York police officer suspended, charged with impaired driving after Markham collision | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

York police officer suspended, charged with impaired driving after Markham collision

Sorry to hear about the rider. Used to hang out with cops. Biggest bunch of piss-tanks out there, and the culture of drinking and driving still prevails.
Wish I could say you were totally wrong but you are not. Things have improved greatly over the years, and the culture you speak of is less tolerated by the rank and file. Any cop driving impaired thinking his tin is gonna save his butt if stopped is operating on a misconception.

I wish the paid holiday thing wasn't there in some cases, there needs to be changes to the Police Act to allow suspension without pay in more cases.

GWS soon rider, we have enough to worry about out there without drunks behind the wheel.

I think York region police is going to take this very seriously (as they should). Judging by their press releases and statements this past year they seem extremely frustrasted by the number of DUI’s.

Terrible to hear about the riders leg. Hope he makes the best recovery possible.

Another truism from the wire..
"You know what kills more police than bullets and liquor? Boredom."

I think York region police is going to take this very seriously (as they should). Judging by their press releases and statements this past year they seem extremely frustrasted by the number of DUI’s.

Terrible to hear about the riders leg. Hope he makes the best recovery possible.
Keep your eye on this. Just had a few drinks with a retired YRP, he put his money on some type of administrative mistake leaves a way out despite the severity of the crime. I truly hope that is not the case.

FWIW, I have called in favours on some bad stuff with friends in the YRP. It's a flat no when it comes to DUI.

Keep your eye on this. Just had a few drinks with a retired YRP, he put his money on some type of administrative mistake leaves a way out despite the severity of the crime. I truly hope that is not the case.

FWIW, I have called in favours on some bad stuff with friends in the YRP. It's a flat no when it comes to DUI.

Did he drive home after? You've called in favours and got a flat no on DUI? everybody loves that shite.

Getting out of the charge is one thing, and IMHO, highly unlikely. This seems to be a open and closed case.

Getting out of the massive civil suit about to be filed by the victim who now has a life-changing injury, not so much.

Can the suit be made against the officer? If these sorts of suits were made against the person in question you would think by now there'd be no more incidents with american cops vis a vis black kids, but it seems the money usually comes out of the pocket of the state

Can the suit be made against the officer? If these sorts of suits were made against the person in question you would think by now there'd be no more incidents with american cops vis a vis black kids, but it seems the money usually comes out of the pocket of the state
The difference is that he was off duty.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If the cop is convicted, his life is not over -- but close.

Insurance doesn't cover him because if convicted of operating a vehicle while impaired, and since you are technical in violation of your insurance conditions the no-fault arrangement doesn't apply -- injured guy's insurance company is coming after him to recover what they pay out in damages. Then he will undoubtedly have to settle an expensive injury claim, again not covered under insurance.

Sadly, we the public are on the hook for his full salary and benefits while this plays out, could be well over $100K, double that f he plays the system. The part that really drives me nuts is there's a chance he will return to policing with little more than a temporary demotion - police forces in the GTA rarely dismiss convicted officers. CityNews investigation: Convicted cops who kept their jobs

The cop was off duty, there is nothing he can leverage from the YRP in his defense, it would be a tough leap for the injured party to sue the YRP as there seems to be no linkage other than employment.

Had he left a YRP event/gathering impaired, been on duty, or was performing some type of police activity off duty then the YRP most certainly would be part of a settlement.

Any settlement against him will likely be paid out by his car insurance... Mad Mike covered off the YRP's exposure.

You must have the Platinum Package, because my insurance doesn't cover me while I'm committing a crime, and DUI is a criminal offence.

How Drunk Driving Impacts Your Insurance Coverage - Oakville Insurance Broker

If you are hit by an insured drunk driver, their insurance policy will cover all damages up to policy limits. If you operate your vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol or if you allow an intoxicated person to operate your vehicle, your insurance company will not cover any damages and reserves the right to void your policy.

So the impaired driver's insurance company will cover the claim by the rider (in excess of his own coverage) up to the policy limit (e.g. $1M), but the offender's insurance will not cover any claim or damages from the impaired driver.
That's mostly true. The victim is covered regardless -- first by his own insurance, then by the drunk driver's insurance, then bu the uninsured motorist fund if the impaired driver is not insured. Operating a vehicle while impaired or knowingly allowing another person to drive while impaired turns you insurance off -- all damages are on you.

What the article posted doesn't say is the impaired driver is responsible to the victim's insurance company for all damages they pay out. In a case where a person is severely injured and not at fault, the impaired driver will likely lose everything as they will have to pay back the injured party's vehicle, medical costs, and if the prior postings are correct -- a very sizable settlement.

While type of accident is devastating to both parties and their families, don't feel bad for the criminal.

Back
Top Bottom