***Your Thoughts.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

***Your Thoughts....

neosis

Stopped in the check out the 2016 Panigale 959 yesterday and at the same time a 2013 898. The 2016 seems to have changed up a few things, namely the rear suspension design has changed (swing arm/shock and spring position). It would be great to get an educated ldea why they have decided to switch it up, do you feel it takes away from the original look and feel of the bike as well most importantly performance. What have been some known issues you guys may have heard with this new bike/design.

Lots of articles but none that were non biased.

Thanks in Advanced.!

I think they just switch it up mainly for design reasons.

The 916/996/998 went from a single-sided swingarm to a double-sided for the 999. They said double was stronger. Everyone hated the looks, and Ducati went back to SSSA for the 1098 onwards.

At the Superbike level, mere mortals aren't going to feel or be able to exploit a lot of these model-to-model changes. I couldn't tell the difference between a SSSA and double, even on the track. I'd just get the one that looks good to you.

Unless you are steps away from a pro Superbike or MotoGP career you will probably never reach anything close to the limits of either bike or be able to feel the difference in the performance either on the track or especially on the street. If this is the kind of bike you are interested and either is in your price range, then the best thing to do is figure out which one gives you a bigger boner, then sign on the dotted line.

Thanks for the replies, certainly create a different look for the Ducati with the Duo Sided Swing arm, l suppose one of the unique pieces for me was that Single Sided Swing arm. As for performance, well l can say that l am certainly not a top rated pro nor will l be. I suppose my thought was if there were noticeable differences or issues with this design change for Ducati that's all. At the end of the day, l imagine it all comes down the comfort, ride-ability, and style regarding the changes made.

One thing l seem to be hung up on is the position of that shock, always liked how both sides were uniform and clean.

In 2013 it was the 899 there's no such thing as the 898. I've got a 2016 959, the shock and mounting position as well as the swingarm is the exact same as the 2013 899. I think what you're referring to is the 2012 848 evo.

Last edited:
I think the 959 is really a redo of the long gone Supersport.

The remake of the SuperSport launches this year.

2017-ducati-supersport-2.jpg

Looks ok.But of course the exhaust is crap and that black chunk of plastic looks tacked on.Sometimes i miss my old SS.

I was wondering what kind of bike you had so I could point you in the right direction.
Then you said that it all comes down to the comfort, ride-ability, and style regarding the changes made.
That's when I knew that a Ducati is not for you.

If and when I ever want to buy a Ducati. Which I don't ever see happening, Comfort will never be a consideration, If the bike happens to be a bit comfortable, so be it.

If ridden a few Ducati's and comfort was lacking, and I didn't care a bit.

Thanks for the replies, certainly create a different look for the Ducati with the Duo Sided Swing arm, l suppose one of the unique pieces for me was that Single Sided Swing arm. As for performance, well l can say that l am certainly not a top rated pro nor will l be. I suppose my thought was if there were noticeable differences or issues with this design change for Ducati that's all. At the end of the day, l imagine it all comes down the comfort, ride-ability, and style regarding the changes made.

One thing l seem to be hung up on is the position of that shock, always liked how both sides were uniform and clean.

I was wondering what kind of bike you had so I could point you in the right direction.
Then you said that it all comes down to the comfort, ride-ability, and style regarding the changes made.
That's when I knew that a Ducati is not for you.

If and when I ever want to buy a Ducati. Which I don't ever see happening, Comfort will never be a consideration, If the bike happens to be a bit comfortable, so be it.

If ridden a few Ducati's and comfort was lacking, and I didn't care a bit.

Is this a serious post? Ducati makes more than one bike you know that right?

The Monsters, old Streetfighter, Hypertard, Multistrada etc etc all comfortable bikes.

Looks ok.But of course the exhaust is crap and that black chunk of plastic looks tacked on.Sometimes i miss my old SS.
black plastic wont be on production bikes, exhaust and panniers will be available from ducati...

C4nIjXlWEAENR8o.jpg

I'm hoping to buy a different bike in the next few years and retire my RC8r into a show piece in my garage/living space etc.
I was only considering the Ducati Diavel, KTM SuperDuke and Aprilia Tuono 1100, but this has now entered the fray.

Probably going to come down to final purchase price and what's available at the time.

THis is a serious post of course and with the said l also understand that Super Sport bikes are not comfy like a cadillac as well l am aware there is many different models available. I was namely talking about the Single Swing arm versions versus the new versions. My last bike was a CBR 600 rr, the Ducati is something l have been thinking about for quite some time, it is nice to hear a little unbiased thoughts from people who own Ducati's or have rode them. Thoughts, feed back, etc...

For sake of argument l would be interested in feed back regarding the suspension and or perhaps any other note worthy thoughts between the 848 and the 959.

(Stating the obvious of course, the engine displacement is a little bigger on the 959)

Thanks again for any feed back

For sake of argument l would be interested in feed back regarding the suspension and or perhaps any other note worthy thoughts between the 848 and the 959.

(Stating the obvious of course, the engine displacement is a little bigger on the 959)

Thanks again for any feed back

I think you're mistaken as to what the 848 is...

this is the 848, there's A LOT of noteworthy differences between the 2

images

These are the 899/959 with some of the cosmetic differences highlighted other than that and the obvious engine differences the 959 has a slipper clutch, the swingarm is mounted 4mm lower and the headers have been made larger to match the 1199/1299 , that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

attachment.php

Thank you for all the feed back, lots to look over.!

The remake of the SuperSport launches this year.

They have this at this weekend's show and I gotta say sitting on it the most immediately surprising thing was that it seemed very comfortable. They're also taking signups for test rides this summer of all the new stuff

Back
Top Bottom