2020 Day Trips! | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

Looks good. Be mindful if you have never been on Southwood Rd 13 (near Bala), that it is quite twisty with pretty crap road quality. Expect to have frost heaves in mid corner as well as gravel, sand and potholes. Slow right down for the two railway crossings - they are in poor condition.

I still say go for it to experience it, but if that is the last twisty road on your ride, then maybe take a quick break before in Bala, so your mind will be alert.
Noted. Appreciate the heads-up.

Don't skip Southwood road 13!!. Yes the road surface isn't perfect but it's easily one of my favourite roads within a 2hr radius. I was out there (by car) on Monday night for some star gazing/photography. The condition of the road is as good as it can get. I always plot this road on my route whenever possible.

^^ Yes, I looked it up on gmaps and I happen recognise the place too - I have been to Torrance in pitch darkness with a couple of friends for some astro-photography, with our heavy camera equipment and winter gear. In a car. This time, will take the road, on 2 wheels, in daylight.

Also, in a bid to avoid the 400 (I struggle to stay awake on highways), I was looking up alternate routes to Barrie, and came across a road "forks of the credit" while searching for new routes. Looks interesting, and seemed to be generally liked - over the internet; will plan a route around it, it while going up towards Barrie.

^^ Yes, I looked it up on gmaps and I happen recognise the place too - I have been to Torrance in pitch darkness with a couple of friends for some astro-photography, with our heavy camera equipment and winter gear. In a car. This time, will take the road, on 2 wheels, in daylight.

Also, in a bid to avoid the 400 (I struggle to stay awake on highways), I was looking up alternate routes to Barrie, and came across a road "forks of the credit" while searching for new routes. Looks interesting, and seemed to be generally liked - over the internet; will plan a route around it, it while going up towards Barrie.

avoid the forks on the warm weekends, full of tourists...traffic...OPP, on a cool weekday, its a nice ride.

Last edited:
in the off-chance anyone is riding in this area Saturday - looks like the last ride for me
I know the roads well and can have my arm twisted into buying coffee and butter tarts

9NTKYy3.png

Too nice out even early I'm in summer gloves ...lots of bicyclist and bikes out already at the Forks. Bit of colour along the escarpment still looks good in the sun
Marginal photo from the iPhoneforksoct10lem.jpeg

Last edited:
Southwood 13 - What a road! I think am going to turn around and do it again ?

Thanks for recommending, made my morning!

Did they finish fixing it? I've never seen potholes inside potholes before. I was on my supermoto and thought it was rough. My friend's headlight vibrated off while we were on it.

Finally after some service heahaches, yesterday I was able to do a day trip to check out the fall colours.

Main idea was to head over to the Muskoka's and Algonquin, maybe to ambious so this is how it turned out.
route map.jpg

Pitstop to check out some fall colours outside of Kirkfield
fall colours road.jpg

Heard about this lookout in the Muskoka's, Huckleberry Rock
huckleberry rock.jpg

The view, iphone, can capture it all, but not bad.
view from rock.jpg

Apparently this chair is famous on Google Maps
famous chair.jpg

Pitstop in Dorset on the way home
dorset.jpg

Did they finish fixing it? I've never seen potholes inside potholes before. I was on my supermoto and thought it was rough. My friend's headlight vibrated off while we were on it.
They repaved a huge section in the middle recently, still rougher on the ends. Likely the best I've ever seen it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Went out today for the first time since the second weekend in September. My sciatica flared up in a big way and it put me totally out of commission (for 2 wheels at least) for far too long, but my one leg was literally so weak I don't think I could have held the bike up if I got the slightest bit off balance at a stop. Heck, I was almost at the point where I couldn't walk at a few points. Brutal.

Then all of a sudden, Wednesday afternoon, like a light switch, whatever nerve was impinged....let go. Within minutes 80% of the pain was gone. I could stand upright normally again instead of bent over to the right at an angle. The strength in my leg came back instantly. Knee and hip was sore for the first few hours of walking normally again after weeks of walking with a limp.

Anyhow, got out for 4-5 hours today to enjoy some of the fall colours.

During my outbreak in lieu of riding however my wife and I did take off on a little impromptu adventure on 6 wheels out to Gaspe. Been 5 years since we sold our 5th wheel - this little rental critter took some getting used to size-wise, but had everything we needed and wanted including a full bathroom. Scenery out there sure was epic - it's a must-do on 2 wheels at some point in the future now, having been there now.

