1995 Honda Shadow "slipping" | GTAMotorcycle.com

1995 Honda Shadow "slipping"

cbranje

Site Supporter
I have 1995 Honda Shadow.

Recently it started doing what I'm calling "slipping".

When I give it some throttle, especially on a hill, the acceleration "hesitates". It doesn't grab like it use to only weeks ago.

I though it might be gummed up carbs, but the engine sounds like the RPMS are increasing (no tach on this model).

The acceleration also comes in pulsing waves, rather than the smooth acceleration I was used to.

It only does this when I really give it gas.

Carmen

Seems like you're describing a slipping clutch.

Make sure there there is just a little bit of slack in the clutch cable when you release the clutch lever.

If that checks out ok, its likely a clutch issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Its a hydraulic clutch. Could this be due to improper fluid level?

Carmen

Seems like you're describing a slipping clutch.

Make sure there there is just a little bit of slack in the clutch cable when you release the clutch lever.

If that checks out ok, its likely a clutch issue.

Unlikely but its possible. Make sure the fluid reservoir is not over filled.

Remove the slave cylinder from the trans and check the piston for binding or sticking.

If the slave cylinder is still functioning normally I would think its an internal clutch problem.

How many km on the bike? Original clutch?

Its approaching 80,000, there's at least 50K on this clutch.

Carmen

Unlikely but its possible. Make sure the fluid reservoir is not over filled.

Remove the slave cylinder from the trans and check the piston for binding or sticking.

If the slave cylinder is still functioning normally I would think its an internal clutch problem.

How many km on the bike? Original clutch?

The springs or plates are worn.

LoL, heheh...
Clutch is toasted.

My old 1986 VF500 has around 70,000kms on it and the clutch is fine.

There's a good chance the clutch is the issue but the mileage alone doesn't prove it.

Ya, couple weeks ago.

Carmen

Was the problem therte before the oil change?

Was any different or fancy oil used? Any non-specific motorcycle oil?

Anything added to the oil? any bottles of Oil additives?

No problems before change, was on a 3 day trip on the tail of the dragon in August.

Used the same oil I always do, no additives.

Is it worth taking apart the clutch to visually inspect it? Will it be obvious if its warn?

Was the problem therte before the oil change?

Was any different or fancy oil used? Any non-specific motorcycle oil?

Anything added to the oil? any bottles of Oil additives?

No problems before change, was on a 3 day trip on the tail of the dragon in August.

Used the same oil I always do, no additives.

Is it worth taking apart the clutch to visually inspect it? Will it be obvious if its warn?

It should be. You'll see small burnt, discoloured, spots on the steel plates.

It sounds very much like you have a clutch slipping issue. Perhaps take it to a shop angst have someone rode it just to confirm.

If I am not mistaken thats the model that has a two piece clutch basket. Pay attention when pulling it apart so you get it back together right they can be PIA

That is what you need, but a lot of people like the oem parts better then barnette ones .. Changing the springs won't fix it ! . You need at least new fiber plates , I would change the metal ones as well while yr in there .

So I took the clutch cover off and the main plate looked nothing like the tutorials I've been looking at. All the youtube examples show a plate inside with 5 bolts that your take out to replace the springs, but mine had no bolts to be seen.

The service manual is worse than useless. " Remove the snap-ring, lifter plate the barring and joint piece". with no accompanying diagram. How the hell am I supposed to know what a "snap-ring" is??

Annyhoo, I decided to send it to Teds. Going to cost 100-200 more than doing it myself, but it probably worth the lack of headaches.

Thanks again for all your help folks.

Back
Top Bottom