2022 Trip plans? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Trip plans?

I'm hoping to visit Point Pleasant WV and finally see the GD Mothman statue

000635190015-1.jpg
That looks cool, US has lots of these kitchy monuments. Curious what is your interest in this? Did you play Fallout, only reason I know something about this.

South coastal parts = that's for sure for this adopted Canadian :)
One of my teachers invited me to Mallorca, Málaga y Valencia are the other options. No point planning too much right now, probably will decide last minute = more fun ..
Can never go wrong in Spain, been to both Málaga and Valencia. Granada is also very nice if you get the chance while in the area.

I'm hoping to attend the annual Hawk GT rally this August near Corning, NY. I'd also like to take Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway down to Deal's Gap, but haven't figured out when. Waiting to hear from a bunch of SXV owners who met at the Dragon last April, but I'm hoping they can do it later this year so the ride down won't be as cold. Alternatively I can tow it to Skyline and find a place to park my car until I get back. Anyone have any experience with this?

Anybody taken the highway north from Winnipeg through Flin-Flon? I was gonna do a big loop approximately like this, do you think it's worth it?

map.jpg

That looks cool, US has lots of these kitchy monuments. Curious what is your interest in this? Did you play Fallout, only reason I know something about this.

I wasted many a night in my youth staying up late listening to Art Bell

WV is full of great roads. Can't go wrong there.

I'm hoping to attend the annual Hawk GT rally this August near Corning, NY. I'd also like to take Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway down to Deal's Gap, but haven't figured out when. Waiting to hear from a bunch of SXV owners who met at the Dragon last April, but I'm hoping they can do it later this year so the ride down won't be as cold. Alternatively I can tow it to Skyline and find a place to park my car until I get back. Anyone have any experience with this?
The Skyline and the Blueridge together are about 400 miles IIRC. And mostly all at a posted speed of about 45MPH. It can be hard to pass for long sections. I have ridden a huge chunk of it. I think the lower half is the better half.
To ride it end to end may be more than you want.

The Skyline and the Blueridge together are about 400 miles IIRC. And mostly all at a posted speed of about 45MPH. It can be hard to pass for long sections. I have ridden a huge chunk of it. I think the lower half is the better half.
To ride it end to end may be more than you want.
Yes, I've heard that, but I do want to see it at least once so I can cross it off my list. Luckily, my SXV thrives at that speed.

It's a mix of 35mph and 45mph.
If caught at triple the limit, (105mph in a 35) the fine is $775.
Cut and paste from the intertoobs:

"Speeding by itself can warrant a reckless driving charge in Virginia. Reckless driving is a criminal offense that can result in jail time."

"Some speeding can lead to not only an automatic suspension of your license, but also a criminal conviction. In fact, under certain circumstances, speeding in NC can rise to the level of a felony charge."

Interesting, I've never been up that way. Are you just gonna to to Kegaska then turn around and come back the same way, or is there a ferry you can take somewhere from there?

They're supposed to extend hwy 138 all the way to Labrador so the Trans-Lab can be a loop although that's probably 5-10 yrs away.
It's a trip I've wanted to do for about 10 years actually, but I was always busy in the summers and couldn't get time off work. Now I can get the time off and this summer looks like I will be ok with family stuff too, so it's just covid that will determine if I can go.

I didn't know that they were planning on completing the road all the way over - that would be an awesome loop.

For this trip I was originally thinking about doing some loops in the Saguenay region, then going all the way out to Kegaska & Manic Cinq and then coming back to Quebec City before deciding whether to head over to Gaspe or making my way home. I've read that the speed limits can be slow and there are many small towns, so the daily mileage is not very much, but it can take a longer time to do it and enjoy it. Something like this:
Day 1 - Mississauga to La Maurie National Park - 866km/12hrs
Day 2 - La Mauricie National Park to Chicoutimi - 525km/10hrs
Day 3 - Chicoutimi Loop 1 - 560km/10hrs
Day 4 - Chicoutimi Loop 2 - 500km/8hrs
Day 5 - Chicoutimi to Sept Isles - 800km/11hrs
Day 6 - Sept Isles to Kegaska - 420km/7hrs
Day 7 - Kegaska to Baie Comeau - 650km/11hrs
Day 8 - Baie Comeau to Manic Cinq return - 432km/7hrs
Day 9 - Baie Comeau to Quebec City via 381 - 550km/8.5hrs
Then head over to Gaspe and ride around there for a few days if time allows for it.

"Speeding by itself can warrant a reckless driving charge in Virginia. Reckless driving is a criminal offense that can result in jail time."

"Some speeding can lead to not only an automatic suspension of your license, but also a criminal conviction. In fact, under certain circumstances, speeding in NC can rise to the level of a felony charge."
When I got pulled over in Marion, NC about 7 years ago, I had just come down from doing the NC226a/The Diamondback and was feeling great and was super looking forward to heading up the NC80/The Devils Whip, but got pulled over by an officer who I think also pulled over @Gary in the past. That officer said I was going 20mph over which could force me to attend court right away. He lowered it to 15 over and a really nice guy who just prey's on the easy Canuck money.

When I got pulled over in Marion, NC about 7 years ago, I had just come down from doing the NC226a/The Diamondback and was feeling great and was super looking forward to heading up the NC80/The Devils Whip, but got pulled over by an officer who I think also pulled over @Gary in the past. That officer said I was going 20mph over which could force me to attend court right away. He lowered it to 15 over and a really nice guy who just prey's on the easy Canuck money.

Yeah... 'Trouble with getting pinched for speeding in the USA is that unless you do your research prior to your trip and familiarize yourself with the law in each jurisdiction your going through, you don't readily know if you're looking at a few min. by the side of the road and a ticket or a ride to the grey bar motel.
'Got stopped in Ohio once... My options were
1. Pay the fine then and there... cash, Visa or Master card.
2. Go to Jail until Monday morning when I could be brought in front of a JP.

'Only time I've ever deliberately tried to "tin" my way out of a ticket... thankfully it worked.

The officer we shared lit me up on 129. Just a warning. I have it stapled on my garage wall.

As GUNS were pointed at the group of 5 riders (the other 5 ran), we were made WELL aware of what coulda/shoulda been. We were told exactly what you posted.
They only wrote 1 ticket, (to the bike parked closest to them), and suggested we split it. We did.
Our Cdn politeness worked that day.

Not to sound like an old codger, but...
We all have control over this...

Dont speed...Lol

Dont speed...Lol
You are right! I'm usually pretty aware when passing through small towns, but this time I wasn't paying attention when the limit dropped from a 55 down to a 40 I think and I was doing 60.

We all f up once in a while...
I blew a red light the other day on a stretch of road i drive daily...
'Was looking at something off to the side and just totally, obliviously drove through a 4way intersection...
Thankfully there was no other traffic... but man, made me question whether or not I should just turn in my license b4 my dementia gets worse

Dont speed...Lol
easy to say. harder to do.
After being warned that New York troopers are hard on speeders I ignored the warning and got a ticket. Like Shane I was coming in hot to a small town and missed (ignored?) the limit drop.

Back
Top Bottom