now?
my friend has been using them for a few years now and no complaints
if you need to talk to them you can wait for 5 minutes or so at times but that was because she forgot her account setup info needed for wifi router (DSL PPPoE)

$40 for dsl for 25/10, 400GB. Dryloop is included. Static IP is $2 / month.

$130 for the modem and $30 for activation.

Anyone using Start? What kind of up/down speeds are you getting compared to the packages "up to **" speeds?

Acanac DSL will give you the same max speeds as Start DSL or Teksavvy DSL or Velcom DSL. Depends on your modem (tip: don't buy TP-Link modems, recently they started using inferior components in ALL of their models), phone cord, inside wiring (if you have 10 working jacks, there's a good chance you'll be getting intermittent connectivity lol) and Bell infrastructure in the area as all of it will use Bell copper for the last mile. Same goes with cable and Rogers/Cogeco/Videotron infra in your area.

I'm with Velcom and they have been pretty stable so far with only 2 outages that I detected on their end in the past 2.5yrs (not counting Bell-related losses of sync and my equipment crapping out). For one of those outages I waited for almost 6 hours on hold and when I got somebody they took me through the equipment troubleshooting paces even though they knew their LNS went down; later on I found out it was all over the forums.

Cable infrastructure is less dependent on stuff on your end, but when it goes down, it typically affects huge numbers of subscribers and lasts pretty long. Also, I found Bell techs/contractors to be more professional about doing installs/repairs than Rogers techs/contractors. For a failed Rogers install you typically have to wait 4-7 days (now it's longer because of the backlog they are experiencing) until somebody else comes in and hopefully does their job.

General facts:
-Almost all DSL in ON/QC goes over Bell copper (so if your dsl is crap with Velcom, it will be crappy with Teksavvy)
-Almost all cable in ON/QC goes over Rogers/Cogeco/Videotron copper (so if your cable is crap with Start, it will be crappy with Acanac)
-To get optimum performance out of DSL, make sure of the following:
1) That your inside wiring is up to snuff. The fewer jacks you have connected at your demarcation point (box where your inside wiring connects to the Bell service drop) the better. I am just running one jack and it has no phone service, directly wired with Cat 6 cabling (you can get identical performance out of Cat 5 or Cat 5e), also use quality jacks (I love quality keystone jacks)
2) That you are using a good modem. Don't buy a TP-Link. If you have an 8840 that is more than 3 years old or an 8950 or an 8960, they will work fine as long as they are in good shape. If you have an 8616, 8816, 8951, 8961 or any other model, use them as paperweights. A good cheap ADSL2+ modem is D-Link DSL-520b that Canada Computers has on sale for $27 (typically $35-40). GET IT!!! For VDSL (15/10, 25/10, 50/10 DSL plans), you will have to pay $100-130 and generally it's better to buy from your ISP.
3) If a Bell repair ticket is opened by your ISP and the problem turns out to be with your inside wiring, modem, computer or phone cord, you will be paying a Bell diagnostic maintenance charge in the $100 ballpark for sending a Bell tech out for nothing. If the problem is with Bell infrastructure including the drop to your residence, the repair is free.
4) Your wireless performance is not your ISP's problem. It's on radio frequencies and can be affected by other wireless networks in your area, power lines, your appliances, cordless phones..... If you're planning on repainting, that's a good time to run Ethernet everywhere.
5) If you have an active phone line and a DSL line make sure all your phones/faxes go through a filter and any DECT 6.0 bases have to go through 2 filters (they can be had for $3 a pop)

5) If you have an active phone line and a DSL line make sure all your phones/faxes go through a filter and any DECT 6.0 bases have to go through 2 filters (they can be had for $3 a pop)

I presume this doesn't apply when using a VoIP service (Cisco Voip Adapter) with DSL? I guess, to be safe, a filter could be installed in the phone line port on the Cisco adapter then connect it to the BIX termination block for the entire home.

I presume this doesn't apply when using a VoIP service (Cisco Voip Adapter) with DSL? I guess, to be safe, a filter could be installed in the phone line port on the Cisco adapter then connect it to the BIX termination block for the entire home.

VoIP is a non issue. This only applies to phones plugged into phone jacks if the subscriber has plain-old telephone service and DSL on the same line. If you have a dry loop (phone line without voice service, just used for Internet access), your ATA plugs into your router and your phones plug directly into the ATA, no filters needed.

With cable on Acanac I'm currently at 25Mb/512Kb...

There are some Rogers upgrades being done so as long as the modem will allow it, the plans are 25/2 and 35/3. New activations will most likely start that way and older subs will have their speeds bumped when some Rogers drone gets around to it.

I have been using Acanac for more than 10 years since they opened for business, till I moved to an area that TechSavvy is available besides Rogers. I never had a single bad experience with Acanac and their techs know what they are doing only if you could get hold of them, because they only solve user problems using emails. The quality of the phone line reps are not much better than that of Tim Hortons so don't expect them to know more than what you do as users.
Regarding TechSavvy, I have to hold the phone for 30min and up if I want to talk to one of their technical reps since they are so busy there, and I guess that is why Acanac choose solutions through emails.

Back
Top Bottom