2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Good riddance Vinales and good luck over at Aprilia. Does anyone really think Maverick will be battling for podiums early next season as he settles in with a new team/bike? Clearly this whole situation (his deteriorating relationship with Yamaha) has proven distracting: he finished dead last at Sachenring. I would love to see Toprak Razgatlioglu take his seat at Yamaha.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

In my opinion, this is probably the most opportune time for a WSBK rider to come to MotoGP. If Toprak's goal is ultimately MotoGP then he should lobby his way into a Yamaha seat now. (more likely than not on the SRT team)

Looks like Morbidelli is getting promoted to Factory?

Finished second in the world championship last year?

If anyone in that paddock deserves it, he does.

I can't see Yamaha signing Dovi to the factory. Maybe...maybe sign him and put him on SRT. As much as SRT might resist having am older rider again, the moto2 pool is really thin and Dovi is a better prospect than any other Moto2 rider willing to sign.

I can't see Yamaha signing Dovi to the factory. Maybe...maybe sign him and put him on SRT. As much as SRT might resist having am older rider again, the moto2 pool is really thin and Dovi is a better prospect than any other Moto2 rider willing to sign.
I don't think either is likely, but I think the factory team is more likely than SRT, and only if SRT puts their foot down about Morbidelli getting poached...

Interesting rumours coming from offseason:

1. Raul Fernandez is almost certainly moving up to Tech3.
2. Lecuona is moving back to Moto2, team TBD.
3. Ajo in Moto2 is interested in Joe Roberts, but he is trying to get the Aprilia seat
4. Vinales/Aprilia is not 100% - Vinales is considering taking a year off
5. Toprak Razgatlıoglu was offered the A-spec seat bike at SRT, which he rejected to stay in WSBK
6. Petrucci is potentially going off-roading (e.g. Dakar) with KTM. He apparently is not interested in Superbike racing.

But the biggest one:

VR46 program might be in trouble. The Aramco sponsorship has not actually been signed. Tanal is pressuring VR to be a full time rider on his team to attempt to get the deal with Aramco secured, but even then it is not entirely guaranteed (I sense it's not happening in any case). If VR46 doesn't race, then the Aramco is highly unlikely to happen, which then poses a problem for Vr46 in that they won't have a primary sponsor, and thus, no funding. VR46 has money, but not enough to fund his program out of pocket. There is a possibility that VR46 will not be on the grid.

As a potential ripple effect to this, both Luca Marini AND Marco Bezzechi could land in SRT BUT the problem there is that there is increasing pressure to have a British rider in MotoGP, and Jake Dixon is already a SRT rider (albeit in Moto2)

It has become all very messy all of a sudden. There is a possiblity that Luca Marini and/or Marco Bezzechi could find themselves without a MotoGP ride. It is all depends on what happens with VR46, Aprilia, and SRT.

Another complication is that VR46 only wants to be a silent partner. He does not want to be a team principle. He wants to go road racing next year. So the question now becomes who would sponsor the VR46 team when VR won't really have a constant presence. Evidently the simple VR46 brand is not enough - at least it looks like that's what Sky thinks.

Last edited:
^ strange marriage that

Aramco while having cash to burn, is not a retail energy Co
having the name on a motoGP team, brand rehabilitation?
or just a mega rich guy exercising his ego? prolly the latter

would be interesting to see Vale back on a Duc
the current dynamics of the Yamaha with the Michelins does not suit him
maybe a point and shoot dragster bike would
5 years ago would have been better though

Aramco while having cash to burn, is not a retail energy Co
having the name on a motoGP team, brand rehabilitation?
or just a mega rich guy exercising his ego? prolly the latter
The sponsorship may say Aramco on the (non-existent?) contract, but it's really with the Saudi state, with Aramco simply providing the legal title and a place to funnel cash. There is a push by the royal family to move Saudi Arabia beyond oil dependence, so they are trying to advertise the country and generate investment into things like the Saudi equivalent of new cities like Dubai.

They've also had lots of bad PR lately, what with murdering journalists, conducting torture and capital punishment on an industrial scale, and dropping lots of bombs on innocent people in the Yemen, so they see sports (and particularly motorsports, with the ongoing need for cash outweighing any moral concerns) as a path to cleaning up their bloody image. (Ultimately, this is why it's so much worse to me than, say, Repsol, who do business in Saudi Arabia, as it's literally sponsorship by murderers, not just people who do business with murderers...)

What I find confusing is why it was assumed that Rossi would race next year without actually discussing it. I can't believe that they would have gotten to the point where they both did press releases and the Saudis wrote a letter confirming sponsorship without this having been cleared up. Unless the Saudis thought they could strong-arm Rossi into racing, but that's such an odd insistence considering where he's finished. It's likely brinksmanship to try and force a better deal, but who knows when oil princes are involved. I know of folks who've gone bust chasing riches in Dubai, only to be refused payment by an Emirati with zero legal recourse...

Reactions: J_F
^ yup

I lived/worked there for a bit not long ago
so you're prolly right
this is part of the Vision 2030 campaign brought in by the fat savage in a dress
an attempt to get some some offshore $$ other than oil money by improving their reputation

resorts under construction on their part of the Red Sea coast to attract westerners
take your wife to a beach resort and put her in a bee keeper suit
no drinks by the pool
yeah, should be a huge attraction

now this makes me smile
one the classiest, well liked riders of the modern era
hope he has a good weekend

Sounds like he is going to use it for additional data gathering, but once the race is on, he is going to give it a go.

I predict a finish between 10 and 15.

So I was admittedly bored, so I decided to rank the motogp riders again after midseason and compared them to where I ranked them in the beginning of the season.

Here are the results:

Biggest gains are Quartararo and Zarco
Biggest losses are Rins and Rossi

As a Rossi fan (all italian riders really), it pains me to put him this low, but i can't rationalize putting him any higher. He is wallowing on bike that has been winning races by other riders. His teammate on a 2 year old bike is outscoring him.

2021 Start Rank​
Rider
2021 Mid Rank​
Rider
Change​
1​
MMarquez
1​
Mmarquez
0​
2​
Mir
2​
Mir
0​
3​
Rins
3​
Quartararo
4​
4​
Morbidelli
4​
Oliviera
2​
5​
Vinales
5​
Morbidelli
-1​
6​
Oliviera
6​
Vinales
-1​
7​
Quartararo
7​
Miller
2​
8​
Binder
8​
Rins
-5​
9​
Miller
9​
Binder
-1​
10​
PEspargaro
10​
Zarco
5​
11​
Bagnaia
11​
Bagnaia
0​
12​
AMarquez
12​
Pespargaro
-2​
13​
Rossi
13​
Amarquez
-1​
14​
Petrucci
14​
Martin
2​
15​
Zarco
15​
Bastianini
2​
16​
Martin
16​
Nakagami
2​
17​
Bastianini
17​
Petrucci
-3​
18​
Nakagami
18​
Marini
1​
19​
Marini
19​
AEspargaro
1​
20​
AEspargaro
20​
Rossi
-7​
21​
Lecuona
21​
Lecuona
0​
22​
Savadori
22​
Savadori
0​

Last edited:
your ranking had MM @ 1 and he's still there?
and Mir @ 2?
The only modern World champions on the grid, make sense on the numbers but I think Rins belongs much lower, he is way too inconsistent to be seen as a top 5 rider most weekends, and this season he proved why Suzuki backs Mir now the way they used to Rins during the Ianone era.

It sucks, as Rins has a really interesting riding style to watch that early on matched the Suzuki rather well, but he just can't perform the way Mir had last year and when he does show up he is always at the knife edge of crashing on what is the most stable, forgiving chassis that is really kind on the tires. I really wish JLO had just tested that bike to see what it really had in it, but Mir on top of that bike answered that question last year--still seeing 99 in action on that bike would still be a treat, even if it were testing.

I honestly want Mav to get that fire he had his first season at Yamaha when he really thought he was a match for Marc when he is on that Aprillia, or ideally a satellite Ducati, because I think when he is on form he can perform in a way that could challenge Mir and a recovering Marc for wins and maybe even championship(s). I fear he may be like Dani in that he will only be the guy that almost won and then had his career fade away as he aged out of competition--with only stories of what if and a lifetime of injuries.

Zarco should definitely be on the top 7 in my opinoin, but otther than that I pretty much agree.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom