6,579km CBR East coast Roadtrip 2011 - 10 days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

6,579km CBR East coast Roadtrip 2011 - 10 days

Partially because I let my passport expire, partially because I wanted to keep my dollars in Canada.

I did the route towards there thru canada and back thru the US. I find the way thru Canada was boring. Lots of straight roads.

OP, did u went alone again? It seems like u got good weather there. We didn't, it was a mix.

Next time I want to do it alone, do lots of exploring. There is alot to see if u take your time.

LOL how does the beer vending machine work?

3.50$ in gets you one COLD beer! The machine shuts off from like 3am to 10am or something...but its a help yourself system!

Well that does it. I wanna go! Wife and I are going to head out there next year, did Gaspé this Sep and as much as I really wanted to do the Cabot Trail, we would have been rushed. Judging by your pics, Gaspé seems very similar in scenery. I can't wait.

If you're looking for some exciting roads a little closer to home try Skyline Dr and the BRP, maybe not as beautiful as Canada but the roads are amazing as far as riding goes. I realize it's not that much closer but they are really worth the trip imho.

Its well worth the trip! Give yourself a FULL day to do the if you plan on stopping. I' stayed right on the trail close to the park (best section) in Cheticamp and used that as home base so i could just wake up and be on the trail. Also, for those with limited fuel there are only 3 high test fuel stops so you have to get gas when you can.

Thank you for the excellent report and the wonderful pictures.

Two important things about Cape Breton Island:

1. It is a route to Newfoundland. If this were not a Cape Breton thread,
I would try in my limited way to explain how wonderful Newfoundland is.

2. The Fortress of Louisbourg is worthy of a whole day's visit. It's a
reconstructed town-within-a-fortress and is very entertaining and
educational, but above all it is plenty of fun. Please visit it for a full day.

Also important is The Alexander Graham Bell Historic Site at
Baddeck, NS. You can learn a lot there, also, but again this is fun!

Nova Scotia is a very gracious province, and if you plan to ride to it
or in it in 2012, you'll do well to ask Nova Scotia for information now.

I hope to be able to have more time in the future to take the ferry and go check out newfoundland. I wasnt that impressed by PEI...

As far as info....a great resource is http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/ order yours everything you need is in there - and it can fit under your seat!

both very good reasons

Being a small business owner myself I try and support fellow Canadian business' any chance I can and do my part.

I did the route towards there thru canada and back thru the US. I find the way thru Canada was boring. Lots of straight roads.

OP, did u went alone again? It seems like u got good weather there. We didn't, it was a mix.

Next time I want to do it alone, do lots of exploring. There is alot to see if u take your time.

I went alone, which has its pro's and cons. Weather was great for the most part aside from yesterday i got soaked in a downpour for 4 hours straight from Ottawa back to Toronto.

Awesome pics, awesome bike. Thanks for sharing.

Seems like there's no traffic nor a single person everywhere...! The solitary-ness is pretty cool. Was it September?

Wish I could do that.

Nice pic's. Did you go with other riders or by yourself? How comfortable was the CBR on such a long ride? When I had my 98 gixxer 750 I rode to Ottawa and within the first 1.5 hours my leg started cramping up cus of the race riding position. Thats why next spring im gunna buy the Honda CB1000ra instead of another ss bike. I want to ride to Florida next summer and I want to be comfortable but im not a cruiser guy. Not ready for a VFR either. I want a comfortable bike that has jam.

Nice pic's. Did you go with other riders or by yourself? How comfortable was the CBR on such a long ride? When I had my 98 gixxer 750 I rode to Ottawa and within the first 1.5 hours my leg started cramping up cus of the race riding position. Thats why next spring im gunna buy the Honda CB1000ra instead of another ss bike. I want to ride to Florida next summer and I want to be comfortable but im not a cruiser guy. Not ready for a VFR either. I want a comfortable bike that has jam.

Yes, i would like to know as well. How often do you need to take a break if u ride a ss. I am planning on designing a cheap mechanical cruise control for my bike over the winter so on long straight roads my right arm can rest a bit :)

Its not that hard guys. Just take a break every hour and move your arms and legs while riding on the straights. I've done numerous day trips and turn out OK. I've even done an East Coast trip and a West Virginia trip this summer.

Last edited:
Wow. Long trip by yourself. Kudos on that. Do you do an oil change sometime during the trip, since you logged almost 7k clicks?

Nice bike. Nice pics. Sounds like you had a great time. I've done that route a couple of times myself on my CBR1000F and on a CBX.

Yes, i would like to know as well. How often do you need to take a break if u ride a ss. I am planning on designing a cheap mechanical cruise control for my bike over the winter so on long straight roads my right arm can rest a bit :)

I can ride all day on my bike with stops for gas (every 200 kms) and a quick bite at lunch. No issues. I find my S1000RR more comfy on the long haul then my CBR1000F. But, I suspect if you're one of those types that finds a sport bike riding position uncomfortable after 30 minutes you aren't gonna want to tour on one.

Just amazing and on a sports bike. No way I could do that.

I'm amazed that everyone that sees my bike assumes that riding it is uncomfortable. It isn't for me. Riding a cruiser is vastly more uncomfortable for me. To each their own, I guess.

Here's my bike set up for touring. Just back from a week in Eastern Ontario and the Laurentians. Autumn Road Trip 2011 006.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics!

I hope to head back there someday. I went a few years ago but it was pouring rain and the cabot trail became more scary then fun.

Wow. Long trip by yourself. Kudos on that. Do you do an oil change sometime during the trip, since you logged almost 7k clicks?

