Young Riders (16-24yo) -- What are you paying for insurance? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Young Riders (16-24yo) -- What are you paying for insurance?

First time I've heard that...

Me too. A few insurance companies have said having insurance history for x amount of years do give you star ratings etc.
Matter of fact, a broker from wawanesa said this to me and a few others didn. word for word.
I guess there will always be crooks out there

Me too. A few insurance companies have said having insurance history for x amount of years do give you star ratings etc.
Matter of fact, a broker from wawanesa said this to me and a few others didn. word for word.
I guess there will always be crooks out there

I think they can sort of get around it with 'loyalty' discounts, but only if you've been with 1 company for x number of years.

and only if your getting a quote from the company your currently insured with. no one gives you a discount for being loyal to some one else for a decade let alone one year. Why take money from there pocket because you put money in some one elses for years?

OPERATOR:
Operator Age: 21
Years Licensed on Motorcycle: 3
Number of Claims in last 6 Years: 0
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years: 0
First 3 Characters of Postal Code: N2N

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike: 2009
Make of Bike: Kawasaki
Model of Bike: Ninja
Displacement (CC): 250cc

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): Security National
Did you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)? Y
Did you purchase Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) coverage (Y/N)? Y
Annual Premium: 943

OPERATOR:
Operator Age:22
Years Licensed on Motorcycle:2
Number of Claims in last 6 Years:0
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years:1

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike: 2013
Make of Bike: Suzuki
Model of Bike: SV650SA
Displacement (CC): 650

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): Aviva
Did you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)? N
Annual Premium: $2600 :(

Last edited:
insurance history cannot be used to dictate a current rate, unless that history is accidents or claims. Simply being or not being insured previously is not allowed to be used to determine rates.....

It actually does. I thought this was the case and cancelled my insurance at the 11 month mark. I was told by the 3 other companies I called after being told otherwise by SF that they could have offered me lower rates had I passed the 12 month mark continuous.

It actually does. I thought this was the case and cancelled my insurance at the 11 month mark. I was told by the 3 other companies I called after being told otherwise by SF that they could have offered me lower rates had I passed the 12 month mark continuous.

Report them, and more importantly, tell them you'll report them unless they explain themselves. Quote the specific law too, I think I posted it somewhere in this thread. Make sure they know that you cancelled voluntarily, and it was not due to non-payment or the result of a conviction.

OPERATOR:
Operator Age: 24
Years Licensed on Motorcycle: 4
Number of Claims in last 6 Years: 1 (not at fault)
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years: 0
First 3 Characters of Postal Code: M2M

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike: 2009
Make of Bike: Kawasaki
Model of Bike: ZX6R
Displacement (CC): 600

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): Statefarm
Annual Premium: $2700

A bit out of date, but as of 2 years ago

OPERATOR:
Operator Age: 19
Years Licensed on Motorcycle:3
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years:0
First 3 Characters of Postal Code:K9J

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike:2004
Make of Bike:Honda
Model of Bike:CB600F
Displacement (CC):599

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): Jevco
Did you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)?N
Did you purchase Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) coverage (Y/N)?N
Annual Premium:2,700

Operator Age:23
Years Licensed on Motorcycle:3
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years:0
First 3 Characters of Postal Code:L1M

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike:2002
Make of Bike:Yamaha
Model of Bike:YZF-R6
Displacement (CC):600

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): State Farm
Did you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)? Yes
Did you purchase Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) coverage (Y/N)? Yes
Annual Premium: $3600.00

$300 a month... Insurance screws you in the butt with no lube for SS bikes!

Operator Age:24Years Licensed on Motorcycle:1.5Number of Claims in last 6 Years:0Number of Convictions in last 3 Years:3First 3 Characters of Postal Code:K0MMOTORCYCLE:Year of Bike:2009Make of Bike:HondaModel of Bike: CBR600RRDisplacement (CC):600PREMIUM:Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): State FarmDid you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)? YesDid you purchase Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) coverage (Y/N)? YesAnnual Premium: $3000.00 (2014-2015 renewal) 3600 (2013-2014)I can't believe the one guy is paying 7500 - I will be on a 1000 in a couple years too just seems like a lot to throw away.

Operator Age:24Years Licensed on Motorcycle:1.5Number of Claims in last 6 Years:0Number of Convictions in last 3 Years:3First 3 Characters of Postal Code:K0MMOTORCYCLE:Year of Bike:2009Make of Bike:HondaModel of Bike: CBR600RRDisplacement (CC):600PREMIUM:Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): State FarmDid you purchase Collision coverage (Y/N)? YesDid you purchase Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) coverage (Y/N)? YesAnnual Premium: $3000.00 (2014-2015 renewal) 3600 (2013-2014)I can't believe the one guy is paying 7500 - I will be on a 1000 in a couple years too just seems like a lot to throw away.

$3000 is a lot to throw away too. Did you know people get ****** off when their premiums are like $500 in the USA? Sigh, why do I live in Ontario?

Report them, and more importantly, tell them you'll report them unless they explain themselves. Quote the specific law too, I think I posted it somewhere in this thread. Make sure they know that you cancelled voluntarily, and it was not due to non-payment or the result of a conviction.
Kinda post the exact law on here along with the law elink (if you can). Otherwise youre lying

$3000 is a lot to throw away too. Did you know people get ****** off when their premiums are like $500 in the USA? Sigh, why do I live in Ontario?
Oh I know don't get me wrong it is. I guess I am comparing the usability of the two bikes on the street - both can't use the full potential (or aren't supposed to anyways ) so the extra 4500 right now I couldn't justify. But it's their money not mine so more power to them

Kinda post the exact law on here along with the law elink (if you can). Otherwise youre lying

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Pages/a-06_97.aspx

Its location in the insurance act: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900664_e.htm#BK12

The bulletin provides context for application of the law, so while not directly stated, the implications, and examples, indicate that continuous insurance, and even overall length of insurance, can't be used.

Last edited:
Therein, lies the problem it does not specifically prohibit it, the wording is at best vague and therefore, if a corporation can use a legal "loophole" they can and do all the time. I agree the wording "suggests" that they shouldn't, but fails to put it into force. This is a "guideline" not a legal requirement. I am sure if someone challenged a broker or agent on it they would tell you it is not prohibited under the act. You can bet the insurance companies have had their lawyers look at every minute detail of the act to see what "legal work arounds" there are, and this looks like it is one of those.

remember the agent/broker merely types the answers to the questions they are told by their company are required they didn't write the policies nor the algorithms used to calculate the premiums. The system won't allow them to "override" this in the quotation process. So your chances of getting a lower premium even if one challenged them is likely non existent.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Pages/a-06_97.aspx

Its location in the insurance act: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900664_e.htm#BK12

The bulletin provides context for application of the law, so while not directly stated, the implications, and examples, indicate that continuous insurance, and even overall length of insurance, can't be used.

OPERATOR:
Years Licensed on Motorcycle: couple months
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years: 0 at the time, 2 speeding tickets now (was driving a car)

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike: 2007
Make of Bike: Honda
Model of Bike: CBR125R
Displacement (CC): 125
3,000km on odometer

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): TDMM (Toronto-Dominion Meloche Monnex)
Annual Premium: last year $617/year (this year $860)

Similar to this, I was given a quote for 05 YZF-R6 for $1700/year through the cheapest State Farm agent I could find. Not sure what it will be this year but probably significantly more to deter me from buying a 600cc motorcycle.

Therein, lies the problem it does not specifically prohibit it, the wording is at best vague and therefore, if a corporation can use a legal "loophole" they can and do all the time. I agree the wording "suggests" that they shouldn't, but fails to put it into force. This is a "guideline" not a legal requirement. I am sure if someone challenged a broker or agent on it they would tell you it is not prohibited under the act. You can bet the insurance companies have had their lawyers look at every minute detail of the act to see what "legal work arounds" there are, and this looks like it is one of those.

remember the agent/broker merely types the answers to the questions they are told by their company are required they didn't write the policies nor the algorithms used to calculate the premiums. The system won't allow them to "override" this in the quotation process. So your chances of getting a lower premium even if one challenged them is likely non existent.

I suspect they might be using a different loophole (discounts, rather than truly rating with it). But if they are rating with it, the examples in that bulletin would likely be legally binding, and make for a great class action suit. I'm curious, and might inquire direct with some insurers about this.

OPERATOR:
Years Licensed on Motorcycle: couple months
Number of Convictions in last 3 Years: 0 at the time, 2 speeding tickets now (was driving a car)

MOTORCYCLE:
Year of Bike: 2007
Make of Bike: Honda
Model of Bike: CBR125R
Displacement (CC): 125
3,000km on odometer

PREMIUM:
Insurance Company (Listed on the Pink Slip, not the broker): TDMM (Toronto-Dominion Meloche Monnex)
Annual Premium: last year $617/year (this year $860)

I'm quoting a 97 GN125e through TD, same stats as you but I'm getting $2417 a year. What da fuq

Back
Top Bottom