IMG_5022.jpeg

Forgot to mention, found my rear tire flat when I went to check on the bike Friday morning in preparation for todays ride. Sure enough, chunk of metal in the rear tire. Was able to yank it out, ream it, and plug it - was just off dead centre at least (nowhere near the sidewall), so it patched pretty well and held air all day today. Put the tire on a few months ago but was surprised to see when I checked (as I was ****** that I had a hole in what felt like a brand new tire) that I had over 10,000KM on it already. And the tread looks like it may only have another 5000 in it. I'll probably just continue running it with the plug, but don't feel so bad at least now.

Went out today for the first time since the second weekend in September. My sciatica flared up in a big way and it put me totally out of commission (for 2 wheels at least) for far too long, but my one leg was literally so weak I don't think I could have held the bike up if I got the slightest bit off balance at a stop. Heck, I was almost at the point where I couldn't walk at a few points. Brutal.

Then all of a sudden, Wednesday afternoon, like a light switch, whatever nerve was impinged....let go. Within minutes 80% of the pain was gone. I could stand upright normally again instead of bent over to the right at an angle. The strength in my leg came back instantly. Knee and hip was sore for the first few hours of walking normally again after weeks of walking with a limp.

Anyhow, got out for 4-5 hours today to enjoy some of the fall colours.

During my outbreak in lieu of riding however my wife and I did take off on a little impromptu adventure on 6 wheels out to Gaspe. Been 5 years since we sold our 5th wheel - this little rental critter took some getting used to size-wise, but had everything we needed and wanted including a full bathroom. Scenery out there sure was epic - it's a must-do on 2 wheels at some point in the future now, having been there now.

View attachment 45338
Sweet trip, I'm glad you were able to do it. What did you tow the trailer with? I thought you only owned electric cars.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Sweet trip, I'm glad you were able to do it. What did you tow the trailer with? I thought you only owned electric cars.

Yeah, that was a problem. My Wife's Ioniq would tow it, but we'd be looking for charging stations every 150km at best when towing. There's lots of charging stations in Quebec (yes, even Gaspe) but obviously we didn't want to do that.

My Volt would have towed it (the trailer only weighed about 2000# loaded, believe it or not, those ProLite trailers really ARE light) but the choice of hitches for the Gen1 Volt are very limited - a Class 1 Curt that bolts up properly to the subframe on one side but relies on a hole punched into the trunk pan and some washers on the other side - in other words, not even close to suitable for towing an actual trailer beyond a little utility trailer or something. There is a proper class 2 hitch but it's only made by one company in the USA, is apparently quite rare, and would be somewhere in the $800 to $1000 range by the time I got it to our door..and given the fact this was a spur of the moment (1 week from inception to departure) trip I wouldn't even have been able to get it in time.

Ended up borrowing my daughters Kia Soul. Found a hitch on Kijiji for $80. Wired it for lights myself with about $50 of parts from Princess Auto, and installed a trailer brake controller I had kicking around in my garage leftover from our past RV'ing days. Done. Towed like a dream even in some of the brutal ~17% grades we experienced. Was glad to have the trailer brakes, lets put it that way.

^ looks like the rental Co. name on the back

What trailer and where did you rent it? Looks tempting for a trip.

Little place called Location MP in Yamachiche quebec. Worked out well, just trucked the 700km to and from there without the trailer since we didn't need it for those stretches anyways. Couldn't believe it, but only $50/day...perhaps because it was off season or whatever (I can only imagine the rates go up dramatically in the summer peak months) but hell, we couldn't stay in AirBnB's for that little each night..and we didn't really want to anyways with the Covid stuff out there. Plus cooking 3 meals a day on our own = less exposure/less $.

The trailer was awesome. Toilet, shower (wet bath style), 2 burner stove, fridge, sink, hot and cold running water, twin bed in the nose and a 2 person dinette so that we didn't need to bother folding up the bed every morning to have a place to sit/eat. So much in such a small and light package.

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

Great day for a ride. Went up and around Hockley Vally and Mono.

I actually had a mishap today. I dumped the bike. Nothing broken etc, just a slow speed dump. I was on a dead end dirt road at which I needed to do a u turn, but I was avoiding some puddles by staying on the edge of the road when I hit some bad mud, then down it went... :rolleyes:
I didn't take a photo as I wanted to make sure I could get back up and going, lifted it up and finished the turn.
Of course my GoPro didn't capture the footage either... dam GoPro sometimes it does stupid things.

Anyhow here is a shot from a pitstop near Mono..

mono hills.jpg

So nice out great sun!

Drops happen, and in a big cruiser they’re rarely much to fret about as there’s usually crash bars to protect the actual bike from turtling and hurting anything important.

Back
Top Bottom