2021 Ridgeline | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Ridgeline

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
I've always liked the Ridgeline.
I'm liking it more now that it's looking more like a truck. Similar to the gen before last.
Seems the update will happen for the Pilot as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nice. Needs a 6-ft bed or longer for me to look at seriously though.
I've never had a truck, but I have always thought that a 6 foot bed was a bit much.

If you can't carry a cow or a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it, its not a truck...
I was thinking that....but I've already finished my basement and built my deck, shed and kid's ninja obstacle course. I don't plan on carrying any more 4x8 anything lol

An Odyssey can fit 4'x8' sheets of drywall or plywood, and probably a butchered and flash frozen cow.

I wouldn't trust a cow in a pickup, in case it tipped out.

A truck should be able to take a couple of motorcycles, easily.

If you can't carry a cow or a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it, its not a truck...

I put 4x8 sheets in my 2012 Ridgeline, tailgate down just like you would in a 6.5ft bed. Can't say I've had cattle or any other kind of livestock in it but I once brought a skid of paver stones from Concord to Barrie in summer heat with no issues.

It's not a "real" truck in the traditional sense but it's perfect for what most people who buy trucks need.

I like it. Don't need it, but I like it and would buy when the time comes for a new vehicle.

If it is not easier to carry bicycles or motorcycles in my truck than my car, it's not a truck, it is a fashion accessory. If it can fit two bicycles or a motorcycle or two easily, it has my vote.

Busa. (for better effect).

View attachment 45339
spudcam.jpg.optimal.jpg

Not sure I'd trust a tailgate to take weight for any period of time. Especially that far out from the pivot point.

Hit one bump too many, the tailgate collapses, then the rear tie downs go slack , and whoompf.

Not sure I'd trust a tailgate to take weight for any period of time. Especially that far out from the pivot point.

Hit one bump too many, the tailgate collapses, then the rear tie downs go slack , and whoompf.
Maybe an old / rusty beater. Newish should be fine, even with 2 side by each.
Internet says:

For most light-duty trucks you can generally expect around a half-ton tailgate weight capacity. But more specifically: How much weight can a tailgate hold? Between 500-2,000 lbs.

Maybe an old / rusty beater. Newish should be fine, even with 2 side by each.
Internet says:

For most light-duty trucks you can generally expect around a half-ton tailgate weight capacity. But more specifically: How much weight can a tailgate hold? Between 500-2,000 lbs.
I dont trust that website. 2000 lbs? Maybe right in line with the pivot without buckling. 2000 at the tip of the gate should break most trucks.

I trucked a ZX-7R and ZX-10R around plenty of times in a Tacoma with the back wheel on the tailgate and a bed extender to keep it all in place. Never had an issue, and never felt like it was even close to the limit, even when getting in and out. If the tailgate was going to let go, it would do so when the bike and I were up on the ramp, putting a collective 6-700-odd lbs right out at the very edge of the tailgate and bouncing around.

Once in, the front takes most of the weight from tie-downs anyway, so the rear is probably putting 300 lbs max (including some force from tie-downs) on the tailgate at no further than about halfway out. Even with a rough road and big bumps, if a tailgate can't handle that, it's got no business being on a truck.

As for Ridgelines, I think they're awesome. The problem for them and other 'smaller' trucks is that full-size trucks cost about the same (for Tacoma and Ridgeline) or only slightly more (for Ranger).

When I was cross shopping a Ridgeline as a work truck, I could get an F-150 XLT with similar options (bar leather) for about $2,000 less, factoring in dealer discounts. It had the V6 EcoBoost, so was miles ahead in towing and hauling, and only gave up about 1-2 litres/100 km in combined driving (according to fuelly). The cab was way, way bigger as a crew, too. Sacrifices were driving dynamics and road manners, and it's a pain to park in downtown lots.

If I didn't use the truck for work, the Ridgeline would be a lot more tempting, but full-size trucks are so competitively priced that it's tough to compete with something smaller. That's my theory for why light trucks have all but disappeared...

Back
Top Bottom