Not if u run synthetic

Nice bike. Nice pics. Sounds like you had a great time. I've done that route a couple of times myself on my CBR1000F and on a CBX.

I can ride all day on my bike with stops for gas (every 200 kms) and a quick bite at lunch. No issues. I find my S1000RR more comfy on the long haul then my CBR1000F. But, I suspect if you're one of those types that finds a sport bike riding position uncomfortable after 30 minutes you aren't gonna want to tour on one.

I'm amazed that everyone that sees my bike assumes that riding it is uncomfortable. It isn't for me. Riding a cruiser is vastly more uncomfortable for me. To each their own, I guess.

Here's my bike set up for touring. Just back from a week in Eastern Ontario and the Laurentians. View attachment 26599

It depends on the height of the person too, I guess a shorter person would be more comfortable. I am thinking of getting aftermarket rearsets because my knees hurt the most

It depends on the height of the person too, I guess a shorter person would be more comfortable. I am thinking of getting aftermarket rearsets because my knees hurt the most

I do believe ergos of varying bikes has a lot to do with it, but it isn't that tall people can't be comfy on a SS. I'm 188 cms which is far from short, I have no problems with knees even though I've had one operated on in the past. It may be something to do with fitness? I dunno, but I ride a road bicycle for 30 - 40 kms with no problems either.

Last edited:
I do believe ergos of varying bikes has a lot to do with it, but it isn't that tall people can't be comfy on a SS. I'm 188 cms which is far from short, I have no problems with knees even though I've had one operated on in the past. It may be something to do with fitness? I dunno, but I ride a road bicycle for 30 - 40 kms with no problems either.

There goes that theory out the window. Its weird, I was thinking alot about how is it some ppl can do it on a SS and some can't. I've ridder SS only and do not see myself on a cruiser. I might contemplate on getting a sport tourer or dual S. but if I had to choose one, I'll stick with SS. A SS is so much more nimble and light for getting around

Awesome pics, awesome bike. Thanks for sharing.

Seems like there's no traffic nor a single person everywhere...! The solitary-ness is pretty cool. Was it September?

Wish I could do that.

Ya traffic was pretty quiet. The main tourist season is over so thats part of the reason i hold off this trip every year till the end. It was the last week of September.

I went by myself. The CBR was great. The seat is not the best, but I dont have problems riding without getting sore. The wind beats on your more than the bike. With my rain suit overtop of my regular jacket and gear the wind flapping the shoulders of the rain jacket beats down on your shoulders..that was it for "hurt". I'm short so It's comfortable enough and my legs don't get cramped at all. I'm at the same point as you. The CBR is actually now sold..... so I'm on the hunt for the next bike and not sure at all what to get. Any suggestions are welcome!

Something more comfortable to get there would be great, but then I dont want to be bored when i get on the fun roads by something not as responsive and agile. Is there really a bike that does it all?

Fighting time, I really would go 4-5 hours between breaks. Mind you i did have to stop every 1.5-2 hours for fuel but i tried to make those stops as quick as possible. The most i did was 1300 km in one day, which seemed longer than it was as even when i ride locally i have done 1000 in a day.

Changed it at the Honda dealer along the way (I run Motul or Honda Synthetic). There are several very freindly bike shops along the way though for service. If you get the Motorcycle guide to nova scotia it lists all the bike shops so you know where they are.

Great pics!

I hope to head back there someday. I went a few years ago but it was pouring rain and the cabot trail became more scary then fun.

Well worth the trip all the way there! Its so incredible! The weather can dampen the trip though. I had to shack up and not ride for a day and a half because of the rain/fog. I tried to go out one day as i don't mind the rain so much but the higher you go up the mountains visibility was minimal due to fog and I had to turn around..was just too dangerous.

Last edited:
I'm at the same point as you. The CBR is actually now sold..... so I'm on the hunt for the next bike and not sure at all what to get. Any suggestions are welcome!

Something more comfortable to get there would be great, but then I dont want to be bored when i get on the fun roads by something not as responsive and agile. Is there really a bike that does it all?

Whats your budget?

2012 $14,000. Ninja 1000ABS http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-TOURING/1460/Ninja-1000-ABS

2011 $13,500.- Honda CB1000RA http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/cb1000ra

Wow! Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
icon14.png

I like the tail bag. Who makes it?

I am planning on designing a cheap mechanical cruise control for my bike over the winter so on long straight roads my right arm can rest a bit :icon_smile:

Save yourself the trouble. Get one of these instead, for less than twenty bucks.

go-cruise-throttle-control-closeup.jpg

go-cruise-throttle-control-grip-installed.jpg

Last edited:

It's big $$$s but every review of the 2011 Ducati Multistrada says it's pretty close to doing it all. I used to tour on my 1098 no problem. Investing in a proper motorcycle backpack or luggage similiar to yours is the key.

Nice pics and sounds like a great trip. That's the sort of thing that'd have me riding street again.

Nice trip, great shots! There are alot more great roads all over Nova Scotia.

My 2011 Ninja 1000 set up for commuting or touring. That's the OEM tail rack (made by Givi), which looks much better than any of the other after market racks. Givi also makes a removeable mount setup for hard side bags that looks pretty clean when its off. I've just had it for a little over a month, so haven't done any long distance yet. Comfortable riding position, but also big fun in the twisties. With the stock wind screen in the top position, I can cruise at 140 with the chest protected and clean air on the helmet. Can't wait to take it on a longer trip next year!

View attachment 27046

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom