1199 Panigale sight unseen? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1199 Panigale sight unseen?

I was surprised how compact the 1199 felt to me. I am only 5'10" and it just felt very small to me. Not a bad thing in my book, but some much bigger guys, I don't know ....

I t was a great thing to look at ... all the adjustments on the rear shock linkage etc. Very nice. The wires coming out of the front fork caps is a thing to get used to ... LOL But I guess this is where bikes are heading now ... :-( I get it on something like Multistrada, but not on a sport bike of this sort with 195 on the tap.

What stood out for me was how narrow the front end is when sitting on the bike. I agree that the entire bike is very compact. I was a little skeptical about the looks based on some of the early spy shots but I have to say that the bike looks awesome with lots of impressive tech on it too. If I had the disposable income I'd get one.

I saw it at the show Sat and didn't like it at all. performance and Tech aside.... I think it looks horrible with the shock on the outside and the maze of exhaust pipes jammed into it. the rear swingarm looks overdone as well... i understand why... I just don't understand why.

Personal opinion and based on looks only but I had a hard time finding an angle it looked good from.

the "new" BMW looks like the same hidious "old" BMW so it's out as well...

This spring is going to be about what RSV4 I get, I guess as I just sold my 1098...

You won't be disappointed with the RSV4. It's beastly.

For a $25K+ superbike, I gotta say that the cheap plastic mirrors are sadly out of place, looked like an after thought and left overs from the parts bin.

This spring is going to be about what RSV4 I get...

look into what the maintenance service on that bike will cost you, before buying....its off my list now!!!!

I saw it at the show Sat and didn't like it at all. performance and Tech aside.... I think it looks horrible with the shock on the outside and the maze of exhaust pipes jammed into it. the rear swingarm looks overdone as well... i understand why... I just don't understand why.

Personal opinion and based on looks only but I had a hard time finding an angle it looked good from.

the "new" BMW looks like the same hidious "old" BMW so it's out as well...

This spring is going to be about what RSV4 I get, I guess as I just sold my 1098...

Why did you sell the 1098 not happy with it?

Uhm... Aprilia maintenance schedules and parts costs are usually less than just about anyone. My Aprilia parts have been cheaper than Suzuki's for chrissakes. $40 for OEM signal light, bulb and cover... IIRC it was $160 for something similar from Honda. My buddy's RSV4 required first service at 1000 (like anyone else's bike) and another at 10,000. Then they suggest one service checkup every 10,000 to do things like check the head bearings are properly greased, etc. This is bad?

I am curious what information GSXMAER has regarding servicing costs for the Panigale. For those that aren't aware since 2007 Ducati service costs should have decreased by 50% and the maintenance interval increased by 25%. Fast forward to 2012 I doubt the Panigale has taken a step back. This article may interest those not in the know. I know GPBikes have been pretty good at following the guidelines set out by DNA but I doubt anyone knows the servicing cost estimates for the Panigale yet. If this is a make it or break it I would suggest potential customers contact DNA directly and not listen to hearsay... just my 2 cents.

http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=30661

He was quoting a post on the RSV4 so I expect he was referencing the RSV4 with regards to maintenance.

I am curious what information GSXMAER has regarding servicing costs for the Panigale. For those that aren't aware since 2007 Ducati service costs should have decreased by 50% and the maintenance interval increased by 25%. Fast forward to 2012 I doubt the Panigale has taken a step back. This article may interest those not in the know. I know GPBikes have been pretty good at following the guidelines set out by DNA but I doubt anyone knows the servicing cost estimates for the Panigale yet. If this is a make it or break it I would suggest potential customers contact DNA directly and not listen to hearsay... just my 2 cents.

http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=30661

Why did you sell the 1098 not happy with it?

I got an offer well over what I could have got for it.

As for the cost's involved, im not too worried if one is a bit higher than the other or more frequent. Part of playing is paying :)

Performance wise though on the street your not going to notice a hugh difference between the 1198 and the 1199 up to 8000rpm IMHO. I can't wait to see how the handling characteristic have changed though.[/QUOTE]

Yes the maximum torque comes in now at 9000rpm as opposed to the 1098/1198's 7000. I believe for many riders used to that low end Ducati 'grunt' this may be noticeable, but we'll see.
Got to the show on Friday right at 10:00am and there was only one other guy taking in the machine. We had a good opportunity to give it the once over as things were fairly quiet.
Don't know as I'll be parting with the 1198, but it's still early days...

Chris Mcdermott (tech at Ducati TO) pointed out that the base model has an all aluminum front end.Anybody have any insight on this?

Your joking right you look perfect on it to me? The ergonomics looks great with you on it or are you joking? Your an inch or so taller than me and it felt great in my books.

It felt very compact to me, reminded me of my r6 I had and sold after my first season because my back would hurt from being so crammed on a compact bike. The position is definitely more upright than I'm used to as well, which tends to emphasize the height of the rider.

Keep in mind, everything looks more proportional without gear. Throw on a helmet, jacket and size 11 boots, and I'm pretty confident I'll dwarf the thing. I'm used to my 04 gsxr 1000 which is a tank by comparison. Personally I like the feeling of a bigger bike, as I'm not racing I'm not worried about having the smallest, lightest bike. By comparison to the new cbr and gsxr, the 1199 did look quite smaller (with the tiny tail section adding to the effect). The ducati tech guy even said the jap liter bikes are tanks by comparison (when referring to the more compact size of the 1199)

I was looking to buy now, only I may now consider waiting a year to buy if I'm sold on it after a demo ride.

Absolute get what you are saying. I am long in the Torso but fairly short in the legs, 34" inseam. I prefer when my back is completely straight and I am tilted forward with more weight over the front wheel. It's hard to tell just by sitting on it at the show if my back was straight or not and whether I was hunched over it or not. Its a fine line between having too much weight on your wrists and sitting up too upright.

Looking at your picture it looks like you have long arms like me and your back is slightly bent so I can see that may not be ideal for you only a test ride will tell.

It felt very compact to me, reminded me of my r6 I had and sold after my first season because my back would hurt from being so crammed on a compact bike. The position is definitely more upright than I'm used to as well, which tends to emphasize the height of the rider.

Keep in mind, everything looks more proportional without gear. Throw on a helmet, jacket and size 11 boots, and I'm pretty confident I'll dwarf the thing. I'm used to my 04 gsxr 1000 which is a tank by comparison. Personally I like the feeling of a bigger bike, as I'm not racing I'm not worried about having the smallest, lightest bike. By comparison to the new cbr and gsxr, the 1199 did look quite smaller (with the tiny tail section adding to the effect). The ducati tech guy even said the jap liter bikes are tanks by comparison (when referring to the more compact size of the 1199)

I was looking to buy now, only I may now consider waiting a year to buy if I'm sold on it after a demo ride.

Last edited:
Chris Mcdermott (tech at Ducati TO) pointed out that the base model has an all aluminum front end.Anybody have any insight on this?

That's a strange criptic comment by Chris? The only difference between the base and the S that I know about are the front forks, rear shock, wheels, non-LED lights, non-electronic suspension. I don't think i have missed anything. All models use the same frameless alluminum airbox/headstock so I sniff rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom