1978 CB550K Restomod | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1978 CB550K Restomod

Everyone has their own taste but if it was me, I'd look at a deep Honda red.

White?

Honestly tho, one of the best resto I've see so, I'm sure the color will be great. No matter what you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perhaps it might look OK to paint the front and rear fenders, as well as the headlight bucket to the same as the other parts your doing ?

I did my Suzuki in pearl white, the same as what Mazda3 is done in, came out really nice, have a look at my blog if you want to see some pictures, there are a few nice shots of it in front of the garage door, not the same bike as yours, but just for the paint scheme......

Looking good, i think the white will look nice.

i was thinking that pearl white that you get on a cadillac DTS or something. Thats hard to show in MSPaint though.

Also, the bike will be for my wife predominantly, so its gotta be something she wants to ride.

thanks for the nice words tho.

Honestly, it looks super. White or cream or what ever you decide. It's a great looking machine.

But if you were looking to sell it.........id be interested if it was red.......lol.

Cheers!

I think the red will look super sharp. And again, completely amazed at what you have done. Things I could only imagine doing.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Funny story, my wife just asked me to paint it red. So I think its gonna be Honda Red. Maybe with some flake in it.

And if my wife doesnt want it, I will be selling it. So, if the planets align, you may get your wish.

Well I'm stoked. Some metal flake will look nice. Base of gold to make the red pop.

But if you go with white or cream, it will still look good im sure. And yes, I would be interested if your wife doesn't want to ride it.

I bought my last bike from a forum member of another board that brought his bike back from Arizona a couple of years ago.

So I'm starting on the final pieces of the bike: The tins (even though the side covers are plastic).

As the old grade-school rhyme goes, fist comes primer, then comes base coat, then comes then comes clear coat in a baby carriage. ... wait, that can't be right.

The underside of the tank is gonna be satin black.
blogger-image--734447309.jpg

blogger-image-517579110.jpg

I put primer on it last summer immediately after I stripped the tank and covers, so now all I need to do is wetsand that old primer, and re-coat.

blogger-image-19648756.jpg

blogger-image-399681118.jpg

blogger-image--1249280722.jpg

blogger-image-1672757941.jpg

blogger-image-491863934.jpg

Also, the tail light finally came, so I threw that on. Its a dual filament bulb type, just like the original, but much smaller. There is a clear part of the lens that illuminates the plate as well.

blogger-image--1639777668.jpg

blogger-image-1092138558.jpg

blogger-image-1961752276.jpg

First up, laying a few coats of white so that the red can pop a bit more than if it were just on top of the primer.

Tafetta white, which is a Honda Fit colour (because I love Hondas, and Fits).

blogger-image-744635295.jpg

blogger-image--2068864435.jpg

blogger-image--1475031520.jpg

blogger-image--1754402378.jpg

That white looks so good though right? I wish I could leave it like this.....

blogger-image--669238905.jpg

Next up, but after a wetsand of the white (1000 grit), I found some Retro Red Flake. I am really excited to try this. The flake is small, but from what I found online will really pop. I think this is a good homage to the stock flake colours that Honda put on these bikes, but also a cool way to really make it look good. Fingers crossed that it turns out well.

blogger-image-295959141.jpg

blogger-image-1802289032.jpg

Oh the humanity! That flake!

blogger-image-897725011.jpg

blogger-image--1361800183.jpg

blogger-image-371345135.jpg

The paint looks great in the light, and also not in direct light. Can't wait to see it under deep glossy clear.

blogger-image-828801394.jpg

Next up: lots and lots of clear coat. Gotta get that deep glossy red up in here.

Also note, there is now red glitter/flake EVERYWHERE after I sprayed the tins. So, make sure that everything is covered that you don't want to be red. The flake hangs in the air for several minutes after you spray, so it floats everywhere. If you shone a flashlight into the air it would highlight all the flakes. Make sure that you are wearing a good mask too, you will breathe in a lot of it otherwise. Guaranteed.

Can't wait to see it done. That red in the pics looks amazing. I bet it looks 10x better in person.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Just wondering what other suggestions I can give and magically watch it happen. Lol.

Looking great!

if you say 'supercharger' i can use that as an excuse to run it by my wife.... its what the people want....

but seriously, its so close to being done that I don't even want to mess with it any more. Im gonna wire it up, then lay the clear on this weekend, then it should be ready to fire. After that, I want to make some of those engine cover bash bars, but that is not critical to getting it running.

yeah. i grabbed some on my lunch break today. $25 a can at the Pickering location (which was easiest to get to from my work).

I got 4 cans. i expect 3 cans to do the tank and side covers with a huge thick layer of gloss, and one can for emergencies just in case.

according to the label it has a 48 hr pot life.

if you say 'supercharger' i can use that as an excuse to run it by my wife.... its what the people want....

but seriously, its so close to being done that I don't even want to mess with it any more. Im gonna wire it up, then lay the clear on this weekend, then it should be ready to fire. After that, I want to make some of those engine cover bash bars, but that is not critical to getting it running.

I bet it rips just fine stock but, can never have enough power. Lol.

Looking forward to a sound clip.

Back
Top Bottom