1994 BMW R100GS Rebuild | GTAMotorcycle.com

1994 BMW R100GS Rebuild

GVH

So the Ninja 250 was a bad bet but lots of offers to buy it. On to the next roll of the dice. 1994 BMW R100GS. Listed at 58 K but no 100K option on the Odometer to who really knows. Price was worth the chance. Bit of a soft spot for the air cooled BMW. Always wanted one. Not sure if it is an old people thing or not.

The good:
Fox shock, very clean, remote sensor on fork for GPS or something, big battery option. Someone put money into the bike and probably took care of it.

Bad: Parts a bit expensive and some unuptanium.
Ignition key not included in sale and not offered at dealer "ilco SR61N" according to Inter web of lies but should ?? be same as other early aircooled BMW 1970 R60/5 steering lock. That is available from dealer. See if it fits

Winter is on the way so it may be a slow project. Also that unemployed thing and a loving but have you found a job yet better half may hinder progress. Brake bits ordered off Ebay Germany. Key blank is the pain. No one has it in stock Stupid money off the web for should be the one. $12.95 - $18.95 plus twice that shipping.

nPlIys5.gif

gF55KP5.gif

6eHH9CO.gif

Did it fall off a trailer? How did it manage to be sliding along completely upside down?

As for the key, can you just bypass the factory ignition and install your own somewhere else? That may be an easier route.

Those old Airheads are awesome. Best ergos ever. Just stay away from dealers. Parts are priced ridiculous. Best bike i ever owned was a 1984 R80RT.

I want keys for the seat, gas cap and steeringlock I have the blank now. It was the same as the R60/5. Still $12 from the dealer. Dealer may be able to order a cut key but we will see. Wants ownership in my name first. As for the damage no idea what happen but it looks like a low side became a high side.

[QUOTE="GreyGhost, post: 2636907, member: 4442

As for the key, can you just bypass the factory ignition and install your own somewhere else? That may be an easier route.
[/QUOTE]
this^ jump it right at the back ignition switch plug, if using the plug its a "no wire cuts"- place toggle switch out of view. did my goldwing on the side of the trans canada w black tape, wire, and twisted wires together for a switch. stopped later for a $4 toggle switch. used that for two seasons lol

Last edited:
My uncle in Brantford has an 89. Absolutley mint, Grandpa left it to him in the will.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Few used parts arrived from ebay Germany. Waiting on a key from BMW cut from the VIN#. The R60/5 blank does fit this bike. Need petcock rebuild kits both weeping on to motor. Hope to have the key next week.

I was bored waiting for key and looked up wiring in google. Only 4 wires from ignition. Aligator clips to cross the right ones and it cranks over.

One of the nice things about rebuilding an older bike is that virtually all of these are analog beasts and the average mechanically inclined person can refurbish these machines with time and much effort. As time progresses can we image someone in 2045 or 2050 looking at a 2019 bike with full plastic body work, abs, traction control, 4 or 5 computer module controlled ride modes, cat exhaust and electronic suspension being able to rebuild or refurbish bikes a all. I suspect this is a dying art.

Good to hear it turns over. Considering it stopped running when it magically floated upside down grinding the MC, I would bet that it runs ok with some maintenance.
I don't see any other crash damage. amazing.

I would suggest you check into getting the ownership promptly if you haven't already.
Your threads never fail to impress and entertain Mr GVH. thx for sharing. I really like this older jewel !

Ownership arrived a week after purchase. Still not really sure what the crash was like. Bent handle bars, dent in tank from handle bars, front master and mount, rash damage on engine crash guards both sides and luggage racks at back. Both vale covers have rash damage that looks fresh, oilcooler has rash on it but not leaking. Has the optional heated grips and hazard lights. It also has the yellow fairing crash bar pushed over about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. This saved all the expensive bits. I’m not looking to do a show bike. Just reliable and safe. Didn’t know a ton about these bikes and surprisingly it has the factory tubeless spoked wheels.

Selling off other bikes to help finance this one. Down from 7 to 4 one more to go. 2013 TU250X was to be the cafe project with the blue collar kit. It will be up on kijiji this weekend. Anyone want a cert but ugly extrainer bike.

Ownership arrived a week after purchase. Still not really sure what the crash was like. Bent handle bars, dent in tank from handle bars, front master and mount, rash damage on engine crash guards both sides and luggage racks at back. Both vale covers have rash damage that looks fresh, oilcooler has rash on it but not leaking. Has the optional heated grips and hazard lights. It also has the yellow fairing crash bar pushed over about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. This saved all the expensive bits. I’m not looking to do a show bike. Just reliable and safe. Didn’t know a ton about these bikes and surprisingly it has the factory tubeless spoked wheels.

Selling off other bikes to help finance this one. Down from 7 to 4 one more to go. 2013 TU250X was to be the cafe project with the blue collar kit. It will be up on kijiji this weekend. Anyone want a cert but ugly extrainer bike.
I think I didn't do a good job of studying the pics lol. sounds like the crash bars did their job well. It still looks good.

Tis but a scratch.

The engine crash bars seem to do less than I would expect. I see some on the UK sites that rap around and would protect the engine more. I will try to get more close up picks of the bike and damage. The bike has three charger style plugs on it plus the two factory plugs and a lighted switch on the dash. Need to figure out what it was all for.

Oh ya also needs one front turn signal stem. Seems to be one of the hard parts to find.

Scrap yard is your friend.
Personally I would just pull all of the crash bars and saree guards,
they have done their job and you can make the bike about 40 pounds lighter in the process ;)

I have a buddy who all hyped mwe need to make it a cafe. This will never happen to this bike. I also found the solo seat with rear carrier. Wrong colour and a bit pricey for something I don't need. I may have some of the harder to get parts from a wrecker in Germany.

If your ok with using non stock parts... you could try finding front turn signals/stems at a local bike wrecker? Study yours with a tape measure and go looking? ditto mirrors?

(y) Best way to fix and upgrade a BMW saddle is to spray the whole thing with contact cement and glue a layer of black leather right onto that old naugahyde. You will end up with a saddle that is not as slippery as vinyl and wears several times longer then the original. Amazing enough it is not a problem when it gets rained on either.

gofar.jpg

Did it to this one 30 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom