2022 Gas Prices - Will $2(+) per Litre slow you down? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Gas Prices - Will $2(+) per Litre slow you down?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Just curious on what this summers (potential) gas prices may change plans for riders and travellers.

A decent few hundred kilometer day trip on 2 wheels at $2/L could easily be a $60-$100 day now.

Long high speed road trip? Several hundred in gas alone easily. My trip that I did to the Cabot last fall for example would probably be an $800 thing now for just gas, again, before anything else - motels, meals, etc.

We have a trip planned to Gaspe again this summer with our camper (with friends), and the prospect of $2.25/L regular (east coast always more $) is giving us pause, although we'll probably still go....YOLO, after all. But I'll be budgeting probably $2500 for just the gas alone for an 8 day trip. Ouch indeed.

But I know there's a lot of people reconsidering summer road trips and such already.

Just curious on what this summers (potential) gas prices may change plans for riders and travellers.

A decent few hundred kilometer day trip on 2 wheels at $2/L could easily be a $60-$100 day now.

Long high speed road trip? Several hundred in gas alone easily. My trip that I did to the Cabot last fall for example would probably be an $800 thing now for just gas, again, before anything else - motels, meals, etc.

We have a trip planned to Gaspe again this summer with our camper (with friends), and the prospect of $2.25/L regular (east coast always more $) is giving us pause, although we'll probably still go....YOLO, after all. But I'll be budgeting probably $2500 for just the gas alone for an 8 day trip. Ouch indeed.

But I know there's a lot of people reconsidering summer road trips and such already.
My wife wants to fly places. Even if airlines have contracts in place to hedge against fuel price skyrocketing, I am reasonably confident that they will pass a fuel surcharge along and it won't be pretty.

As for personal vehicles, some people will be regretting their choice of huge motor in a marginal vehicle. Ours aren't terrible on fuel so it hurts but doesn't change much.

Last edited:
I got fed up a few years back with the ST1100 her in Australia guzzling gas at $1.75 a liter making a day trip into a $45 cost.
I had the same reaction with the CBF1000 with a short range ( 300 km ) and high use so was pleased with the CB500x miserly use yet long range.

Now in Aus I've about reached the limit of fuel mileage for a bike that can do highway speeds here with 11L doing 340 km. Cost is up and going higher but I can still go out for 350 km loop and not feel too battered.

Where is that CBev Honda yattered about.?

Where is that CBev Honda yattered about.?
Nowhere. 340km highway rides on an ebike are quite a ways in the future. Marketing can say all sorts of things but engineering isn't there yet. We need battery cost to drop and hopefully watts/kg to be far better.

I wonder how much impact this will have on family sizes, especially for those just starting out, and not already wealthy.

I wonder how much impact this will have on family sizes, especially for those just starting out, and not already wealthy.
A hell of a lot less than housing. In fact, it could help improve savings. A fuel bill is a weekly reminder of often bad decisions. Suddenly the truck you "needed" can be replaced with a Corolla. Frees up tens of thousands (well probably saves interest on tens of thousands) and cuts your burn rate.

Not as far off as you might think.
best electric motorcycles 2022 energica ego plus rs - Luxe Digital

Widely considered the best full-production electric sports bike available on the market today, the EGO+ / RS boasts a mammoth battery, supporting an out-of-this-world range of 261 miles (420 km).
Too much money but that will change.
Convergence is on the way

5. Delfast - 228 Miles​

With a colossal 228 mile range, the record breaking Ukrainian Delfast Bike is an offroad bike that is powered by a 3kWh battery. As a comparison, most ebikes have a 300 - 700Wh battery! With a top speed of 50mph, it's pushed the limit of electric bike into motorbike territory, however, it comes with a 25 kmh limited mode for road-legal compliance, as well as pedals.

We would have included it higher, but this isn't really an electric bike and is a fully-fledged motorcycle with an impressive range for such as a small frame.

