2022 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

I'd love to know what Ducati is thinking with a rider on a year-old bike and a 3rd tier team winning 2 races and leading the championship.

Early days, but still.... that's the performance we expected from the factory (specifically: Bagnaia)

If/when they dial the 2022 bike in, they’ll be all smiles and high fives as those satellite Ducatis could be the buffer between the factory bikes and the other brands. They really do want all the Ducati teams to be competitive. This also helps with attracting top young riders and moving them up through the teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzuki could be in for a good year, especially if this year is like 2020, where nobody can find any consistency, a different Ducati is fastest every week, and Marquez can't stay healthy. The most interesting development seems to be that Rins has grown up a bit, and is finally letting his silky style work with the smooth Suzuki and isn't forcing anything. So far, he's had the measure of Mir in three of four rounds, though they've been very close everywhere.

As for Bestia, it's not unusual over the past few years for the satellite teams to do well to start the year, as @Lightcycle points out, as the bike is fully developed and has solid base settings. The development time is so limited now, so the old days of Honda and Yamaha spending millions and testing the other teams into oblivion are over. This year had one more pre-Europe round than normal, so that's been accentuated. The real test will be the first few rounds in Europe, especially after the Jerez test, as whoever is fast there will likely be strong all year.

Also, Bastianini is a true talent, who has an incredible ability to manage tires. His best lap in Austin was on the last or second last lap, while the other Ducs were fading fast. David Emmett said this week that he's very small, so apparently can't muscle the bike around like some other riders and has had to learn incredible throttle control to keep the front down as a consequence. He or Martin are basically fighting for Miller's seat next year, and while Martin has incredible quali pace, Bastianini seems to have the edge on Sundays so far.

Wow, the drying track made for some real drama in both qualifying sessions today.

The decisions made by some of the teams and riders show why they are getting paid the big bucks and why I'm the one sitting at home, remote in hand, watching and thinking, "OMG slicks... what are they thinking?"

As always, timing was everything. Very disheartened for the Duc riders who went out on slicks just a few minutes too early and paid the price. Right idea, just bad timing.

The decisions made by some of the teams and riders show why they are getting paid the big bucks and why I'm the one sitting at home, remote in hand, watching and thinking, "OMG slicks... what are they thinking?"
Even on the rain compounds they're taking massive risks going over the jump like they were, the slo-mo shots were very revealing how they had to do a sideways half lean and shift thier weight to back in order to avoid high-siding like Nakagami did in Friday FP. The track is still super green, Alex falling on an out lap was very telling how bad it is off the racing line.

Honestly, I don't get how many people think they can convince themselves they could even keep up with back-markers like Loris Baz or Alvaro Bautista who are on another level in what they do. And the top riders are called aliens for a reason!

With that said, today's qualy was perhaps the best so far this season for me, the grid was likely to be super bunched and close all weekend because of the rain, but as the track dried it was clear that it wasn't just a green track but just an accurate indication of where things stand on the grid.

Marc and Fabio should have been on the 2nd row, but Pol caused that yellow flag.

Still, it will be good to see a motivated Marc start from P9 and carve up the field, my guess is he will be on the podium if the bike doesn't fail him or a crash on the opening lap; either it will be a good race and I'll try to watch live for the first time this season.

Predictions: Mir for the win, random Ducati and Marc on the podium.

Good race today. Until Miller eff'd things up.

Good race today. Until Miller eff'd things up.

He got greedy. Shoulda backed off.

Good thing him and Mir are friends. I've seen fisticuffs break out in the gravel for much less than that...

Snorefest at the front, but some good battles further back in the field. I'm getting deja vu watching Quatararo on the Yamaha, like Stoner on the Desmosedici back in 2007. It's a One Rider bike...

Snorefest at the front, but some good battles further back in the field. I'm getting deja vu watching Quatararo on the Yamaha, like Stoner on the Desmosedici back in 2007. It's a One Rider bike...
It felt more like a JLO style domination race after he passed Mir, Fabio even called it 'hammer time' like Jorge called it when he was pushing.

He got greedy. Shoulda backed off.

Good thing him and Mir are friends. I've seen fisticuffs break out in the gravel for much less than that...
It was never going to work, and Mir tried to pull back but it was too late as he low sided and Miller took them both.

Also, I think it was a sarcastic remark that they are friends; Miller was always over-reacting to Mir's moves, which were all racing incidents, whereas Mir took this with a slow golf-clap but then went to go check in on him when he looked hurt and looked after by the medical team, and then hugged it out with him. Honestly, Mir is way more mature than Miller is.

Honestly, Miller is just too much of a hot-head and way too inconsistent to be on a works bike and I think he just proved why Martin or Enea will take his seat for next season,

I think Miller was watching the laps tick away and got desperate to get past Mir for fear of Zarco disappearing up the road. Once he committed, there was no pulling out and he got pushed inside onto some green asphalt. Racing incident, though I think Mir would've eventually been passed by both Miller and Espargaro, so it probably didn't cost him a podium. Mir had burnt his tires with an early escape attempt and then struggling to keep up at the front. Mir seemed genuinely fine with the whole thing in his post-race interview, saying he'd made similar mistakes in his career.

On the other side of the Suzuki box, Rins rode the second best race of the day, and took what was looking like a catastrophe in Q1 and absolutely turned it around. Picking up something like 12 spots on the first lap was remarkable, even if he did get some luck. Salvaging fourth is the kind of ride that keeps you in the title fight, and Pecco should be taking notes.

Best had to be Quartararo, who not only blitzed the field, but also blitzed Mir's Suzuki to show Yamaha isn't done yet, and can still be the fastest i4 'corner speed' bike on the grid. He looked his imperious best, and rode an absolutely flawless race, from (great) start to finish. Not sure what's up with Frankie, who hasn't been the same since his surgery last year. He's had a fast session here and there, but hasn't put together a weekend. Only Fabio is fast on that Yamaha, but he's even getting beat by Dovi...

It's funny how small success can raise expectations for bigger success. Espargaro and Aprilia starting on the front row and finishing third (could've possibly been second with a better start or a less ambitious Alex Marquez) is no longer a novelty. That Aprilia is the real deal, and even dealt with the Ducatis on the straight. I think true championship hopes are a bit of a stretch, but I could see them winning a couple more times this year, and Aleix making the top five overall. I'd love to see Maverick pick up some pace and push further into the top 10.

Hondas nowhere yet again, with Marc reduced to a battle with his brother for a distant 6th. Still lots of work to do there. KTM and Ducati can join them in their misery, though. KTM with another 'spiky' result and a 0 from Binder, and Ducati with yet another random rider on the podium with the rest well back. Bagnaia may already be done for the title. They can only keep saying, "Next weekend will be better," for so long before they run out of weekends. It's hard to think of a more catastrophic start to a season for a rider who hasn't missed a start through injury.

Meanwhile…at Aprilia

40ce4b4a1ea50ed74d2ccecece13baef.jpg

Class performance by Bagnaia/Ducati today. It was a big boost to Bagnaia's confidence and title chances - also brings a new level of respect to the GP22.

Quartararo continues to impress me - he is a title contender in spite of his bike - he was right there with Bagnaia at the end. This dichotomy at Yamaha reminds me of the Stoner/Ducati days. Stoner up front while his teammates languish at the back of the grid.

Aprilia loses its concessions. I admit the Aprilia/AEspargaro pairing is a grid frontrunner. Espargaro is a very late bloomer.

Now Silly season is about to kick off...

Some more great racing today, especially in moto3.

On a side note, here’s a few shots of the motorcycle parking. I wish they could have panned out and showed the sheer magnitude of all the bikes.

6a26f05589ce704b92ec6c90c10d44a5.jpg

27f6a02d6d19bc1b51f8d3742382b9b8.jpg

Some more great racing today, especially in moto3.

On a side note, here’s a few shots of the motorcycle parking. I wish they could have panned out and showed the sheer magnitude of all the bikes.

I drove to the opening round of BSB at Brands Hatch a few years ago, it was a chilly April but I think there was more bikes than cars in the parking lot. The bikes parking lot was located closer to the track. Cars were treated second class in another field lol.

The Jerez photo is impressive good to see.

Bagnaia and Quartararo look like they've finally found their baseline settings, and have resumed normal programming from last year. Pecco looked more relieved than happy with the win, while Fabio looked a bit worried that he lost his ownership of Jerez (at least while healthy). If Ducati have all their bad luck (some self inflicted) out of the way, Quartararo could be in for a tough go over the European stretch of the calendar. The biggest smile on the podium was Aleix's, as a solid finish at Jerez has to make him a true contender for the season. If they can fix their clutch issues so they don't go backwards at the start, things will get a lot easier, though.

Impressive save from Marc, as everyone has noted, but it also showed how on the limit he was to get past the Ducati and stay ahead of the Aprilia. He's past fitness being an issue, so now it's just about developing that bike. He needed his usual qualifying shenanigans to get that far up the grid (wonder how Miller feels about the various tows now), did his usual argy bargy at the start, then was weaving like a loony on the straights to keep Aleix from passing. Some will bang on about how champions do whatever it takes to win, but he's showing himself to be desperate and a bit dirty, all to finish fourth. Aleix is right when he says race control refuses to address his behaviour, and as usual, it's going to take until someone gets hurt to see any action. At a minimum, the wheel sucking on Friday and Saturday has to be stopped, as it's gotten completely out of hand. If you need to work a tow, do what Aprilia did in Q2 and use teammates to swap hot laps and get it done. Of course, Marc has been unfriendly to Pol, so has few allies, and Alex is mostly too slow to be of much help...

Sounds like Quartararo is staying at Yamaha after lots of bluster to the contrary from both sides (David Emmett suggested Lin Jarvis had lied to him about the state of negotiations), and it's an obvious conclusion. After all, they both need each other. Quartararo has nowhere obvious to go, as he'll have even less financial support at Suzuki or especially Aprilia, an unfinished bike at KTM, the whole Marquez saga at Honda, and no room at Ducati. It's hard to know if the Yamaha is as bad as it appears without him, as the RNF riders are both clearly sub-par, and Frankie hasn't been the same since his surgery. Jarvis singled Morbido out after the race as being particularly disappointing, too.

But there's also rumblings that RNF have had enough of being jerked around by Yamaha and may be looking to Aprilia next year. Aprilia have now officially lost concessions, so having a satellite team would be very useful for a factory that likes to push development. If they do bring RNF on board, it'll be a real statement of intent...

I wish they could have panned out and showed the sheer magnitude of all the bikes.

Here's a pic of the whole track, with the motorcycle lot in the foreground. Looks like minimal car parking anywhere nearby...

Jerez 2022 Motorcycle Parking.jpeg

Rumours seem to be centering on two items as a consequence: Mir to Repsol Honda in place of Pol, and a second Aprilia team in the vacant Suzuki slot, possibly with Rins plus a rookie. Or RNF moves to Aprilia and Yamaha starts a new team in that spot.

We could see changes at LCR, too, with both of their riders struggling to make an impact. Ogura could take the elderly (30 now!) Nakagami's designated "Japanese Honda Rider" seat, while the rumours of Miller to LCR seem awfully persistent...

There's always the possibility that BMW, having failed to achieve much in WSBK, decide to go head-to-head with KTM in GPs. I'd be very surprised if that happens, though, as the Bavarians don't seem to care much about prototype racing, and won't be too keen on the few years of sucking it would take to build a competitive bike.

EDIT: I have to wonder if this may be the first step in the long-rumoured move for Suzuki to completely shut down the big bike side of their business. Otherwise the timing of this, with so many contracts left with years to run and Covid seemingly behind us in a pandemic sense (knock on wood), is awfully weird. They just hired Livio Suppo and signed a deal with Dorna to 2026. Their bikes are still competitive, both riders were set to stay, and shutting down now means it'll be tough to keep everyone focused on the title.

Back
Top Bottom