Yamaha RZ500 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha RZ500

ssmacdon

Just finished restoring a 1985 Yamaha RZ500 so I thought I'd post a bit about it. These bikes often get a rise out of old guys (like me) that wanted one back in the day or had one and it brings back memories. For those not familiar, it is a 500cc V4 two stroke. It was one of the first race replicas for the road, being inspired by Kenny Roberts grand prix winning bike. It was quite sensation at the time, I must have twenty mags from back in the day with features on it. Still remember seeing at the annual new bike show, they had it on a turntable, rotating around... It had cool tech for 85, which we take for granted today, full fairing, liquid cooled, triple disk brakes, antidive forks etc.

53129981015_3d18ced924_k.jpg

53128975522_c8b34e7fe8_k.jpg

53130048943_81675bf997_k.jpg

53124162238_5f816429f4_k.jpg

53124081525_c30f3e6d70_k.jpg
The exhaust for the rear cylinders come out under the seat, the first undertail exhaust!

This is a link to a startup and walk around video (yes, it's supposed to smoke like that until it is warmed up lol)

The fun of riding a two stroke (besides the sound and the smell of two stroke oil) is the powerband when the bike "comes on the pipe", quite a rush! These bikes are too manic for me to ride these days. I fix them up and sell them. This is the 7th or 8th I've brought back from being a basket case - very satisfying hobby

This bike is for sale if anyone is interested or knows anyone who may be. If this belongs in classifieds, someone can move it.
1985 Yamaha RZ500 For Sale | Sport Bikes | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Attachments

• 53128975522_c8b34e7fe8_k.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 53130048943_81675bf997_k.jpg
    53130048943_81675bf997_k.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 53129981015_3d18ced924_k.jpg
    53129981015_3d18ced924_k.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 53128975522_c8b34e7fe8_k.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 21
Wow !

Truly a work of art / labour of love !

How many hours (years ?) did you put into it ?

Where do you get the parts ?

Mike

Thanks Mike. Not sure the hours, definitely hundreds over about a year. This one was faster because I had already painted a couple and that is what took the most time.

A few parts are still available from Yamaha, but most are nla. A company (yambits) in the UK sells lots of repro parts for Yamahas. Some other aftermarket stuff (Pistons, gasket kits, bodywork).

I was lucky because I bought a bunch of bikes back in the day, so I usually had a few of everything to choose from. Otherwise, lots of searching on eBay.

Looks like seriously good work. Kudos. I’m sure it sounds way better in person!

Beautiful. I've seen a few at the VRRA race weekends and they're awesome to see/hear.

I don't see a steering damper. Get one. Two of them isn't considered overkill on those.

*EDIT*

I see it's for sale. Smart.

It's funny when I think back to when I had my NS400R and two strokes seemed like a dime a dozen. My best friend had a Gamma, another friend had two of them, and his buddy had an RZV with the aluminum frame. When my best friend crashed my NS, I remember passing over so many RZ's because I was holding out for a Gamma like his.

The guy with two of them sold them to Americans for something like $20k USD each back in the 90's, so your price is surprisingly reasonable. I've seen people ask almost the same amount for a project.

It's funny when I think back to when I had my NS400R and two strokes seemed like a dime a dozen. My best friend had a Gamma, another friend had two of them, and his buddy had an RZV with the aluminum frame. When my best friend crashed my NS, I remember passing over so many RZ's because I was holding out for a Gamma like his.

The guy with two of them sold them to Americans for something like $20k USD each back in the 90's, so your price is surprisingly reasonable. I've seen people ask almost the same amount for a project.

RE the price, I think it is relatively low because I'm moving soon and hope to sell it quickly. For me it's a hobby, if I make my money back I'm good.

Here are some pics of a Gamma I rebuilt about 10 years ago. Talk about manic, this bike was insane for the street. Sold it to an America and felt a bit bad about it. These big two srokes were something we had in Canada but not in the US, feels like they should stay here.
RGS.JPG

RGZ (2).JPG
RGB.JPG

Very nice! If I’m being honest I don’t remember the 500 but I was a young buck back then. Hope you get what you’re asking as I think it’s entirely worth it. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Since we're reminiscing, back in the good old days, we had 2014 FZ09s...bad suspension and fueling, a bit hard to ride, but hilarious fun for cheap.

Back then ABS was considered cutting edge!

Since we're reminiscing, back in the good old days, we had 2014 FZ09s...bad suspension and fueling, a bit hard to ride, but hilarious fun for cheap.

Back then ABS was considered cutting edge!

You new folks have no idea. LOL Really old bikes had their own version of ABS. Squeeze the brake lever and not much happened. I started riding on a 1984 Honda 450 Nighthawk. It was rubbish.

The RZ500 was an evil beast. I knew a couple people who had them, but never rode one.

Chassis engineering has come a long way. The FZR400 had the reputation of being the best-handling production bike for a long time. Today's R3 is better.

You new folks have no idea. LOL Really old bikes had their own version of ABS. Squeeze the brake lever and not much happened. I started riding on a 1984 Honda 450 Nighthawk. It was rubbish.

The RZ500 was an evil beast. I knew a couple people who had them, but never rode one.

Chassis engineering has come a long way. The FZR400 had the reputation of being the best-handling production bike for a long time. Today's R3 is better.
I started on one of those too. Hitting a tar snake at speed while leaned over started an oscillation that made it feel like it was hinged in the centre. Unnerving and changed your line but rarely scared the crap out of you.

Back
Top Bottom