2024 Kawasaki Ninja 7 hybrid | GTAMotorcycle.com

2024 Kawasaki Ninja 7 hybrid

This i could get behind, esp when it comes to hot commutes.

They need to figure out the weight. 500lbs is pretty chunky considering the ninja 400 is 370lbs.

They need to figure out how to add an electric motor and a battery and somehow make it the same weight as a bike that doesn't have those things? Do you think the Sonata hybrid should weight the same as the Sonata? Or the BMW i3 without an onboard generator motor should weigh the same as one without that?

They need to figure out the weight. 500lbs is pretty chunky considering the ninja 400 is 370lbs.
500cc instead of 400cc is some weight, battery is almost 70 lbs. Electric motor will be a few pounds. Gearbox that changes on its own is probably heavier than one you shift. Big copper cables (need to support ~150 amps). Etc, etc. While I appreciate lighter bikes, I wouldn't expect less than 100 lb penalty for a bike that can move under electric only power. If you want a really mild hybrid with a tiny battery and motor just to give you a little kick, that can be lighter but obviously is a different use case.

They need to figure out how to add an electric motor and a battery and somehow make it the same weight as a bike that doesn't have those things? Do you think the Sonata hybrid should weight the same as the Sonata? Or the BMW i3 without an onboard generator motor should weigh the same as one without that?
Don't be obtuse.
Weight is an issue with motorcycles and scooters as it directly affects how easily a bike handles, especially at low speeds. Like the traffic and inner city where this would be useful. An underpowered heavy bike is not a fun experience.
While the article lacks any perspective, this is an interesting technology and it is great that it is being explored.

They missed the boat a bit by not making it a plug in

Sent from the future
I don't think so. I suspect electric only range will be pretty short and not enough to actually get anywhere. Current guesses I saw are around 1.5 Kwh. That is sub 15 mile electic range. The plug is big which presents a packaging problem. It really sounds like it is designed to operate as a hybrid not a pure EV and electric only. Electric only is for marketing, to get out of the neighbourhood quietly and stuck in traffic imo.

Don't be obtuse.
Weight is an issue with motorcycles and scooters as it directly affects how easily a bike handles, especially at low speeds. Like the traffic and inner city where this would be useful. An underpowered heavy bike is not a fun experience.
While the article lacks any perspective, this is an interesting technology and it is great that it is being explored.
If designed for traffic and inner city use, they could easily have a 250 single as the ICE part. That would cut a lot of weight. It would also cut a lot of fun when you had some room. You don't design a normal city bike with 70 hp.

LOL, why do I have to learn on a motorcycle forum that the i3 had an onboard generator??? Still doesn't make up for its looks...

LOL, why do I have to learn on a motorcycle forum that the i3 had an onboard generator??? Still doesn't make up for its looks...
Not that many had it. It was an expensive optional extra. IIRC, a 650cc scooter motor. I've only seen one i3 that had it.

I personally do not care at all about 500lbs.

I guess I don't like how the sport mode is described (disables auto shift and you have to manually engage the electric "boost").
Apropos considering that the "REx" was donated from the BMW C 650, which itself is a motor built by Kymco

The only question in my mind is how many $$$ ?

There's no way this isn't more expensive than the e-1, which is probably why they're not bringing it here

electricity production is largely ignored.
we need incredible public transport that doesn't use batteries. trains and buses can be electric without battery's. think toronto street cars. no battery req'd.

oh great clean electricity. is it really? the pollution, radioactive waste, and environmental damages (dams etc) are ignored by both industry and government. How dare they call battery powered vehicles zero emission? did the clean fairy make the electricity to charge your batteries? No. The pollution is only being shifted from transportation to outlying areas where the electricity is produced. zero emission my azss.

how can they omit the environmental damage caused by mining minerals for the batteries? the amount of energy that goes into mining is huge. machinery burns massive amounts of diesel, gas and electricity. never mind the ore mills pollution...zero emission my azss.
the environmental damage is huge - and the cost to clean up mining sites afterwards is never considered. and often ignored. that suits industry and its owned governments very well; as politicians brag about clean this, zero this and all that really matters is their public image. we're so special...

and the following is how industry and government want it to sound _

The federal government and the City of Toronto are jointly funding the purchase of 340 zero emission transit buses for the city.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says Ottawa will spend $349 million to help electrify the city's fleet of transit buses.

In addition to purchasing the buses, Freeland says the funding will also help buy 248 chargers and support upgrades to related infrastructure in bus garages.

The City of Toronto is contributing $351 million to the project.

The funding comes as the Toronto Transit Commission works toward electrifying its operations by 2040.

The federal contribution comes through the Zero Emission Transit Fund announced in 2021, which Ottawa has said will provide $2.75 billion over five years to help public transit and school bus operators electrify their fleets.

money money money money money money money money money

Back
Top Bottom