2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS) | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS)

I'm going to disagree, I think the 5 points is plenty, consistency should be rewarded.
Winning is good but finishing and finishing well is everything.

it's not a head to head sport
what's the alternative to the points system?

a playoff?
consistency is king

we'll all agree to disagree.

I think the points system is fine, but winning a race in the current points system IMO is not enough. But this is not something I am going to lose any sleep over.

Yamaha is not renewing Lorenzo as a tester... Peculiar decision IMO, especially when now they are considering Dovi as his replacement.

Rossi tested positive again so is not racing this weekend. His replacement in a WSBK Junior Yamaha rider named Garrett Gerloff. Not sure why neither of the Factory Yamaha team riders were not selected - there is speculation that Toprak Razgatlıoğlu turned it down due to conflict with his personal Red Bull sponsorship and the Monster MotoGP sponsorship. No idea about Van der Mark (who was statistically better than Garrett Gerloff.

VDM has jumped ship to BMW so that would rule him out.
Gerloff has been showing some good form but a bit inconsistent.

that situation with Lorenzo is a strange read
the project with him didn't work out because they could only arrange one test?
and that is the reasoning he is out and Dovi may be in?

Covid is Lorenzo's fault?
there's more here that's not being said

I'm just guessing
but there may be the involvement of a certain Italian racer

Absolutely, that's why Rossi and Quateraro were whinging about why Yamaha were not using Lorenzo.

Reactions: J_F
Absolutely, that's why Rossi and Quateraro were whinging about why Yamaha were not using Lorenzo.
Lorenzo was like *** 4 *** seconds off the pace in the last rounds of testing. Not even reasonable.

Lorenzo was like *** 4 *** seconds off the pace in the last rounds of testing. Not even reasonable.
If they don't let him ride the bike what else would you expect?
Anyway Rossi will be on the bike tomorrow so it's all moot.
Gerloff did ok in FP 1&2 for a first timer.

that situation with Yamaha at the start of the season sounded fishy
applied for an exception over engine problems

then withdrew the application
because they didn't have the docs to support it?

and now Mav is starting from pit lane
the story will eventually come out I suppose

but this is not the sort of behavior I've come to expect from the tuning fork brand
they are far above this

Enea Bastianini incredible save in the Moto2 Q2 session this morning!
If he does that at 100mph+ he'll be ready to take on Marc in GP. It is impressive but that looks like he is in cruising speed rather than a hot lap.

Mav was pretty much emotionally defeated, so this pitlane start will proabably either fire him up to go all gun sblazing or simply give up for the rest of the year. It'll be interesting to see if his mental game has gotten any better since Aragon 2.

Looks like Dovisioso is officially taking a sabbatical. Unfortunate I think - he's at the age where his value will drop quickly, and I doubt anyone will pick him up as a factory/satellite rider for 2022.

He's been my favourite rider for a long time. Hopefully he has some magic left in his bag of tricks for the last two races, which might be the remainder of his MotoGP career.

• Sad
Looks like Dovisioso is officially taking a sabbatical. Unfortunate I think - he's at the age where his value will drop quickly, and I doubt anyone will pick him up as a factory/satellite rider for 2022.

He's been my favourite rider for a long time. Hopefully he has some magic left in his bag of tricks for the last two races, which might be the remainder of his MotoGP career.

Dovi is 36 years old and healthy. he did a lot for ducati. if I were Dovi - I would be happy. Have a Cerveza Mr Dovi and enjoy your rich success...

looks like Dovi has earned in salary around 35 mil + endorsements
comes across as a bright guy
so I'm sure he's managed that well and will be comfortable for life
and life is affordable in Italy

but
36 is awfully early to retire
and he still has some speed left in him

Maybe Mav has had enough - looks like he has
and Morbidelli joins Fabio next year on the Monster Energy R1M's
and we could have 2 old Italians on the SRT bikes

yeah just dreaming aloud

36 is awfully early to retire

That's actually the median age for most of the elite in sports. They tend to peak somewhere in the mid to late 20s, ride that until they start to fade into their mid 30s. This also gives them ample time to recover and still get a chance of that 'comeback' payout that, too.

I always thought if Dovi didn't get a test rider position than he'd probably end up in Motorcross and maybe do some commentary for SkyItalia. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed his last years at Ducati, either. So why continue?

Either way, this year was one to forget for Dovi and since Marc was untouchable in 2019 (despite all the injuries) I can see why he'd probably wan to move on.

Back
Top Bottom