1199 Panigale sight unseen? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1199 Panigale sight unseen?

On a sidenote, the MVs looked dated and unimpressive up close. Crappy and highly visible exhaust welds, mediocre fitting bodywork, etc. And theyre chunky and uncomfortable too.

+1 As much as Royal were talkin the "60 in Canada" line up and down, and as much as I have always seen MV Agustas as unattainable, it almost saddened me to see it attainable after all the cost cutting they did to it. And in the end, it almost insults me to think they created these entry price points due to the lesson they learned from the recession and the Harley catastrophy rather than genuinely allowing the general public to own an MV. I always admired the Ducati Monster Dark or any of their Dark versions where they were honest about their (Dark) entry level price point. It never took away from their prestige, but it allowed anyone to share in all things Ducati. They were honest about chopping off a rotor, paint job, flash bits here and there. It was what it was. But this F3 looks like it is pretending somehow. On the other hand the 1199S gives the most bang for the buck of any Ducati top of the range! The once expected substantial price hike from the 1198 never materialized and they kept the bike at a reasonable price point (all things considered) and jamb packed it with goodies. Again unlike the F4 range sitting in the high $30k's (with the exception of the $19k flimsy "help save the company" F4). I could be overstating it but MV looks like they came back to the common man cap in hand. That being said it still looks like a great bike in the company that it now keeps...the average Japanese 600R.

And in agreement, I'm actually surprised about how crude the "revised" exhaust looks (F4), with exactly what you mentioned, the bare welds and so on. And they didn't let us get a leg over it (F3) ?!?!?! A come on...that was a bit much.

Ducati played the game better at the show, that's for certain.

Last edited:
Yep I also agree, MV looked the most dated by far compared to the Aprillia and Ducati. The curves on that bike look like they did 8 years ago.

The 1199 looks really impressive. The MV's ... not so much. Anyone who has put a deposit down on the 1199 shouldn't have any regrets. Awesome.

I had the pleasure of seeing one at the bike show last night and boy is that bike fantastic, hands down the best looking supersport out there on the market. I can't even imagine how aggressive and awesome that thing is when you fire it up and go for a spin. At $20 000 base model, it's a steal.
When I saw it's pictures earlier, I wasn't impressed, but after seeing it in person, Ducati nailed it with this one, nicest bike at the show.

When Ducati introduced the 1098,everyone said it was light years ahead of the 999.The Panigale is that and a lot more.(i was told by a Ducati tech today that the motor puts down 98 ft/lb of torque.Holy ****!)
mtcc2011002.jpg

Whether or not Rossi likes this fact, but what I truly find awesome and purist, is that your are literally riding an engine with a seat and wheels bolted to it! It isn't like a true to form bicycle, with a frame and an engine added later as the bicycle evolved into a (motor)bicycle. This is rather just an awesome engine with everything bolted to it, including the rider!

It reminds me of this.....
http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/477763-4/mospeadaley39.jpg
<a href="http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/477763-4/mospeadaley39.jpg" target="_blank">[video=youtube;-aHgojQxoJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHgojQxoJg[/video]

Last edited:
When Ducati introduced the 1098,everyone said it was light years ahead of the 999.The Panigale is that and a lot more.(i was told by a Ducati tech today that the motor puts down 98 ft/lb of torque.Holy ****!)
mtcc2011002.jpg

I don't believe the 1098 was ever marketed as being lights years ahead of it's predecessor the 999, I think it was actually the complete opposite, it was designed to appease the traditionalists with a few refinements added who missed the 916, 996, 998 classic design, I was among them. there is nothing on my 1198 that was technically advance compared to my 998. Yes they introduced a digital dash, DDA, DDT etc but hardly light years ahead. The 999 was just ahead of it's time but flat when it came to its design. THE 1098 was a safe bike to get Ducati back to where it needed to be period. the 1199 was pure creative genius and is what the 999 never was but was meant to be.

The 1199 however is the first true all new Ducati since the 916. This thing is something else, you don't even miss the Trellis frame with how they have designed it, the single sided swinging arm remains and all the technology they have packed into this thing will make it a better road and track bike.

Performance wise though on the street your not going to notice a hugh difference between the 1198 and the 1199 up to 8000rpm IMHO. I can't wait to see how the handling characteristic have changed though.

So much for that, was going to buy one but I make it look like a toy. Can't justify spending 25K out the door.
For other taller riders wondering how it looks, I'm 6'3" for your reference.

1199.jpg

Your joking right you look perfect on it to me? The ergonomics looks great with you on it or are you joking? Your an inch or so taller than me and it felt great in my books.

Do you have any more pics from the show? My dad took a few, but they didn't come out that great.

So, you buying one Simon?

Eventually, I'm trying to hold back on making an impulsive decision. I've invested a lot in my 1198 and I just had a major service, I may wait until 2014. I will test ride it in April and decide then. definitely want the S though as the additions make it the best option I think.

mtcc2011002.jpg

By the way Rick the 1198 has pretty much the same Torque just as a FYI. What I like is the chain and gear driven cams and all the other technology that has gone into the heart of this bike.

Yes your'e right Simon.I just remember all the hype in the bunch i surround myself with at the DOCC events.It was mostly talk about the peak power and the monoblok brakes.
And yes,Krimesf4i looks perfect for it.Yah the torque is pretty close.You just don't expect that much torque from a way oversquare motor.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has made mention of the exhaust routing on the 1199.....I found it somewhat intriguing, but I imagine effective.

Noone seems to have mentioned this, but your junk is going to sit only inches away from that rear cylinder head. That is going to be one sweaty uncomfortable ride once its warmed up. Still drop dead sexy to me though!!

Noone seems to have mentioned this, but your junk is going to sit only inches away from that rear cylinder head.

It's no different than any other Ducati and most twins.

Yes your'e right Simon.I just remember all the hype in the bunch i surround myself with at the DOCC events.It was mostly talk about the peak power and the monoblok brakes.
And yes,Krimesf4i looks perfect for it.Yah the torque is pretty close.You just don't expect that much torque from a way oversquare motor.

So true although I haven't seen the torque curve... I think maximum torque is much higher in the revs but I am guessing there mate.

Back
Top Bottom