Yet another TV thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yet another TV thread

crankcall

Site Supporter
so here are my wants, 50-55" , 1080p. flat screen.
I do not need 4K , or smart anything. I just want a biggish TV, where can I A/ find one, B/ where are the deals

I'm a Luddite at heart and do not need best, shiney ,bells and whistles. They all only last 5-6 yrs so it seems, i like to stay comfortably behind the tech curve.

I've had good luck with Update TV & Stereo (Call the Elgin Mills location and speak with Trevor or Stacey, they are the owners). They are straight up and will help you get what you want.

If you're not looking for anything specific Costco is pretty good.

Prices are always competitive and the return policy with a free 1 year extension can't be beat.

Btw what do you do that TV's only last 5-6 years? Our old Sony Trinitron CRT lasted nearly 18 years before I put it on the curb when moving. Picture was still great for standard def but it was nearly as heavy as a ****ing sportbike and was only 32", no point bringing it along.

Currently I got a Sony 46" XBR3 1080p in my room which was top of the line when bought back in 2006, it also came with a hefty price tag at nearly 5000 bucks. The thing is still a beast though when it comes to picture quality and sexy as hell with its gloss black bezel framed in glass. Getting proper stuff always pays out in the long run...recently got a 70" smart tv Sony from Costco for the main room and it came out to less than $2000, pretty good for a 3D tv but not 4K. I saw the whole BluRay revolution take place and just don't think 10 years later there's enough material out there to justify a whole new format/resolution.

HD cable isn't even 1080p yet and everyone's going off about 4K...all we can watch are some sports games and some youtube videos, for the extra $1500 no thank you...

I think the longevity is just a luck of the draw, there are a couple sets in the house that are a decade old, and a couple that fried 6-7yrs in. I'm mostly an OTA anttena guy and some netflix interweb, so 1080p will be lots for me, and more options usually just means more service work.

I looked at Costco, they have an LG 55" LED basic 120h refresh that seems to fit the program at $647.

All in or out the door? About $12/inch, not too shabby.

I think the longevity is just a luck of the draw, there are a couple sets in the house that are a decade old, and a couple that fried 6-7yrs in. I'm mostly an OTA anttena guy and some netflix interweb, so 1080p will be lots for me, and more options usually just means more service work.

I looked at Costco, they have an LG 55" LED basic 120h refresh that seems to fit the program at $647.

Not sure if it matters to you or not. But that LG is not a true 120 hz. It's a 60 hz with motion software. If you watch a lot of sports , fast moving scenes etc you may want to consider a true 120 hz panel. You can still get a relatively cheap basic 1080p tv with 120 Hz at 55 I inch SIZE For under $1000. Check out the Vizio brand.

Back
Top Bottom