3 dead, 20 vehicle collision on Hwy 401 | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 dead, 20 vehicle collision on Hwy 401

iFly55

https://twitter.com/OPP_HSD/status/650322907399356416

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/401-whitby-crash-1.3255513

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...multi-vehicle-crash-on-hwy-401-near-ajax.html

A 12-year-old boy is among the three people killed after a massive 20-vehicle crash on the westbound Highway 401 at Brock St. near Ajax Friday night that left 16 others injured.“

It’s quite a scene down there. Scrap metal everywhere,” said Sgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP’s highway safety division.

The chaos appears to have begun when a transport trailer failed to slow down as it approached a construction zone on the highway and “bulldozed” through several vehicles in front of it, according to Schmidt.

“Vehicles are ripped apart. Some are unrecognizable as vehicles,” Schmidt said.

Five people are in hospital with critical injuries while eleven more sustained less serious injuries. ORNGE air ambulance dispatched three helicopters to the scene while Toronto Paramedic Services sent three ambulances units and an ambulance bus to assist.

The man and woman were travelling in a separate vehicle from the boy, Schmidt said.All four eastbound lanes are currently closed at Salem Rd. with westbound lanes closed at Brock St. while the OPP investigate. Police are trying to clear at least one lane for traffic but that might not happen until the early afternoon, Schmidt said.

This is the second time in less than two weeks a fatal crash has happened on Hwy. 401. On Sept. 23, a crash caused by a transport trailer failing to slow down at a construction site near Harwood Ave. in Ajax left two people dead.​

Police are supposed to release more info today. It will be interesting to see why he didn't slow down. Distracted? DUI? Dozing?

It will also be interesting to see the differences in legal avenues open when there is a smaller purse. I tend to be cynical.

One less dead than Muzzo but more injured plus a huge debris field.

Police are supposed to release more info today. It will be interesting to see why he didn't slow down. Distracted? DUI? Dozing?

It will also be interesting to see the differences in legal avenues open when there is a smaller purse. I tend to be cynical.

One less dead than Muzzo but more injured plus a huge debris field.

I was thinking it could also have been a mechanical failure but I'm not sure how likely that could be.

shiit, how can I get to GP Bikes? 401 East to Whitby is the quickest way

This accident happened last Friday or Saturday, the hwy should be open today.

shiit, how can I get to GP Bikes? 401 East to Whitby is the quickest way

Dammit....people died and you can't get to GP Bikes....sons of a $@#%$...

-------------

Another tragedy on our roads and I'm very curious to see what caused this. It could turn out to be simple fatigue where the driver was just trying to make a deadline. I doubt it's a mechanical failure but nothing to base that on. If it was mechanical he would hopefully try to pull off the road once he realized that the rig isn't going to stop.

I've read people stating that they should ban transport trucks from the 401 b/w this and that hour, this and this place...will never happen. Too much of our economy is on JIT delivery and I don't think we're willing to make that sacrifice.

That section is too much for most GTA drivers. There's bends and twisties (sarcasm), construction, up and down hills. Add all the looky-lous stopping to to try to carry out an inspection of the work in progress and it's disaster waiting to strike. There's a few fender-benders every morning and there's been several serious looing collisions during rush hour in the evening this summer, one week it was 3 consecutive nights. Even the classic with a riced out GTi sandwiched between 2 transports.

The solution, as usual would be enforcing that people are actually capable of driving (cars and trucks) and common courtesy, but that is just WAY too much to ask so it will continue.

The solution, as usual would be enforcing that people are actually capable of driving (cars and trucks) and common courtesy, but that is
just WAY too much to ask so it will continue.

But speed traps are easier...

A most horrendous crash. There's practically no escape when you're surrounded by transport trucks.

RIP to those that perished. GWS to the others.

Last edited:
I was stuck in traffic at that same spot the night before just around midnight, I am telling you that the HWY goes from really wide to a less wide section right where the construction starts, it also bends so coming in you can not see a km of red lights which normally indicate that a traffic jam is coming, I can definitely see how the truck driver could have missed it. Not saying it was right, since all other trucks didn't miss it, but there are no signs because the traffic is backed kms before the construction signs. Tragic

Back
Top Bottom