2019 Scrambler Icon - review | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 Scrambler Icon - review

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Have had the bike for a total of about a month or so, and finally took it out further than 10km from the house.

Big mistake. Had the day off so I’d figure I do my annual Mississauga - Fort Erie - Niagara - NOTL ride to get familiar with it on a nice and relaxing ride. The radar and weather app lied…got caught in a small drizzle and stopped at a motel to hide under their soffits.

As an idiot, and believing radar, I pushed on…holy hell. Drenched to the bone once I passed through Niagara Falls. At least the hand warmers work great!

Highway
No major issues with the bike there. Fairly comfortable and very stable up to (and possibly beyond HTA172 limits). Accelerates great, simple twist in 6th gear will pull nicely from 120-140kph with zero hesitation. I like. Oh the sound….that sweet sweet sound.

Only issue I had is the buffeting as there’s zero wind protection. Up to 115-120 it’s ok, anywhere above that…wants to rip your arms off there’s so much wind.

Good road manners everywhere, especially in the city and lower speeds. Niagara Parkway was great and due to light traffic I could putter along at 60-80 with no traffic except the work zone that’s for a good portion of it ripped up with horrible asphalt. Will be great once they’re done with the repairs. Bike seems to love this pace.

Brakes. Lil soft still so I’ll take up @Relax offer once we can find a time, as siding takes priority.

As I’m not a great rider I didn’t push it, and the wet pavement didn’t inspire confidence in me so I took it very easy (almost too easy). Not sure how it’ll corner compared to the X, but the X was great for my abilities.

Gas mileage was … ok. 170km on the odo and the fuel light comes on. I like that it has a range meter so I found a gas station with 30km to spare.

The noise…love the pops and gurgles as it lets off. Above 6k the tone changes very nicely.

Suspension, rather soft but it’s a large gripe among the community. Will try adjusting the preload and maybe that’ll help.

Tank panels aren’t metal so can’t use my existing tank bag. Will have to find one that straps on, or has magnets in the middle and not on the sides.

Seat…alright, but if I paid $500+ for a Mustang Seat I’d be pretty upset. I didn’t find it all that great, regardless of the rave reviews. May try out the stock seat or toss on my AirHawk to see how it feels. Best part is there’s a lot of real estate to change positions often while riding.

I didn’t bother with NOTL as I was cold, shivering, and tired from the wind blast. Stopped in St Catherine’s for gas, and booked it home.

Of course once I decided to stop chasing NOTL the rain stopped, the sun came out, and the temp rose. Got off on Eastgate (?) and saw the lift bridge moving for the first time in my life. The rest of the ride along Lakeshore was glorious. Nice pace, good feeling, and the bike was in its element.

Overall a garbage experience due to weather, but can’t fault the bike for that. I need a windscreen for sure, because the way the bike stands now…1hr on the highway max.

Need to get comfortable with it also to push corners further and faster, and slowly rebuild confidence as I rarely rode this season.

Hiding from the rain under a bridge between NF and NOTL:
IMG_0585.jpeg

And on the QEW at a motel:
IMG_0580.jpeg

Great writeup! Thanks for the review!

Sorry the conditions weren't that great, but like they say, "A bad day on the bike is better than good day in the orifice!"
Thanks. And to top it off my stupid CARDO unit didn’t turn on. I was sure I charged it but wouldn’t turn on or connect to the phone.

I really had a bad feeling about the day before I even left the house. Almost stalled 2x leaving my street. And it went downhill from there…until the sun came out.

Have had the bike for a total of about a month or so, and finally took it out further than 10km from the house.

Big mistake. Had the day off so I’d figure I do my annual Mississauga - Fort Erie - Niagara - NOTL ride to get familiar with it on a nice and relaxing ride. The radar and weather app lied…got caught in a small drizzle and stopped at a motel to hide under their soffits.

As an idiot, and believing radar, I pushed on…holy hell. Drenched to the bone once I passed through Niagara Falls. At least the hand warmers work great!

Highway
No major issues with the bike there. Fairly comfortable and very stable up to (and possibly beyond HTA172 limits). Accelerates great, simple twist in 6th gear will pull nicely from 120-140kph with zero hesitation. I like. Oh the sound….that sweet sweet sound.

Only issue I had is the buffeting as there’s zero wind protection. Up to 115-120 it’s ok, anywhere above that…wants to rip your arms off there’s so much wind.

Good road manners everywhere, especially in the city and lower speeds. Niagara Parkway was great and due to light traffic I could putter along at 60-80 with no traffic except the work zone that’s for a good portion of it ripped up with horrible asphalt. Will be great once they’re done with the repairs. Bike seems to love this pace.

Brakes. Lil soft still so I’ll take up @Relax offer once we can find a time, as siding takes priority.

As I’m not a great rider I didn’t push it, and the wet pavement didn’t inspire confidence in me so I took it very easy (almost too easy). Not sure how it’ll corner compared to the X, but the X was great for my abilities.

Gas mileage was … ok. 170km on the odo and the fuel light comes on. I like that it has a range meter so I found a gas station with 30km to spare.

The noise…love the pops and gurgles as it lets off. Above 6k the tone changes very nicely.

Suspension, rather soft but it’s a large gripe among the community. Will try adjusting the preload and maybe that’ll help.

Tank panels aren’t metal so can’t use my existing tank bag. Will have to find one that straps on, or has magnets in the middle and not on the sides.

Seat…alright, but if I paid $500+ for a Mustang Seat I’d be pretty upset. I didn’t find it all that great, regardless of the rave reviews. May try out the stock seat or toss on my AirHawk to see how it feels. Best part is there’s a lot of real estate to change positions often while riding.

I didn’t bother with NOTL as I was cold, shivering, and tired from the wind blast. Stopped in St Catherine’s for gas, and booked it home.

Of course once I decided to stop chasing NOTL the rain stopped, the sun came out, and the temp rose. Got off on Eastgate (?) and saw the lift bridge moving for the first time in my life. The rest of the ride along Lakeshore was glorious. Nice pace, good feeling, and the bike was in its element.

Overall a garbage experience due to weather, but can’t fault the bike for that. I need a windscreen for sure, because the way the bike stands now…1hr on the highway max.

Need to get comfortable with it also to push corners further and faster, and slowly rebuild confidence as I rarely rode this season.

Hiding from the rain under a bridge between NF and NOTL:
View attachment 62550

And on the QEW at a motel:
View attachment 62551
How do you find the infamous ducati heat?

Agree on wind - stock handlebars (high and wide), and no wind protection, you're a sail.

With Mustang seat (lower than stock) and lower bars, should be better. Found the Mustang seat more forgiving than stock - 6-8 hours on a given day was doable, couldn't do more than 2-3 hours on stock.

I've only ever really owned naked bikes and find wearing a leather jacket (weather permitting) helps with drag. My textile jacket with all its flaps and vents seems to add to the sail effect. Plus a good helmet.

Nice review, seems like the perfect day to test it out, if in less ideal conditions you like it, can only be better on nicer days!

Very well thought out review, enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the Airhawk will make a huge difference.

The Tracer stock seat is garbage, a Bagster with the upgraded foam better, but a 2 hour seat, sold. Sent the stock seat to Terry Adcox to be rebuilt, big improvement, but no Russell Day Long, so I still use my AirHawk. BTW, Terry Adcox has passed on.

The pops and gurgles as it lets off is likely from changing the exhaust and not getting a tune. You're likely running a little lean. It's probably fine but might be worth checking your spark plugs some day.

It went away on my street bob after getting a power commander but I missed the pops so I modified the map that I had downloaded and managed to tweak it so that it went super lean if RPM is high and throttle is at zero but proper any other time. Now I've got engine pops on-demand to make my Harley more obnoxious.

The pops and gurgles as it lets off is likely from changing the exhaust and not getting a tune. You're likely running a little lean. It's probably fine but might be worth checking your spark plugs some day.

It went away on my street bob after getting a power commander but I missed the pops so I modified the map that I had downloaded and managed to tweak it so that it went super lean if RPM is high and throttle is at zero but proper any other time. Now I've got engine pops on-demand to make my Harley more obnoxious.
The bike did come with a Power Commander 5(?) and the original owner said they tuned it for the exhaust as well. But I have no clue what the original tune / sound is as I haven't actually heard a Scrambler with a stock exhaust in person.

However, even running a little bit lean...I do love the sound of it. Actually took a video of it yesterday and comes out good.

Yes, the Airhawk will make a huge difference.

The Tracer stock seat is garbage, a Bagster with the upgraded foam better, but a 2 hour seat, sold. Sent the stock seat to Terry Adcox to be rebuilt, big improvement, but no Russell Day Long, so I still use my AirHawk. BTW, Terry Adcox has passed on.
Thanks. I'll try with the AirHawk on and that should def increase the distance of comfort. Sometimes I'll ride without the AirHawk on, once my *** gets tired I'll install it and continue on.

Nice review @mimico_polak . Cool bike. Whenever you are planing to venture out again, give me a shout, I would love to join you and the Ducati 👍

Nice review @mimico_polak . Cool bike. Whenever you are planing to venture out again, give me a shout, I would love to join you and the Ducati 👍
Sounds good. Let me know where you are. I'm planning on going to the burger meet tonight, but depends on dentist and the little monsters in the house. If they're good and cool, already got the go ahead from my wife.

Today was a better day. Dad wasn’t feeling like working on the scaffold, wife went to the cottage, so I hopped on the bike and took a romp.

Better weather, CARDO unit working, everything lined up for a good ride. And it was a great ride.

Bike corners awesome, way better than I can exploit it, and feels more planted than the X. The sound is good, the brakes are weird because sometimes they’re firm, and sometimes they’re soft and squishy. They were squeaking at the start of the ride so I’m going to replace the pads in the winter front and back.

Apparently Wasaga got some hail and massive rain so my scrambler did some scramblering. Now to tidy up some chores and back home through possible blue mountains before it gets dark.

IMG_0650.jpeg
Those spokes wheels are growing on me.

IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0660.jpeg

Today was a better day. Dad wasn’t feeling like working on the scaffold, wife went to the cottage, so I hopped on the bike and took a romp.

Better weather, CARDO unit working, everything lined up for a good ride. And it was a great ride.

Bike corners awesome, way better than I can exploit it, and feels more planted than the X. The sound is good, the brakes are weird because sometimes they’re firm, and sometimes they’re soft and squishy. They were squeaking at the start of the ride so I’m going to replace the pads in the winter front and back.

Apparently Wasaga got some hail and massive rain so my scrambler did some scramblering. Now to tidy up some chores and back home through possible blue mountains before it gets dark.

View attachment 62604
Those spokes wheels are growing on me.

View attachment 62605
View attachment 62606
until you need to clean them 😫

Now that was a fun ride home. Rain, sun, rain, sun….

At least I got to run through the Forks, Badlands, and stopped for a quick pic.

IMG_0671.jpeg

I need a detachable windshield and a centre stand.

EDIT:

Fun fact…the Scrambler cost me more in fuel to get to the cottage and back than my Volt…

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom