2019 MotoGP Discussion (No links) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 MotoGP Discussion (No links)

Lorenzo was 12 on the grid and LAST at the first corner. Has no experience launching the Honda and it shows. I thought the race was great as long as you didn't realize there was someone ahead of 2nd place!

Dude is just getting over broken ribs from the last race. You should see a much stronger Lorenzo at COTA.

Yes indeed. Moto3 delivered (as usual) and Moto2 wasn't bad but MotoGP was underwhelming. It's going to be a long, dull year if Honda have the bike sorted like this. And to think this is supposed to be Marquez's 'weak' portion of the season while his shoulder is still healing.

Nice to see the old man get second. Vinales sucked off the start and didn't even show his usual late race speed to compensate for his start
. Speaking of sucking off the start, what happened to Lorenzo?

Mark

Utter domination.

Well, Argentina may not be a Honda track exactly, but its definitely one Marc has always done really well at since he got to MotoGP; I think after COTA and the Saxonring this maybe one of the tracks he just goes really well at without much competetion. Last year, had he just served one ride through he would have still been on the podium. Whereas Cructhlow, for example, never recovered from his.

But, I agree, HRC have finally given Marc a bike with most of the acceleration and stability issues worked out, and now he's killing the field. I'm not sure who can take the fight to him as-is on the grid, Dovi isn't really a challenger despite all the hype, but maybe a seasoned JLO has a chance? New talent?

Yeah, It was good to see Rossi mix it up at the front, his blockpass on Dovi at the end was a nice touch, as for Mav... I don't know what to say other than he needs to realize points are given on Sunday not Saturday. I think I heard on BT sports commentary that the reason it doesn't perform well for him at races (aside from the horrid starts) is that the Yamaha needs to carry a ton of corner-entry speed to make the most of the package to stay competetive. So, with other racers in front, like Ducati, they just slow down at turn in, and then have the power to make it up out of the turn.

The theory made sense, but then you see Rossi actually working the lines and late braking to overtake several Ducatis (Dovi, Petrux, Miller) and its hard to justify that view. Morbedelli did help him, but it was still racecraft trying crazier lines to keep him in contention for a podium, and it worked.

Last edited:
Dude is just getting over broken ribs from the last race. You should see a much stronger Lorenzo at COTA.

I had to go look, didn't realize he had cracked a rib at Qatar.

He says injuries were not his problem, it was his lack of seat time on the bike. That is quite a problem, considering he has consistently been one of the best starters on the grid throughout his career. I hope he gets it sorted, he may be the only competition Marquez sees this year.

The theory made sense, but then you see Rossi actually working the lines and late braking to overtake several Ducatis (Dovi, Petrux, Miller) and its hard to justify that view. Morbedelli did help him, but it was still racecraft trying crazier lines to keep him in contention for a podium, and it worked.

That's the thing with Maverick. If his teammate was struggling worse than he is then you could blame the bike, but Rossi is kicking his ass come race day on a consistent basis.

Mark

Did MM race this weekend?lol
He was gone trough the all race what a pace he had.

not likely to happen
but sure would be interesting to see MM on another bike
utter domination is correct, and I suspect it's more rider than bike
no one else seems to have the Honda going like he does
would have interesting to see Cal on the second factory Honda

expect it'll take a year for J Lo to gt used to the bike
in the meantime we can expect blame to be pointed in every direction but himself

towards the end of last year it appeared Mav was in a much better place
and was testing quite well in the fall, but appears to have regressed, strange

still can't figure out how the Yamaha ineptness has lasted this long
they could buy Ducati with their petty cash fund....is the corporate will not there?
46 has not much of a chance to get #10

feel bad for Maniac...just hanging on in the series...this is his last shot?

still can't figure out how the Yamaha ineptness has lasted this long
they could buy Ducati with their petty cash fund....is the corporate will not there?
46 has not much of a chance to get #10

feel bad for Maniac...just hanging on in the series...this is his last shot?

VAG wastes more money in a day than Yamaha makes in a decade.

Maybe Pianos will start making a comeback with the millennials lol..

Reactions: J_F
expect it'll take a year for J Lo to gt used to the bike
in the meantime we can expect blame to be pointed in every direction but himself

I'm not really a Lorenzo fan, but when he says that injuries weren't the problem, that it was him and lack of seat time along with hitting the pit limiter on the start that doesn't sound much like blaming anyone but himself.

Mark

I stand corrected
had to do some reading on vag to see what you're getting at

my first guess was incorrect
but both are good at wasting money

I worked at VW during dieselgate, and this is not an understatement. But its worth reminding that Audi-Ducati didn't want to continue paying JLO's high salary up to Mugello when he didn't have a ride for 2019, so they did some belt tightening in their motorsports division, and they also pulled out of WRC despite being successful.

But then they also shifted to EV with the Pike's Peak racer (current record holder), and Porsche's Mission-E or whatever its called now.

Hmmm... Maybe this will all end with Mav back to Suzuki and Mir to Yamaha for 2020? Rins and Mav could be a good package to get them to fight with the other constuctors for race wins. I really want to see Mir on the HRC but a Yamaha could be a better fit since the Honda wrecks bodies and Mir is a tallish but pretty skinny guy, much like Rossi, who he's said he models his riding style after.

Last edited:
I am not (yet) sold on Mir. I don't think winning moto3 in and of itself shows enough to win in GP. Then again, I am working an office job so...

Alvaro is getting vocal about his WSBK domination:

Alvaro Bautista says he would only consider offers from factory teams to return to MotoGP after winning the first nine races of the new World Superbike season.

I don't think Gigi wants to seriously consider losing a domination streak over on WSBK, especially considering how long Rea had his, when they're really only ever going to be fighting for P2 at most tracks this season in MotoGP and the occasional victory. My guess is that if Petrux doesn't start delivering by Mugello, Miller will probably get the factory ride alongside Dovi for next season.

I am not (yet) sold on Mir. I don't think winning moto3 in and of itself shows enough to win in GP. Then again, I am working an office job so...

I think he's the real deal, his Moto3 dominance was just what shined the spotlight on him, he looked really good the previous season when he debuted. His Moto2 stint wasn't really a good example of what he could do, plus being partnered next to Alex at VDS with all its financial stuff didn't help.

Whereas his MotoGP debut at Losail was, he was the highest ranked rookie mixing it up with the top 5 with an underpowered bike at a Ducati circuit, and he gelled really quickly with that Suzuki where guys like Quatararo and the the rest of the rookies were well below him despite killing it in Moto2. He knew what his goals were (and they weren't Moto2) and knew the Honda 600 was being phased, so he focused on riding big bikes to train throughout last season after he secured his seat at Suzuki. That is a really mature head on those shoulders. (Personally speaking, I really dislike Moto2: its really boring, so I'm glad he didn't have to wait to win a championship before he got a ride on a works bike.)

He still needs to develop a lot more from now until he's fighting for wins, of course, but he really is my best bet for who can give Marc a challenge in the incoming years, he is also super young, too so it looks really promising. I really wouldn't mind that Mav and Mir swap, because Yamaha is not working out for Mav at all, and he may fair better back on a Suzuki, especially if they can get more power out of it this year.

Last edited:
Nice to see Nicky Hayden's #69 retired in his memory today. Watching the press conference, it seems like that number means a whole lot to the entire family...

Looking forward to the race on Sunday.

3d8cd8224b3a5d48472480479e395cf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So VR is the #2 title contender at the moment?? Didn’t really see that coming.

VR and CC fighting it out for #2!

Great race and great to see Alex Rins on the top of the podium!!!

Oh wow... I'm speechless.

Well, that will make for a good latter half of the season.

Back
Top Bottom