2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop

I sell engineered lumber, it works vertically, it does very poorly with a side load (dont do it!) .
The op's design spec is well suited to steel or a tortion box. Either way you need an isolation barrier, plywood or foam sill gasket to protect the quartz from seasonal movement and vibration in the steel. No sense cracking the finished product.

I sell engineered lumber, it works vertically, it does very poorly with a side load (dont do it!) .
The op's design spec is well suited to steel or a tortion box. Either way you need an isolation barrier, plywood or foam sill gasket to protect the quartz from seasonal movement and vibration in the steel. No sense cracking the finished product.
It would eliminate the need for a post that he thought he might need in the middle for the 2X12. I don't know where you got the idea that I was referring to using wood on its side.

Thought I’d update you bros...

Luckily my welding contact guy is back to work and he gave me a price of $700 included all material, spray painting 3 coats, plus brackets with drilled holes to hold the plywood (to drill from underneath).
Three tables, a 9 footer and two 5 footers.

fyi,at his shop we were able to take various steel tubes and spread them at 9 feet with support on both ends to get a rough idea of load bending strength.

These were 1/8” wall thickness:
1.5x1.5 - was flopping like a *****, wtf. I just gently pressed with one hand at centre and it went down. Two hands it was flopping up and down.
1x2 vertical - again easily bends - was very surprised
2x3 vertical was solid but I can’t go that height

2x2 (just under 1/8” walls) was the winner. I weigh 200lbs and am considerably strong and applied as mich pressure as I could with both hands and would not budge. Then I applied a push-sudden pressure with everything i got and still nothing. Two these horizontal would do the trick for sure.

mind you these r just rough-idea tests for my personal application so I would take it with a grain of salt and advise against using it for your own purposes. Also keep in mind that had these been fixed and held solid in place on oppsite ends the stength would be much stronger for all of them as opposed to just resting them on the ends

Correct way is to calculate the acceptable beam deflection under the maximum load condition.
At least that is how we did it in structural design classes in high school. :| using my trusty circular slide rule for math calculations.
Still think floor load right out of the building code without catastrophic failure would be a good place to start for cya purposes.

oh and good luck with the project(y)

& What colour quartz did you go with we have white marble finish on white, it looks great, but i'm not allowed to mark it with anything :LOL:

It would eliminate the need for a post that he thought he might need in the middle for the 2X12. I don't know where you got the idea that I was referring to using wood on its side.
I think the OP said he was gonna use wood on the side.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom