2022 insurance | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 insurance

Went to roll my 2008 tiger over for a 2022 Ducati super sport , current provider no bueno . I told them it’s actually more sport tour than super sport . Don’t care . NFP was able to help at an “ok” rate . Tried rider plus , it’s black listed with them .
Not getting easier , but happy to be full coverage on a new bike at 1,195 per yr .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
That's strange... I'm with Riders Plus (Echelon) for my 2022 Supersport 950S.

Well I'm back this year after sitting out last year. I didn't renew my insurance in 2021 because of an increase that I was not prepared to pay at the time. With no travel plans last summer due to the pandemic, I just couldn't justify the cost. I tried to sell the ST and had a few come look, but fortunately no takers. So this year, before posting it for sale again I thought what the heck I'll give the insurance people one more opportunity to take my money.

Surprisingly, the company with my house and car insurance were able to give me a rate of $704 for this year, (no collision or fire and theft). The last quotes I had for similar coverage back in February 2021 were around $900. Now I'm not sure if they have a multi-policy discount because each policy is separate, with different policy numbers. At least I saved $900 by not riding last year and I wasn't penalized because of my one year lapse in insurance coverage.

Well look who stole my idea congratulations

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I originally went in to look at the H2SX they have but was very underwhelmed by the test ride. They had an Adventure R model available as a demo so I took that out too and was very pleasantly surprised…..

Interestingly, I was already with Riders Plus and I wanted to add the TL1000S with them, being nearly 100% certain it wouldn't be surcharged. It was, and they couldn't quote me on Echelon, but they still quoted me on like 3 other insurance companies, and I ended up going with one of them. Moved my car over for a nice discount on the bike

Interestingly, I was already with Riders Plus and I wanted to add the TL1000S with them, being nearly 100% certain it wouldn't be surcharged. It was, and they couldn't quote me on Echelon, but they still quoted me on like 3 other insurance companies, and I ended up going with one of them. Moved my car over for a nice discount on the bike

If you ever decide to sell the TL down the road - hit me up first? :)

If you ever decide to sell the TL down the road - hit me up first? :)
We'll see if it doesn't tankslap me into an early grave. I can make a note to give you right of first refusal on the wreck

I originally went in to look at the H2SX they have but was very underwhelmed by the test ride. They had an Adventure R model available as a demo so I took that out too and was very pleasantly surprised…..
Figured the H2SX would be very nice, I've been eyeing it personally. In what way did you find it underwhelming?

Figured the H2SX would be very nice, I've been eyeing it personally. In what way did you find it underwhelming?

For starters, it wasn’t the style I was looking for. It’s a sport touring, heavy on the ‘sport’. I ended up getting a KTM 1290 Adventure S.
That being said, even for a sport touring bike (which I’ve had a few), it was….”meh”. I would much prefer my old Yamaha FJR1300 over the H2SX.
It felt very heavy both at low speeds and highway speeds, it had zero character and it was kind of boring. The only thing that was neat was the chirp from the supercharger, but I was over that by the time the test ride was done.

Just got my renewal notice in the mail today, for my '21 F750GS...

Just the pink slips straight from Intact - no rate information at all; just a note to contact my broker. This doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy deep down inside. Got an email in to them right now; looking to see what the rate's going to be - also sent a note to NFP for a quote. I'm a loyal guy, I like my broker, but dollars and cents are what it comes down to at this point.

Just got my renewal notice in the mail today, for my '21 F750GS...

Just the pink slips straight from Intact - no rate information at all; just a note to contact my broker. This doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy deep down inside. Got an email in to them right now; looking to see what the rate's going to be - also sent a note to NFP for a quote. I'm a loyal guy, I like my broker, but dollars and cents are what it comes down to at this point.
There is no loyalty bonus in insurance, if anything, it is the opposite.

If you have the time, check every year.

We'll see if it doesn't tankslap me into an early grave. I can make a note to give you right of first refusal on the wreck

Sounds like getting your chain tensioned in the right order is key! Here's the text from a recent Practical Sportbikes writeup of the TL, as they ranked it the #7 best bike of the '90s:

"Bike the of 90s
#7 Suzuki TL1000S
Hang on, a bike that tankslapped its way into infamy is in the Top Ten of 1990s bikes? Of course; for two reasons. But first, let's put that instability thing to bed one more time; yes, the TLS could get funky under power in the lower gears - but only if you were unlucky to have a rear damper that was particularly over-damped (variable build quality in the fiddly damper meant some were worse than others) and only if you (or someone else) inadvertently over tightened the drive chain, limiting rear wheel movement. Unfortunately, this was easy to do - the fork of the TL's swingarm was under tension; if you got the right chain tension with the axle bolt only finger tight, when you nipped it up it squeezed the arms together and pulled the chain tight. Under these conditions, if you nailed the bike in first or second and the front wheel went light, it could burst into a tankslapper. Which is why some TLS owners never had a problem and wondered what the fuss was about, and some owners... didn't. And some, it being a non-binary world, were in between these extremes.

But when the Suzuki was good, it was very, very good. What an engine. The 996cc 90° V-twin was a radical thing when it was launched in 1997; the original test bike made 121bhp and no road-going V-twin had got close at that point. Big, lumpy, snappily fuel-injected and, with open cans, an absolutely thunderous creation (and a long way from the tamed, neutered motor it became at the end of the model run in 2002). Thirsty too - it could drink the 17-litre tank dry in under 100 miles. So why is the TL1000S significant? Because from that initial dodgy start, the engine has gone on to become one of the most ubiquitous and long-running, certainly in Japanese motorcycle history. From the TL1000S the engine propagated into the following year's TL1000R - a sportsbike version with full fairing instead of half, a beam frame instead of alloy tubes (still a cool piece of factory frame-building), and more weight. Then it jumped into Bimota's SB8R, then Suzuki recycled it in the SV1000S and N, and also in the V-Strom 1000 adventure bike. A weird tie-up with Kawasaki saw Kawasaki release the same bike only painted orange, the KLV1000, and then Suzuki bored the V-twin out to 1037cc and re-released it in the latest series of V-Stroms, the latest of which was launched this year. Which means the TL1000S is still with us, in spirit - and, given a four-year design time, that makes. the V-twin some 28 years old, and gives Suzuki Motor Corporation a pretty decent. return on what looked, in the late '90s, like a total waste of R&D money.

SPECIFICATION
Engine: Liquid cooled, 996cc, four-stroke 90° V-twin, fuel injection, 125bhp@8500rpm (claimed), 76lb.ft@ 8000rpm (claimed), top speed 159mph Dimensions: Wheelbase 1415mm, dry weight 191kg (claimed), seat height 835mm, fuel capacity 17 litres

Chassis: Aluminium tube trellis frame, 43mm usd forks, monoshock, 2 x 320mm front discs, 220mm rear disc"

If you go on the RC51 forums, there's lots of old posts with folks complaining that they can't outdrag their buddy's TL, wondering what's wrong with their RC. After all, it won the AMA championship and World Superbikes, how could it possibly be slower?

There is no loyalty bonus in insurance, if anything, it is the opposite.

If you have the time, check every year.

My Broker got back to me, and I was pleasantly surprised... Rates dropped by 30% or so!

Still going to shop around, but at least I know where I stand now.

The chain thing could very well be true. But it would be far from the only bike I've had where tightening the rear axle drastically changes the chain tension. And I haven't found a PDF for a 1997 TL1000SV owner's manual specifically yet, but I'd bet a donut that it warns you about that. The service manual certainly does
A weird tie-up with Kawasaki saw Kawasaki release the same bike only painted orange, the KLV1000, and then Suzuki bored the V-twin out to 1037cc and re-released it in the latest series of V-Stroms, the latest of which was launched this year.
I had no idea about this - that's weird!

The chain thing could very well be true. But it would be far from the only bike I've had where tightening the rear axle drastically changes the chain tension. And I haven't found a PDF for a 1997 TL1000SV owner's manual specifically yet, but I'd bet a donut that it warns you about that. The service manual certainly does

I had no idea about this - that's weird!

Practical Sportbikes is BY FAR the nerdiest sportbike magazine I've ever read (the clue is in the title, I suppose). Makes MCN look like Easy Rider. They have monthly features on reader's garages, how they arrange their tools, what their favourite tools are, you name it. It's all about home mechanics, garden shed fabricators, and '80s to '00s sportbikes. (In other words, I am the definition of their target demographic.) If they say it's true, I guarantee it's from some Suzuki mechanic somewhere who says the same thing.

It does make sense. The TL already had sharp geometry combined with a torquey motor that could lift the front anywhere, and the early bikes had no steering damper. Too tight chain means the swingarm extends too much under acceleration, and if the damper is too stiff, it doesn't let the swingarm come back quickly enough after a wheelie, which means the front wheel touches down with the rear jacked up in the air, sharpening the steering angle, and presto! Massive eff off tankslapper.

(As for the KLV1000, I think it was for Europe only. Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, I supposed...)

Back
Top Bottom