Prices start at $7,000.
What I like is that with EV mcycles there are lots of entry level manufacturing opportunities as there was when the ICE engines were new circa 1908.
I started with a 40 cc smoker that barely cracked 40 mph downwind with a tailwind.
Battery range and density have inproved in only 10 years and prices come way down...it will continue ...unfortunately so will my aging.
Aussie Mobility Brand Releases Chopper-Styled Electric Scooter

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at Mar, 1    2022    1.10.28 PM.jpg

A hell of a lot less than housing. In fact, it could help improve savings. A fuel bill is a weekly reminder of often bad decisions. Suddenly the truck you "needed" can be replaced with a Corolla. Frees up tens of thousands (well probably saves interest on tens of thousands) and cuts your burn rate.
You're talking the executive class rather than the working class who might need a truck to make a living.

It's much easier to change a want than a need.

You're talking the executive class rather than the working class who might need a truck to make a living.

It's much easier to change a want than a need.
The vast majority of the trucks I see on the road are single occupant vehicles that rarely see work use. Sure, there will be the occasional one but most are just vanity projects. If you are using a truck to make a living, a 25% bump in fuel price shouldn't destroy the viability of your job. If it does, you were on borrowed time already. In a similar vein with no practical purpose are a lot of Stellantis V8 offerings. Mostly purchased as vanity accessories when there are more fuel efficient (but worse sounding) choices available.

Last edited by a moderator:
My F150 has been traded in , new vehicle should be here end of March. I cant justify a 4dr 4,000lb tank when I carry MY stuff 4-5times a yr. Now my friends stuff ALL the figgin time is a different story.
I no longer tow a camper, or a power boat , my need to build a deck days are over.

Make sure it's 10 years old and the r/personalfinancecanada will be worshipping you for eons.

My F150 has been traded in , new vehicle should be here end of March. I cant justify a 4dr 4,000lb tank when I carry MY stuff 4-5times a yr. Now my friends stuff ALL the figgin time is a different story.
I no longer tow a camper, or a power boat , my need to build a deck days are over.
What did you trade it in on?

In 2019 (pre covid) I spend about $2,800 a year on fuel for vehicles, about $650 of that for the bike in round numbers. In 2019 gas was about $1.30 / L.

If gas goes up by about 50% from above numbers then I'd be paying about $1000 for bike fuel and, to be quite honest, this incremental cost of $350 would have no impact on my bike trip plans.

For people in general it all depends on your income and stage of life in terms of impact of post covid inflation, including increased energy prices on the family budget. Now we have the issues in Ukraine to worry about as well. I think there are people who are, or will be, really hurting in this new economy and there are people for whom the increased cost is irrelevant, just a cost of doing business.

For me...The Volt is currently at 1600km on $45 of fuel so no change there. However, as of next week I start a hybrid work model in Scarborough so that's going to probably eat up some of it. Parking is $80/month but it includes a free charger so my commute should cancel out the cost of gas.

The Odyssey is at around $80-90 fillup right now, and with my wife stopping work in April - September at the very least, that car will also not be used too often any longer.

As for the bike...I'll be lucky if I can eek out 2,000km this year. So not overly worried.

The ONLY change I may make...is sell the X and finally buy a dedicated off road motorcycle as I can't justify 2 bikes (unless I find a STUPID deal on a used offroad bike, but with COVID pricing...no chance).

TLDR: No change in our driving habits.

I’m sure the guy who bought our Ioniq EV who was previously spending $40/day on gas for his commute in a Jeep is relishing his decision. ~$35/day savings = $700/month in his pocket. And that’s only going to get bigger.

We are using a little bit more gas now having gone back to the second gen Volt but it’s a trade off for being able to use it as our tow pig this summer. Still averaging about 95% electric on every mile we’ve driven it since we bought it in October so no big complaints.

I’m heading off camping at Silent Lake this weekend to kick off the season so I’ll see how it fares mileage wise this time around. It wowed me last time for sure.

As for the bike, well, YOLO. Spending $100 for a day of riding is what it is, it’s not a financial deal breaker for us, but wow….looking back at when I was actively flying 12-15 years ago and spending easily $250/week on that, and having drifted away from aviation for that simple reason, well…..here we are again. Thankfully the financial picture is significantly different this time around, however my wife was getting a little bit testy with $1000 (+) a month in “me me me fun time” back then….

Back
Top Bottom