1978 CB550K Restomod | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1978 CB550K Restomod

So this is what I am going to use for clear coat. It is a SprayMax 2K Clear in Glamour High Gloss. As the name suggests, it is a 2 component clear, and you need to mix the hardener in to activate it. There is a red cap on top of main cap, and you use that to pop an internal membrane from the bottom of the can. This mixes the contents of two internal compartments of the can. It has a flash time of 3-7 mins between coats (temp dependent) and a pot life of 48 hrs.

I have never used this type of clear coat before, but I have heard from multiple sources that it is very high quality, and you can replicate the results of a professional paint job. I have also confirmed that after curing the clear coat is resistant to gasoline in the same way that regular automotive paint is.

blogger-image--441976968.jpg

Because the clear coat is a chemical hardening process instead of the typical rattle can method evaporative drying, I ended up getting a little more rigorous with the PPE. I bought this filter mask at the same place I bought the clear coat (NAPA in Pickering). It is a disposable filter mask (the filters are permanently attached to the face piece). When you start to smell fumes, you need to toss it. It comes in a resealable bag so that you can minimize the exposure to air when you arent using it. I also used a face shield and nitrile gloves to limit the amount of paint that gets on my skin. probably not the best system, but its good enough for the fuckers I party with.

blogger-image-16449356.jpg

One can yields 2 solid coats of the side covers and tank. Mmm, glossy.

blogger-image-1236781283.jpg

blogger-image--282616537.jpg

blogger-image--551768329.jpg

Here is the tank and side covers with 2 coats of 2K clear on it. Because the colour coat has a lot of flake in it, it was a little more rough than a typical straight colour coat. That means that the first coats of clear will be more 'orange-peely' than usual. I used 1000grit to wetsand down the 2 coats of clear to smooth it out.

blogger-image-1331484509.jpg

blogger-image-282216771.jpg

blogger-image-908198813.jpg

Here is the tank after the wetsand and right before the 3rd and 4th coats of clear go on.
blogger-image-1220478230.jpg

blogger-image--1752461547.jpg

blogger-image--1220012770.jpg

After the 3rd and 4th coats of clear.

blogger-image-730101481.jpg

blogger-image--1033686827.jpg

Not that I am worried, but it looks like this red is going to be deeper, and not quite as 'fire engine red-y' as the grips and plug wires. So, if it looks to weird with the two shades of red, I will remove the grips and maybe even the wires and go with black. I just need to be mindful of the fact that once you go black, you don't go back. ... I think I heard that somewhere, don't know if it applies here.

So, I don't know if its possible to thread-jack my own thread, but I am going to go waaaaaay off tangent here.

I ended up selling my XV500 bike (it was my primary bike) to a young guy from Newmarket. Super nice dude. Happy to see the bike go to someone who is so stoked about it.

blogger-image--789372076.jpg

He came to pick it up with a Sienna, and 3 buddies. It was a tight fit.

blogger-image--127755015.jpg

Within 24 hrs I had bought this on a handshake. It just might be the cleanest 2004 SV1000S in the world. Super nice guy up north (well up north for me) has maintained the **** outta this bike. Its immaculate. Marvel at how friggin clean it is. So clean. And so stock. I really appreciate the effort that the PO put into a) not ******* it up by doing 'mods', and b) maintaining it properly. It is a gorgeous bike, and I would say the best example of this model, given that most of these bikes have been thrashed, and its already 12 years old.

blogger-image--950887484.jpg

blogger-image-316128217.jpg

blogger-image-314582087.jpg

blogger-image--1712257202.jpg

That is going to look fantastic! I've been silently following, you're doing some great work here, looking forward to the final reveal and startup.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

you can buy it at any NAPA that has the paint store (CMax). The options for locally in toronto are Zero. The only two NAPAs in the GTA that have a paint store are in Pickering or in Brampton.

I bought them from the Pickering location. $24.99 a can. They keep the high gloss clear in stock and can oder any of the other kinds of clear (matte, or semi gloss) with 1-2 day lead time (as far as what I was told).

you can buy it at any NAPA that has the paint store (CMax). The options for locally in toronto are Zero. The only two NAPAs in the GTA that have a paint store are in Pickering or in Brampton.

I bought them from the Pickering location. $24.99 a can. They keep the high gloss clear in stock and can oder any of the other kinds of clear (matte, or semi gloss) with 1-2 day lead time (as far as what I was told).

My experience was anything in stock you can come and get, if it's not in stock or has to be custom blended, including clear coat, you have to go to the store, pay for it and come back in a day or 2 and pickup, this was at the Brampton store.....nothing gets made unless it's paid for first

yes, that is how it is at the Pickering store as well (to my knowledge anyway). for paint, they wont mix anything for you unless you pay first. however for these other clear coat types, since its a simple stock item, the guy told me he just has to order more, and its a 1-2 day lead time to get in his hands. he also said he tends to keep 10 cans of the high gloss in stock at all times.

but yeah, call first i would say.

So, I don't know if its possible to thread-jack my own thread, but I am going to go waaaaaay off tangent here.

I ended up selling my XV500 bike (it was my primary bike) to a young guy from Newmarket. Super nice dude. Happy to see the bike go to someone who is so stoked about it.

blogger-image--789372076.jpg

He came to pick it up with a Sienna, and 3 buddies. It was a tight fit.

blogger-image--127755015.jpg

Within 24 hrs I had bought this on a handshake. It just might be the cleanest 2004 SV1000S in the world. Super nice guy up north (well up north for me) has maintained the **** outta this bike. Its immaculate. Marvel at how friggin clean it is. So clean. And so stock. I really appreciate the effort that the PO put into a) not ******* it up by doing 'mods', and b) maintaining it properly. It is a gorgeous bike, and I would say the best example of this model, given that most of these bikes have been thrashed, and its already 12 years old.

blogger-image--950887484.jpg

blogger-image-316128217.jpg

blogger-image-314582087.jpg

blogger-image--1712257202.jpg

Do you still have this bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont have the virago any more. i have the sv now
Sorry, that bike started life as a Virago? Wow.
Did you do that?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Here is the finished paintwork, mounted on the bike. The 2K clearcoat looks great. This is without any buffing or polishing either.

The only thing that remains is to put all the wires into the headlight bucket, fill with gas and oil and fire it up. Then get some brake lines made to that I can do burnouts.

blogger-image--869154578.jpg

blogger-image-1343928961.jpg

blogger-image--1490155005.jpg

blogger-image--2014814249.jpg

blogger-image--256328008.jpg

blogger-image--103069661.jpg

blogger-image-570249029.jpg

blogger-image--783466251.jpg

Beautiful.........

Inspiration for me to either to a resto on mine.....or do you want another project...

Ooohhhhhh... thats a tough call. I would ruin it if I got my hands on it, so don't give it to me. I was hoping to do a CBR250R custom next. I want to strip the fairings off and make it a SuMo/dual sport that I can ride in the winter.... so this bike probably shouldnt go to me....

but you.... i completely support a resto on that. 110%. do it.

I was sick last week so it put me on my ass to the point that I did want to go in and work on it.

But I got it running last night. Starts right up too.

The carbs have been rebuild and bench-synced, but I still need to fiddle a bit, and get the idle set. Also, it seems the float valve in #2 is sticking open, so that needs to be sorted. But its all minor stuff as far as I'm concerned.

[video=youtube;hOwP3EL_qJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwP3EL_qJ4[/video]

Back
Top Bottom