2003 GSXR breaks | GTAMotorcycle.com

2003 GSXR breaks

Raf_gsxr

Alright i gotta do my breaks soon. the rear break is squeaking, so might as well do the front break.
I was gonna use you tube to change my breaks and rotors, but i just wanted to ask roughly how much it would run me at a bike shop, and is it difficult to do it.
I know it is easy to do the pads, but i dont know about the rotor and specially the rear rotor.

First of all it's "Brakes". Second of all, you can pickup the phone and call a couple shops to see how much it would cost.

Third of all, is there a particular reason you want to change your rotors too? They're expensive. Changing them is pretty easy though. Just remove the back wheel then remove the rotors with a socket wrench and replace. The squealing would most likely be fixed by replacing the pads alone.

Fourth of all, when you say "do the front break", can u be more specific? Bleed them (ie. replace the "break fluid") too? Again, not a hard job to do yourself. Pads? Rotors? Replace with stainless steel braided lines?

I see , so i dont have to do the rotors. i would of thought so because when i usually change the pads on my car, i usually change the rotors too.
I guess i dont have to , and what i mean by doing the front breaks is, change the pads too, because im changing the back ones already so might as well do the front too.

First of all it's "Brakes". Second of all, you can pickup the phone and call a couple shops to see how much it would cost.

Third of all, is there a particular reason you want to change your rotors too? They're expensive. Changing them is pretty easy though. Just remove the back wheel then remove the rotors with a socket wrench and replace. The squealing would most likely be fixed by replacing the pads alone.

Fourth of all, when you say "do the front break", can u be more specific? Bleed them (ie. replace the "break fluid") too? Again, not a hard job to do yourself. Pads? Rotors? Replace with stainless steel braided lines?

Do the Pads only....no need to do Rotors unless there is something wrong with them.

Follow the Bikes shop manual or an instruction video online.

Buy some Anti Seize to coat the pins. Buy a small clamp to help push the pistons back into the caliper.

Be sure to pump the lever/handle before riding the bike and go easy on the bike for awhile.

If you can have someone who knows what they're doing come by and you observe/assist...that'd be better.

For a moment, I thought he wanted to fix his "broken" gsxr

"Brakes"

Rotors on a bike are normally stainless steel, and compared to the rotors on a car, are lightly stressed. Rotors on your average car are iron, and they undergo a LOT more wear, plus they corrode - which is why they usually get replaced as a set.

Your pads may be glazed and not necessarily need replacement - your brake pads may not even have squeal clips. First thing I'd do is try to look at the pads to see how worn they are. If you're not comfortable popping them out, you might be able to get a look with them in place.

If you let some brake pads go to long they will score the rotor and you will have to replace it.

On cars they normally turn the rotors down, but that can't be done on bike rotors.

i think they needed to be changed
n4dms.jpg

LOL....yeah those pads are done.

Hopefully running them that low hasn't damaged your rotors.

it was fairly easy to do it. couple of pins, and some bolts. NO BIGGIE

Bolts? Your caliper has a plastic cap on the bottom of the caliper, pull that off and you can get the pads out without touching any bolts...Pull the clips and pins and they slide right out the bottom

Back
Top Bottom