Yikes. 3-Year Old Passenger | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yikes. 3-Year Old Passenger

Interesting comment. Is falling off a motorcycle more dangerous than falling off a horse drawn hay wagon? Amish / Mennonite kids are given and can handle more responsibility than most adults I know.

Do many horse-drawn hay wagons travel well in excess of 100km/h?

As for the 'kid in a harness'...I still have some personal issues with that. Maybe some are ok with it, but if you ever go down...you might be using your child as an abrasive layer between you and the asphalt. Same can be said to people who do the same with dogs.

As for the 'kid in a harness'...I still have some personal issues with that. Maybe some are ok with it, but if you ever go down...you might be using your child as an abrasive layer between you and the asphalt. Same can be said to people who do the same with dogs.
Agreed
In any case I think the "child" must be able to properly sit on the pillion seat with feet full on the passenger pegs and the ability to hang on tight. Having raised 4 kids I can pretty much say that this excludes 3 years olds and in most cases kids right up to 6 to 7 years old. Proper gear would be a must. I don't give a darn if you want to ride all squidly but a child is not capable of making that call.

Agreed
In any case I think the "child" must be able to properly sit on the pillion seat with feet full on the passenger pegs and the ability to hang on tight. Having raised 4 kids I can pretty much say that this excludes 3 years olds and in most cases kids right up to 6 to 7 years old. Proper gear would be a must. I don't give a darn if you want to ride all squidly but a child is not capable of making that call.

This too. Considering how dangerous riding can be, a child should really be capable of at least understanding what is going on. At 3 years old they simply wouldn't understand (and could even try to jump off, in theory). IMO, if they are big enough to touch the pegs, have proper gear, and hopefully can ride a bicycle (so they understand things a little), then sure I guess for shorter rides.

That said, like you mentioned, hopefully any parent would want their kid in full gear unless they are just going around the block. I'd cringe if I ever saw a bike on the 401, rider in full leathers, and a child in a t-shirt & shorts behind them. Would essentially mean they understand the risks, but choose to only protect themselves. Bad enough when you see the same with the girlfriend barely in clothes on the back.

New product idea!!! Dainese Tot-Pack; babie on your back

The first time I ever got a ride, it was astride the gas tank of a cop friend's shiny new panhead FLH, built in the era when real men didn't use electric starters (or electric razors, or electric toothbrushes...). I suppose I was around the same age

I don't see much harm in it, except that they put an adult-sized helmet on the kid. That sounds dangerous

The first time I ever got a ride, it was astride the gas tank of a cop friend's shiny new panhead FLH, built in the era when real men didn't use electric starters (or electric razors, or electric toothbrushes...). I suppose I was around the same age

I don't see much harm in it, except that they put an adult-sized helmet on the kid. That sounds dangerous

A Guelph father took his kid out for a ride on an ATV two days ago. Kid looked to be about 4 or 5. On a public street in south end Guelph just off Gordon. Kid astride the gas tank. No helmet on father. None on kid either. Did have a tshirt on, and shorts. And apparent speed would have netted him a speeding ticket in a car.

That is why we get the laws we do.

We should set our laws according to Russian videos.

I used to sleep on the rear window deck of my Dad's old Chevy as a young kid. These days if you saw that on the road you would be calling child protection services. Different times, different standards. I get ****** off when I see a driver of a car buckled up, but the kids roaming free in the back seat.

Dad used to drive the Rugby team around, standing in an old 1961 half ton furniture pick up truck with a railing around the top. But that was then, this is now. There weren't quite as many people or cars around back then either.

Dad used to drive the Rugby team around, standing in an old 1961 half ton furniture pick up truck with a railing around the top. But that was then, this is now. There weren't quite as many people or cars around back then either.

"Time is an illusion according to Einstein" Granted, that's just the headline.

Never seen the Amish "Hand-Of-God-Wagons" around Aylmer? They take off the harness part and rig up a bunch of 12V batteries to a big electric motor. The pulley and belt drive from on old printing press is used as transmission. Then it's off to the midnight races on the quieter concession lines, buzzed on apple jack. Pretty close to 100 km/h for a short time. Slow acceleration and braking due to lack of traction on those carriage wheels. They might look backward with the beards and suspenders but talk to a few and you can tell they're smarter than the average GTAMer. Reminds me I need to take a trip out to pick up produce and baked goods. The best bread EVER if you know the right farm.

Never seen the Amish "Hand-Of-God-Wagons" around Aylmer? They take off the harness part and rig up a bunch of 12V batteries to a big electric motor. The pulley and belt drive from on old printing press is used as transmission. Then it's off to the midnight races on the quieter concession lines, buzzed on apple jack. Pretty close to 100 km/h for a short time. Slow acceleration and braking due to lack of traction on those carriage wheels. They might look backward with the beards and suspenders but talk to a few and you can tell they're smarter than the average GTAMer. Reminds me I need to take a trip out to pick up produce and baked goods. The best bread EVER if you know the right farm.

If this were an elevator pitch for a sitcom I wouldn't even blink.

I heard Kawasaki was looking at developing a supercharged H2R wagon to compete with the Amish rocket wagons. Question is, are 3-year olds suitable passengers on them?

Back
Top Bottom