2020 superduke R recall | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 superduke R recall

bigpoppa

Looks like its a specific part of the wiring harness

thats it, im buying a v strom

I hear you.

With todays bikes being as technically sophisticated like the new autos coming out, some are much less prone to issues. With our riding season minimal as it is, the last thing we need is to have our bikes laid up at a dealership.

My Gold Wing has been trouble free but being 14 yrs old, it does make me wonder how much longer it will stay that way. At the end of last years season, it blew out a headlight bulb and I left it that way as I didn't want to spend an afternoon taking panels and covers off for a simple bulb change.

I'm taking ownership this week of an old school Bandit. At least I know can tear into the carbs and underpinnings quickly to fix what ever breaks... (y)

@Merkid, you make an excellent point. It hasn't happened to me yet but I can imagine the frustrations of having a new vehicle sitting in the dealer for weeks? waiting for parts or an appointment to get things fixed. Car dealers will bend on a rental or loaner if its a ligitimate factory f up, bike dealers not so much.

FWIW guy I ride with bought a new Vstrom in 2018, had a factory recall, none critical part. Dealer cannot get part without an inspection, once inspected bike could sit for a week, and since several thousand bikes need the same widgit they are backordered forever . Even the most reliable toys can have an issue on occasion

Interesting :unsure: they will replace your 2021 drive chain, but they are not going to tell you what the problem really was. What on earth could you do to make a drive chain dangerous and how could that possibly be model specific, it's just chain, wtf did KTM do, buy a bunch of blatantly defective roller chain and put it on their new motorcycles. That would be a really bad plan.

"didn't want to spend an afternoon taking panels and covers off for a simple bulb change" :unsure: once in 14 years,
but; "taking ownership this week of an old school Bandit. At least I know can tear into the carbs and underpinnings quickly to fix what ever breaks."

Looks like its a specific part of the wiring harness

thats it, im buying a v strom
Ok, I downloaded 4 pdf's so far 3 covering chain defects and one for a brake line.
@bigpoppa how about give us a hint where your KTM wiring recall is.

buy a v-strom :LOL: ya that will fix everything.

I believe its just an inspection/precaution, but you never know
and I was joking about the vstrom

I'd rather be engulfed in flames than ride a strom

:rolleyes: wow you must be bored

"RECALL OF KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R MODEL YEAR 2020: REWORK OF THE TAIL END LOWER PART AND MAIN WIRING HARNESS"
That sounds like your rear lights. If you put on a tail tidy, did you notice anything?

"RECALL OF KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R MODEL YEAR 2020: REWORK OF THE TAIL END LOWER PART AND MAIN WIRING HARNESS"
That sounds like your rear lights. If you put on a tail tidy, did you notice anything?

Bike is completely stock(apart from the mirrors)
no mods or anything(yet)
I believe its part of the wiring harness underneath the seat/subframe, they're worried about chaffing/heating/melting/fire issues
Maybe they saw that video?

Its only for the 2020 models that they want to have inspected, and if necessary any replacements/repairs

@Merkid, you make an excellent point. It hasn't happened to me yet but I can imagine the frustrations of having a new vehicle sitting in the dealer for weeks? waiting for parts or an appointment to get things fixed. Car dealers will bend on a rental or loaner if its a ligitimate factory f up, bike dealers not so much.

FWIW guy I ride with bought a new Vstrom in 2018, had a factory recall, none critical part. Dealer cannot get part without an inspection, once inspected bike could sit for a week, and since several thousand bikes need the same widgit they are backordered forever . Even the most reliable toys can have an issue on occasion
You would think you can make an appointment, ride in for the inspection, and ride out until the part arrives. I never had to deal with recalls, but from speaking to others, that's how Ducati handles them.

You would think you can make an appointment, ride in for the inspection, and ride out until the part arrives. I never had to deal with recalls, but from speaking to others, that's how Ducati handles them.
They have a lot of practice so they get good at them

It depends how much you have to pull apart to see the problem area. They may be an hour deep in the bike to see the area of concern and don't want to put it back together and take it apart again. I would prefer if the manufacturer stocked some parts at dealers so they could grab one from inventory if required and then get another in to replace it, but that's rarely the way it works.

I’m the other way around. Careful what you wish for, getting singed by hot wiring isn’t much fun - particularly if the harness runs between your legs.

Back
Top Bottom