A REAL adv creation. | GTAMotorcycle.com

A REAL adv creation.

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Paint by Robbie Nigl of Peach Pit Paints.The man behind the "Muffin".

Meanwhile, this guy did the same trip on a basically stock Ducati 998, then continued on for another 80,000 km's so far:

I'm curious - why use spoked wheels for adventure bikes?
Aren't they more susceptible to damage vs cast or forged wheels?
bmw-r80-adventure-bike-1.jpg

Actually, they're less susceptible to damage than cast wheels.

It comes down to rigidity vs flex. The spokes provide a lot of flex and transfer energy throughout the wheel when running on rough terrain. Cast wheels are more rigid and are great for transferring power to the road, but on a hard enough hit, they will crack instead of bending like spoked rims.

A bent spoked rim can be cajoled back into shape trailside using a rock and tire irons. And even if it's not perfectly true, the inner tube will still hold air till you can get back to civilization.

A cracked cast wheel needs to be replaced or TIG welded. Not something you can do on the side of the road. And if you are leaking air and don't carry a spare tube (not many riders running tubeless tires do) to stuff inside the broken rim, then you're calling for a tow.

The thinking is they will bend not break, all dirt bikes have spoked wheels as well.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I really like it. I have a soft spot for the boxer engine bikes anyway.

My R1200 is getting a little long in the tooth. It has 280k on it and I was thinking about getting a R1000 or R1100 and building a hard core adventure. I really like the shape of the older bikes compared with the current R1250, and there is so much good suspension that could be swapped and it would be good to replace BMW's telelever system on the 1100 with something a bit more capable/tune-able.

Seeing this wets my appetite again. I even love that Marlboro-esq colour scheme. Very nice. There is just something classic about.

The thing that really puts me off is the cost of replacement parts. I have not really priced it out but I would imagine that re-building a 1100 motor is not cheap.

My R1200 is getting a little long in the tooth. It has 280k on it and I was thinking about getting a R1000 or R1100 and building a hard core adventure. I really like the shape of the older bikes compared with the current R1250, and there is so much good suspension that could be swapped and it would be good to replace BMW's telelever system on the 1100 with something a bit more capable/tune-able.

Seeing this wets my appetite again. I even love that Marlboro-esq colour scheme. Very nice. There is just something classic about.

The thing that really puts me off is the cost of replacement parts. I have not really priced it out but I would imagine that re-building a 1100 motor is not cheap.

The pinnacle of the boxer enduros, IMO:

TOZYYSV2PFOFHJJTXUHPWFJ234.jpg

Forks FTW.

So many bikes I regret not buying when they were brand new. You get that gut feeling like you just know it's gonna be a collectible, but stupid things like $$$ get in the way...

Last edited:

I think that was what Robbie Nigl was after when he painted it.
Sfl8vIH.jpg

Paint by Robbie Nigl of Peach Pit Paints.The man behind the "Muffin".

He echoes my concept of how motorcycles should be. It's a very simple motorcycle, easy to repair with simple hand tools. You don't have to worry about fuel pumps or water pumps failing, leaking water gaskets, leaking hydraulic brake lines, it's just a very simple machine that is easy to improvise to keep running in the middle of nowhere. Simplicity has a beauty all its own.

They don't say what kind of compression he's running, but that has to be relevant since fuel quality is poor in many places and it could cause detonation. He's running carbs, so there's no computer to back off timing. Therefore he's either taking chances, or he's running about 11:1 with a rich fuel mixture. I'd say the low-end torque is what will make that bike sing on the back trails.

Suffice to say though, even in the most remote parts of the third world motorcycles are now common, and so are people with the skills to repair the less sophisticated ones. Watch an "On Her Bike" vid and you can see that only a few places in the world are so remote that a bike like an Enfield, old BMW, or Honda can't be repaired.

I remember they had some problems with the aerodynamics on those race cars. Downforce quickly became an aerofoil...

This is why I like motorcycles, stupid performance for a fraction of the price

Not to mention 2 wheels

I remember they had some problems with the aerodynamics on those race cars. Downforce quickly became an aerofoil...

I think that race track had the hump removed after that one. Same as the hump that used to be on the back straight away at mosport.

I think that race track had the hump removed after that one. Same as the hump that used to be on the back straight away at mosport.

For me it was those concrete patches at several turns that had my sphincter puckering on the motorcycle seat. I heard they tore them out and resurfaced after we left. Would have liked to have tried it out with the new asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom