120v welders | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

120v welders

I did a 6 night community night course a few years ago at the local high school, we met one a week. After week one, we mostly welded practice lines then pubs. After week 4 it was pubs first, then welding.

I can weld body metal as well as anyone I’ve met at a body shop, weld anything on a bike, and cut with a plasma torch like a chef.

it’s not rocket science.
Ours was for an obscure skill that was still listed on the union's books.
Welding ceiling rods onto the deck.
Never did it or saw anyone else do it.
If you messed up a ceiling could collapse on the occupants.

I think a lot of places are already wired for 200 to the meter box. My place was built in the 60s, it had 3/0 to the meter box then 2/0 from meter to panel. When I upgraded the panel I went to 200A by changing the meter to panel wire to 3/0.

When I built my garage I went 6gauge to a 60amp pony panel in the garage.

you would be surprised how many houses have only 125amp rated wire from transformer to meter base.

With the influx of electric car chargers and hot tubs (covid) many ppl are seeking to upgrade their house service to 200amp.

Hamilton mountain, lots of houses are fed with only 125amp line. I'm certain other municipalities are no different.

I have 2 customers so far this year that took the plunge and had Hydro directional bore a new 200amp line from street transformer to meter base. The average cost of this was around 12 to 15 thousand dollars plus my costs for the service upgrade and they actually went for it!

**** if any body is considering upgrading their 100amp service, and you have an underground service, call Hydro to verify that your service can handle it. They will send a tech out to verify the wire size at the meter base at no charge.

Very briefly I worked in a now defunct plant that manufactured "open web steel joist" , which are those angle iron and round rod zip zag metal things you see holding up the roof in industrial buildings and open ceiling stores.
You earned an in house welding ticket by making a weld the plant production manager cut in half with a bandsaw.

As the joist would go down the line you welded on side, guy across and down from you welded the other side, just before lunch or coffee you would pull out your foam earplugs and stick them in his side to weld, arc would hit them and they would explode in a mini ball of flame, funny **** at the time.

We built all the joists in the Sq One shopping mall, I've never shopped inside the building

you would be surprised how many houses have only 125amp rated wire from transformer to meter base.

With the influx of electric car chargers and hot tubs (covid) many ppl are seeking to upgrade their house service to 200amp.

Hamilton mountain, lots of houses are fed with only 125amp line. I'm certain other municipalities are no different.

I have 2 customers so far this year that took the plunge and had Hydro directional bore a new 200amp line from street transformer to meter base. The average cost of this was around 12 to 15 thousand dollars plus my costs for the service upgrade and they actually went for it!

**** if any body is considering upgrading their 100amp service, and you have an underground service, call Hydro to verify that your service can handle it. They will send a tech out to verify the wire size at the meter base at no charge.

A cousin had a house in Rochester NY that had a 30 amp 120 volt service. One fuse did the lights and the other the receptacles. The stove and drier were gas. The furnace was gas with convection distribution, no blower motor.

The "Service Panel" was a drier disconnect by the kitchen table. Nearby was a large box of 15 amp fuses.

It was a four bedroom 1 1/2 story. No kids but they entertained a lot.

Very briefly I worked in a now defunct plant that manufactured "open web steel joist" , which are those angle iron and round rod zip zag metal things you see holding up the roof in industrial buildings and open ceiling stores.
You earned an in house welding ticket by making a weld the plant production manager cut in half with a bandsaw.

As the joist would go down the line you welded on side, guy across and down from you welded the other side, just before lunch or coffee you would pull out your foam earplugs and stick them in his side to weld, arc would hit them and they would explode in a mini ball of flame, funny **** at the time.

We built all the joists in the Sq One shopping mall, I've never shopped inside the building

I think it was Square One that called us regarding snow melting the roof. They wanted to cut a hole for some theme park proposal and that would reduce the load carrying capacity of the roof. Snow melting would compensate.

Since power outages often occur during heavy snow storms I asked them if they were planning to put the massive snow melting load on their emergency generator system. I never heard back.

I’ve got this 220V AC welder here. What’s a good resource to learn and pick up scrap steel for practice?
Was hoping to do those HS evening courses but with COVID I haven’t bothered wanting to go into a class if they’re even open.

My uncle Derrick is a retired welder and spent his whole career at Bombardier in Downsview on Garratt Blvd there. I guess that is unusual in itself as not many people have jobs for life any more, especially not with Bombardier.

When I started welding he said he could definitely show me what to do but he couldn't teach me how to weld. He is an old school union guy and his view is that you have to learn how to weld, no one can teach you, and that's only through laying miles and miles of it.

I remember him saying that on a scale of 0-10, everyone starts off at a 0. After a 4 year apprentice ship someone may get to be a 5 and after another 5-10 years they may get to be an 8. Only very few get to be a 10 and their welds should be hanging as wall art... :)

He always described himself as a 8 even after 40 years... LOL

On Royal Windsor Dr?

I’ve got this 220V AC welder here. What’s a good resource to learn and pick up scrap steel for practice?
Was hoping to do those HS evening courses but with COVID I haven’t bothered wanting to go into a class if they’re even open.

Go for an early morning walk on garbage day. Take the empty stroller.

Less sarcastic, Metal Supermarkets and other similar outfits sell off cuts relatively cheap.

IIRC the welder is a decent sized Lincoln and will do just about anything. Just burning away rods is needed for practice but gets boring. It's more fun to make something even if it looks like crap. Custom brackets to hang all the garage junk is a nice start.

My uncle Derrick is a retired welder and spent his whole career at Bombardier in Downsview on Garratt Blvd there. I guess that is unusual in itself as not many people have jobs for life any more, especially not with Bombardier.

When I started welding he said he could definitely show me what to do but he couldn't teach me how to weld. He is an old school union guy and his view is that you have to learn how to weld, no one can teach you, and that's only through laying miles and miles of it.

I remember him saying that on a scale of 0-10, everyone starts off at a 0. After a 4 year apprentice ship someone may get to be a 5 and after another 5-10 years they may get to be an 8. Only very few get to be a 10 and their welds should be hanging as wall art... :)

He always described himself as a 8 even after 40 years... LOL
How good do you have to be?

When there is the potential of injury one doesn't fool around with iffy welds. Aircraft welds are in that category with other transportation uses close behind. Remember the early Goldwing 1800's with cracked frames?

Laying a nice bead is great but there are other things to consider. Weld up a nice 90° bracket out of precisely cut steel tubing and it comes out at 85° because you didn't allow for the welds pulling.

What's more important, strength or looks?

Metallurgy with some alloys is a big item.

Another point to consider, do see yourself needing to transport the welder to use somewhere other than your home?

The decent 120v units (Lincoln, Hobart, Miller...) are pretty heavy but they can be tossed in the trunk of your car, being 120v powered they can be used pretty much anywhere, FCAW no need for the bottle. I have taken advantage of this many times to help out friends.... A 240v only machine can still be transported in a larger vehicle (it is much bigger) but the power would have been a no-go. The dual voltage ones could have been used this way.

How good do you have to be?

When there is the potential of injury one doesn't fool around with iffy welds. Aircraft welds are in that category with other transportation uses close behind. Remember the early Goldwing 1800's with cracked frames?

Laying a nice bead is great but there are other things to consider. Weld up a nice 90° bracket out of precisely cut steel tubing and it comes out at 85° because you didn't allow for the welds pulling.

What's more important, strength or looks?

Metallurgy with some alloys is a big item.
Agreed, and I think that was his point. It’s not something you are going to learn in a day, or even a month.

Even after 40 years they would still cut samples of his welds for Quality Control.

A friends shop in Elmira.
JTW92NL.jpg

ynYOgn4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom