2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS) | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS)

Great race.

Suzuki was strong, Yamaha started very well but floundered.

AMarquez has transformed his form nicely in the last 2 races.

8 different race winners and the championship leader has not won a race this year. Unreal.

I hate how much tires have been a factor. I wish they were not the story seemingly every race.

Hell of a race!
Usually I have a favourite for the win, but on the last few laps I'd have been happy to see it go either way.
I expect the tyres are going to be even more critical as we get into November.

All the races were excellent viewing this weekend. This season I find myself watching much more moto2 and moto3. There’s been some fantastic racing in all three classes.

So much crazy drafting and passing on the smaller bikes. Only in moto3 could a rider start on the fourth row, quickly climb to 8th place, take a long lap penalty dropping to 17th and end up finishing in 5th place, 0.3 seconds off the win 17 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great race.

Suzuki was strong, Yamaha started very well but floundered.

AMarquez has transformed his form nicely in the last 2 races.

8 different race winners and the championship leader has not won a race this year. Unreal.

I hate how much tires have been a factor. I wish they were not the story seemingly every race.
100%

and some good riders that are not midgets are being penalized for it

That's why I like watching the Superpole Sprint Race in WSBK. 10 laps of balls-out racing, start to finish.

Too much of MotoGP these days is just circulating around for the first 20 laps and then balls-out for the last 3. Same thing as qualifying, 10 minutes of "installation laps" and "banker laps" and then the last 2-3 minutes is where the action really happens.

I liked how Casey Stoner used to do Qualifying. He'd set his fastest lap in the first session and then sit in the box the rest of the 20 minutes while the rest of the field tried to match his time. And if anyone came close or beat him, he'd just put his helmet back on and go out again.

Arrogant, but deservedly so.

I noticed that Rossi almost always performs best on his very last flying lap in qualifying. He seems to need the extra pressure that comes with the do-or-die situation, or something.

Anyway, tremendous race once again IMO. I don't mind the tire drama - everyone has to deal with the same stuff so you'd think they'd find a way around premature wear. Did FQ explain what happened to him? Franco seemed mostly fine.

Cool to see A Marquez growing into his own. He's the polar opposite of his brother so far - can't qualify for **** but he's rock solid on race day and he never goes down.

Did FQ explain what happened to him?

Says front tire pressure caused him problems.

I noticed that Rossi almost always performs best on his very last flying lap in qualifying. He seems to need the extra pressure that comes with the do-or-die situation, or something.

I think for most riders, it's that nothing-to-lose mentality. Keep running faster laps and pushing the limits throughout the session and if you bin it later on in the session, at least your last fastest lap-time counts. If you go all-out on the first lap and crash, you won't have set a bench-mark time at all and then it's back-of-the grid for you.

And if you're still up on two wheels at the end of the Q session, then go 11/10ths on the last lap. If you crash out, at least the bike can be repaired overnight before the race.

Too much of MotoGP these days is just circulating around for the first 20 laps and then balls-out for the last 3. Same thing as qualifying, 10 minutes of "installation laps" and "banker laps" and then the last 2-3 minutes is where the action really happens.

To this point, it drives me batty when you see rider trying to make his way through the field and the impulsive reactive comment is ALWAYS "will he have enough tires to last the race?" IMO, that should not even be a question. Tires should not be such a factor.

Moto2: All of a sudden Sam Lowes wins 3 in a row and is winning the championship. MarcVDS' decision to sign him all of a sudden looks like the right one. I was mildly skeptical of that decision given all the other talent available.

...and that's why I am an armchair fan.

Really disappointed for Nakagami and Marquez, would've made for a more exciting race with both in the mix 'til the end.

And yeah, I'm not feeling this Mir championship at all, hopefully he wins at least one race to validate it.

What's FQ's excuse today? He's blowing it big time.

Small chance that Portimao will be cancelled, but fans definitely no longer allowed to watch the race due to rising infection numbers in Portugal

Last edited:
Ok, could be an unpopular opinion:

If Mir wins the championship without winning a race, he deserves it. He would win the championship under the paradigm that was set out that everyone knew.

That said, I don't think wins are rewarded enough in the current points system. Simultaneously, I recognize reforming the points system to reward wins more are likely to make championships less dramatic. I don't know what the optimal answer is. Maybe giving 5 extra points for the win is warranted, so 30 vs 25, and 2nd place is still rewarded 20 etc.

Ok, could be an unpopular opinion:

If Mir wins the championship without winning a race, he deserves it. He would win the championship under the paradigm that was set out that everyone knew.

That said, I don't think wins are rewarded enough in the current points system. Simultaneously, I recognize reforming the points system to reward wins more are likely to make championships less dramatic. I don't know what the optimal answer is. Maybe giving 5 extra points for the win is warranted, so 30 vs 25, and 2nd place is still rewarded 20 etc.
it's a points championship. rider with most points at end of season wins and deserves to win. nothing needs to change, winning a race already rewards a rider with more points.

all this means is that it was that kind of season, no one was dominant with multiple wins.

Back
Top Bottom