1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba" | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba"

Can't go wrong with any of those really...

Better shots of the new tires! Love the smell of fresh rubber.... :D

Scrub em in before pushing hard.

Oh for sure, a few hundred KM's of easy riding before I try anything funny. :D

Took her out for a boot today.... boy does she feel GOOOOOOOD! So smooth compared to before the top end and carb rebuild...it's like night and day, and with the new tires and bearings.... oh baby! She's a pleasure to ride, not like she wasn't before, but it's like going from a decent looking stripper to a playboy bunny, for me... anyway. lol Wonder what it'll feel like to get my R6 one day! :D

[video=youtube;_NGe8GM9vvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGe8GM9vvc[/video]

Thanks Brian! We'll have a good vintage crew out there this year! :D

Apparently I have an electrical gremlin somewhere who's eating my battery! Bike died on my while I was out today for a little ride around some country roads.... had to bump start it and just barely got it. Guess I'll start by checking the battery then all grounds...then go from there!

Check the charging system. Older Yamahas are notorious for regulator/rectifier problems. Voltage across battery terminals with the engine running should ideally be 14.something, those older regulator/rectifiers might be low to mid 13's which is still tolerable for a flooded lead-acid battery (conventional), but it should at least be higher than the voltage across the battery terminals with the key switched off.

On the FZR regulators, there is a little ground connection that is meant to be attached to one of the bolts for the regulator ... if yours is like that, make sure it's there and properly connected.

That's the plan! Got another battery in and charging up now to see if that was the issue, then once I can start it I'll check the voltage while it's running at 5000rpm, should read 14-15v according to my manual. Luckily I have some extra parts kickin around, a secondary voltage regulator and ignition controller...and even a couple stators if I need em! :D

Yeah I do have a separate ground for the regulator that used a bullet connector, didn't find any issues with the connections when doing a visual inspection however.... will see what the battery reads when the bike's running anyway!

Well everyone of the 6 or 7 old bikes I've owned has had charging issues and it usually comes down to a) corroded connectors b) weak grounds c) weak R/Rs, especially on the Suzukis. Make sure your connectors are all clean and shiney, and add another ground to your R/R directly to the negative post of the battery. I haven't experienced many problems with Yammie R/Rs but the Shindengens used on Hondas seem to be better and have a sense wire that keeps the unit from over charging. Now on my FZ the R/R is built in to the generator but I'm not sure if it is the same with yours so changing it out may or may not be possible.

As I had been stranded by failed charging systems a time or two, I always now fit voltage meter so I can see what is going on as I ride. Nothing worse than being 50 miles from home and she craps out.

I hope you get it sorted without too much trouble.

All fixed up! It was the little connector piece with the stator that had 2 prongs for rubbing on the stator rotor. Swapped it out with a good one from a parts engine and reading 14.5 volts while running now. Wooo!

Here's the crappy connector, springs were shot in it and they clearly didn't come out far enough to make good contact with the rotor.

Got my new 49t (+3) sprocket in today and had to get it installed!

Added some reflective Dunlop vinyl to the front forks.

Ooo that new sprocket, chain, tire, and powder coat looks sexy!

Just had to share this shot because it looks bad ass to me. :D Right outta mad max.

It does look good and I can't wait to see it in person. I hear you are moving to the Creek so we'll have lots of opportunity to catch up with you this season.

Now for the true Mad Max look you need to paint the frame black too like Gatekeeper's.

Thanks guys! Yup coming back to the Creek! Just renting a little townhouse for now... it's got a garage, that's all I can ask for.

Here's a little teaser from today.... :D

That first pic of the ground out sockets takes me back. I have about three different versions in a toolbox drawer made for different bikes over the years. That said I've never sacrificed a socket. I usually scrounge a suitable diameter of pipe. Also if like me you own a lath, turning an internal chamfer to fit the spring retainer helps prevent them from sliding around.

Back
Top Bottom