2019 MotoGP Discussion (No links) | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 MotoGP Discussion (No links)

You guys have short memories, early in the season last year everyone thought he was washed up. New gas tank and boom, the old Lorenzo is back. Name me one other rider in the current Moto gp line up that has something to give MM93 a challenge.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one scoffing at the thought of him retiring around here when most had written him off completely, but you're right: this is ultimately a result-driven affair, and his last win was too long ago to recall for some.

But... this is from the man himself:

Marc Marquez still hasn't won this world championship, and not only because there are still 10 Grand Prixs to finish.
"In the past two years, it was a two-man fight: Me with Honda against Ducati. It's no longer like that today. Now there's Yamaha. They're doing really well recently with Vinales. And then there's Suzuki with Rins. Without forgetting Quartararo. It's no longer a two-man fight."

reminds me of last year at a pre-race press conference
can't remember what race, but it coincided with the announcement of JLO to HRC

Crutchlow was present, I'm assuming because they wanted at least one anglophone up there
an English journalist asks him this: Cal, do you have any advice for Jorge on riding the Honda ?
Answer, after an eye roll: he's a world champion, he'll figure it out

Last edited:
interesting first lap
and last few laps

Dorna needs to bring in a broadcast partner
while running replays on a crash
they miss a crucial 2/3 position change

can someone show them the magic of a split screen?
brutal

MM runs out of gas on the celebration lap
gets a ride back on a Yamaha ?

g2Hi4cv.png

MM93 isn't invincible; and he's not an alien (lol he smiles too much), but he is the best combination of bike and rider at the moment.
Suzuki - give Alex Rins what he deserves and spend some extra R&D money to give him the engine he needs to win a championship. He's young, fast, and hungry.

I was hoping for 3-5 riders dicing at the front for this race. Shame about Dovi and Fabio Quartaroro crashing at the start.

Last edited:
Pity about the crash, would have been great to see more people fighting for the lead. Still though I thought it was a good race and one of the better ones as of late. Great win by Rins.

Im impressed silverstone resurfaced. After last years fiasco, im wondering if they would have had a race had they not?

MM runs out of gas on the celebration lap
gets a ride back on a Yamaha ?

g2Hi4cv.png

Haha, the closest champion Yamaha has had on one of their bikes since JLO left. ;)

Just caught up on the races, and Moto3 and MotoGP were on point. Looks like Silverstone finally got their act together after having been threatened to be dropped from the GP calendar after last year's catastrophe.

Rins definitely needs a proper engine from Suzuki if they want to be competitive for wins; but, I feel he (like Fabio) will be made better because of it. The chassis looks good in the corners, so it requires them to setup overtakes with unorothodox lines and a extremely late braking.

Mav's podium and Rossi's positiions were probably more likely a 6/7th had Dovi and Fabio stayed on their bikes.

Im impressed silverstone resurfaced. After last years fiasco, im wondering if they would have had a race had they not?

Nope, I think Dorna told them flatout they were under threat of losing the GP slot if they didn't deliver. Silverstone has good racing lineage, but it looked like the bean-counters were trying to cut coroners in order to maximize ROI, it probably ended up costing them way more than if they had just done it correctly, but... ultimately they got the track up to spec, so it doesn't really matter.

I would say some credit is due to silverstone - they've invested some serious coin to improve the circuit.

In 2020 Finland will have a motogp race. Its been a long long time since they've hosted a premier class race. Looking forward to it.

just watched moto2, finally. wow ! the last 5-6 laps or so were incredible. bikes sliding, bikes touching, if you only watch one of the 3 races at silverstone - moto2 is the one to watch. boy oh boy that was a great race.
man, I still have a great big smile on my face..

There are links (2) to the races posted in multimedia; just click and watch - no computer skills req'd.

Last edited:
just watched moto2, finally. wow ! the last 5-6 laps or so were incredible. bikes sliding, bikes touching, if you only watch one of the 3 races at silverstone - moto2 is the one to watch. boy oh boy that was a great race.
man, I still have a great big smile on my face..

There are links (2) to the races posted in multimedia; just click and watch - no computer skills req'd.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't get round to seeing Moto2 or Moto3 at Silverstone so will definitely check it out.

Great race. Binder's riding style is definitely entertaining to watch. He seems to ride the sh*t out of the bike and punish the tires lol. Curious to see how he fares with KTM in MotoGP next season.

What the... is Brno likely to be axed next year? That's like the top 5 tracks of the GP calendar for me:

The money has to be put up to re-surface the place, Abraham's father owns that track and its probably why he is even on the grid at all. Crazy to see that this could happen, I couldn't care less about Finland, it honestly looked a bit under developed to be on next year's calendar.

What the... is Brno likely to be axed next year? That's like the top 5 tracks of the GP calendar for me:

The money has to be put up to re-surface the place, Abraham's father owns that track and its probably why he is even on the grid at all. Crazy to see that this could happen, I couldn't care less about Finland, it honestly looked a bit under developed to be on next year's calendar.

COTA was only 3/4 finished for the inaugural race back in 2013. I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

COTA was only 3/4 finished for the inaugural race back in 2013. I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

I think I watched the first F1 race, and remember they had the high rise stand thing and maybe a ride or something when it was Live, I didn't see the Motogp race, but in this video of the recap it looks way more fleshed out than 3/4 of the way: the run off is there, as are the guardrails and the paddock looks completely done:

Anyhow, I don't want to discount the Finnish race, but I'd hate to lose Brno and hope it gets paved, its always a good race.

Apparently, Puig is going on the MotoGP podcast talking down JLO:

Puig is an arze hole. Lorenzo has broken his back in two places. He IS risking his mobility and life. In my opinion he shouldn't even be racing this season. When Wayne Rainey got himself in a wheelchair (paraplegic) he did so in a rather non violent get off while racing in the premier 500cc class (in the 90's). He was racing with an unhealed back injury like Lorenzo's. Dumb move. I believe Lorenzo will just ride out his contract with honda and bank his huge honda pay, much to Puig's chagrin. Puig is a grade 'A' pos for his comments. unbelievable. However, I think Lorenzo's racing career is basically over... retire healthy and walking Lorenzo.

As for car guys racing motorcycles - nope, unlikely. Its a sport you start when young.

However, the opposite is true;

John Surtees, CBE (11 February 1934 – 10 March 2017) was an English Grand Prix motorcycle road racer and Formula One driver. He was a four-time 500cc motorcycle World Champion – winning that title in 1956, 1958, 1959 and 1960 – the Formula One World Champion in 1964, and remains the only person to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels. He founded the Surtees Racing Organisation team that competed as a constructor in Formula One, Formula 2 and Formula 5000 from 1970 to 1978. He was also the ambassador of the Racing Steps Foundation.

There are other cases of motorcycle racers becoming successful car racers.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom