132km/h sunday ride busted | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

132km/h sunday ride busted

All this pearl clutching could be avoided if people just didnt speed.

Adhere to all traffic rules and bingo...!
No thickets... Then youd be able to at least start to prove that the police are just out to collect fines. (If they start conspiring to lay false charges)
The problem is that not everyone is guilty. There have been a few OPP cases where the charges were dismissd because the evidence didn't add up, and a few more for cops that were writing 172 tickets for drivers that were not in 172 territory. I know a guy that was charged, he was radared under the bridge of 407 and Woodbine, he pulled the driver over just before the Warden ramp. A cop on a Harley would have to be expert, at stowing his gear, then accelerating to the theoretical bike limit of limit of 170 to catch a speeder doing 120 in that distance, technically impossible at 160, A cop Harley and a 250lb cop just don't mobve that fast under any circumstances.

Turns out the cop is being investigated on tow truck corruption, his cases have been put off by the crown 3 times so far. The fellow lost is licence and car for a week, then paid $2000 for tow, impound and licence reinstatement. He drives for a living and hasn't had a ticket since he got his licence 12 years ago.

Now, it's likely the case will be tossed as the trial day was just rescheduled past the charter limit of 18 months. He has absolutely no recourse.

To make matters worse, the tow company doubled their rates with impunity. The City of Markham has a bylaw that requires tow operators to file their max charges for any pickup in the city, they doubled these adding $800 to the cost of a tow, and they towed to a yard 35km away instead of their local yard 4 km away. The head of the City bylaw office said their towing bylaws are not legally enforceable, all they can and will do is appeal to the tow company to do the right thing.

So, they guy should be found innocent, the cop may be found corrupt, and the driver still is out of pocket $2K.

All this pearl clutching could be avoided if people just didn't speed.

It would also be avoided if limits were set appropriately and in the best interests of the public rather than the best interest of public coffers. Speeding is the most commonly broken legislature in North America. Do you honestly think that is because everyone is a criminal or do you maybe think the limits are superficially low so fines are collected? Speed limits on highways were 70mph in the late 60's when cars were monumental heaps of siht. I don't care what people think, the cars back then were complete garbage in almost every regard compared to now. Limits now are dangerously low. 100km/h in a modern car is a lullaby. The reason people use phones in their cars is because they think they safely can. I'd like to see that same texting soccer mom pick up her phone if she was doing 160. You can be damn sure she'd be paying close attention to the road and traffic at that speed.

On highway 11 somewhere past Barrie, crested a hill 6th gear wide open throttle lying flat on the tank, and saw a cop parked on the right running radar up ahead.

I shot a glance at the speedo of the cbr125 and stayed on it, flat out in 6th past the cop ... who was probably laughing.
Yep, Grom life can relate.

It would also be avoided if limits were set appropriately and in the best interests of the public rather than the best interest of public coffers. Speeding is the most commonly broken legislature in North America. Do you honestly think that is because everyone is a criminal or do you maybe think the limits are superficially low so fines are collected? Speed limits on highways were 70mph in the late 60's when cars were monumental heaps of siht. I don't care what people think, the cars back then were complete garbage in almost every regard compared to now. Limits now are dangerously low. 100km/h in a modern car is a lullaby. The reason people use phones in their cars is because they think they safely can. I'd like to see that same texting soccer mom pick up her phone if she was doing 160. You can be damn sure she'd be paying close attention to the road and traffic at that speed.

It's not just the revenue the fines generate but It's a gravy train for the legal system and insurance companies especially

Is the grom faster or slower than the CBR or close enough that it doesn't matter? Are you getting a trailer so you can pull the grom around with the big bike?

The cbr stock has about 12 hp, the grom has about 8. The cbr has *just* enough jam to be able to go on a motorway and be close enough to staying with the flow of traffic to not be a problem (the air circulation of the other traffic adds about 10 km/h to its top speed). The grom is just short of being able to do that.

The other potential problem is stability; I've only ridden a grom as a pit bike in the paddock at the racetrack. The cbr has 17" wheels and my later model has tires of normal-ish widths. Rolling down the road it feels like any other light bike, just with no power.

On a tight gnarly road like Deals Gap, a grom with good tires on it is just about as untouchable as a motard.

It's not just the revenue the fines generate but It's a gravy train for the legal system and insurance companies especially

Revenue wouldn't be "generated" if we all stopped providing the opportunity.

It would be great if we all drove/rode like Angel's for a year.... Then we'd see the truth.

If/when governments start complaining about the lack of "revenue" generated from traffic fines... then we'll know its a scam.

On highway 11 somewhere past Barrie, crested a hill 6th gear wide open throttle lying flat on the tank, and saw a cop parked on the right running radar up ahead.

I shot a glance at the speedo of the cbr125 and stayed on it, flat out in 6th past the cop ... who was probably laughing.
I bought a CBR125 for the wife's friend a few years ago (wife was on my EX250). I rode the CBR for a week, it's not much when you hit a highway compared to the little Ninja. I could hit about 110 on the CBR, that's exactly the same as I get from my 84 SP125 enduro and a bit less than my 74 TS125 enduro.

The Ninja could Do the Ton on a good day, enough that a 250 Ninja can be comfortable on any road for any distance in Ontario. I regularly did 800+km days. I could also ride that little girl through twisties with more than half the TTSR 600 group I occasionally rode with (they would embarrass me on the straights).

Revenue wouldn't be "generated" if we all stopped providing the opportunity.

It would be great if we all drove/rode like Angel's for a year.... Then we'd see the truth.

If/when governments start complaining about the lack of "revenue" generated from traffic fines... then we'll know its a scam.
We already know its a scam. Traffic studies from around the globe has shown that the speed limit should be set at the rate for which iirc 80% of drivers feel comfortable with.
100kph limit on one of the worlds most modern highways, the 407, is nothing more than a revenue generating tool.
If they truly wanted to improve safety they could:
-ticket left lane drivers holding up traffic
-ticket all the idiots I see on a regular basis who merge onto the highway at 60-80kph
-ticket the people who constantly run red lights
-ticket people not paying attention on advanced green
-inspect and pull plates off vehicles that are unsafe
-make it harder to get a license, like in Europe. The amount of idiots I see out on the roads on a daily basis is astounding.

The first three mentioned above are FAR more dangerous than someone doing 150 on the 407, especially when noone else is around.
They piss people off and force them to make lane changes often into lanes in which traffic is moving faster.

The truth is we are so complacent here in this country that everybody turned a blind eye to a tool that gives the police the ability to convict you on the side of the road with no recourse when found not guilty. Out thousands of dollars; too bad. The tow trucks, crooked cops, storage yards must love the law. At minimum they should have to produce video evidence showing guilt.

We already know its a scam. Traffic studies from around the globe has shown that the speed limit should be set at the rate for which iirc 80% of drivers feel comfortable with.
100kph limit on one of the worlds most modern highways, the 407, is nothing more than a revenue generating tool.
If they truly wanted to improve safety they could:
-ticket left lane drivers holding up traffic
-ticket all the idiots I see on a regular basis who merge onto the highway at 60-80kph
-ticket the people who constantly run red lights
-ticket people not paying attention on advanced green
-inspect and pull plates off vehicles that are unsafe
-make it harder to get a license, like in Europe. The amount of idiots I see out on the roads on a daily basis is astounding.

The first three mentioned above are FAR more dangerous than someone doing 150 on the 407, especially when noone else is around.
They piss people off and force them to make lane changes often into lanes in which traffic is moving faster.

The truth is we are so complacent here in this country that everybody turned a blind eye to a tool that gives the police the ability to convict you on the side of the road with no recourse when found not guilty. Out thousands of dollars; too bad. The tow trucks, crooked cops, storage yards must love the law. At minimum they should have to produce video evidence showing guilt.
My friend, if you're ever in Guelph, I have a beer with your name on it.

The cbr stock has about 12 hp, the grom has about 8. The cbr has *just* enough jam to be able to go on a motorway and be close enough to staying with the flow of traffic to not be a problem (the air circulation of the other traffic adds about 10 km/h to its top speed). The grom is just short of being able to do that.

The other potential problem is stability; I've only ridden a grom as a pit bike in the paddock at the racetrack. The cbr has 17" wheels and my later model has tires of normal-ish widths. Rolling down the road it feels like any other light bike, just with no power.

On a tight gnarly road like Deals Gap, a grom with good tires on it is just about as untouchable as a motard.

Curious behind the backstory of you deciding on a 125, was it a track bike you turned street legal?
why a 125 and not a 250 or 300 if you like small bikes?

125 can be ridden to the limit of its capability all the time everywhere except school zones. All acceleration is at wide-open throttle. All longer straightaways that aren't within town are a challenge to see how fast you can go. And all this is with no one else knowing. Nothing bigger can be ridden like that.

125 can be ridden to the limit of its capability all the time everywhere except school zones. All acceleration is at wide-open throttle. All longer straightaways that aren't within town are a challenge to see how fast you can go. And all this is with no one else knowing. Nothing bigger can be ridden like that.
Do you need throttle modulation on the 125 or could a button suffice (for everywhere except school zones).

Curious behind the backstory of you deciding on a 125, was it a track bike you turned street legal?
why a 125 and not a 250 or 300 if you like small bikes?
Likely the same reason people love Groms.

Light, cheap to run and insure and you can wring it's neck and not light your DL on fire.

Throttle modulation is only necessary when riding in town, or in traffic. It's still faster than most car drivers drive ... not necessarily faster than their car, but faster than the way they drive it ...

Back
Top Bottom