Yamaha r3 premium or regular? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha r3 premium or regular?

I actually tried this the last few weeks with my R3

Ottawa to Trenton with regular fuel....I got 318kms before the reserve light flashed.

The next week I put the Shell super dooper stuff in...I got 340kms before the light flashed.

Exact same route, same rider, same ish conditions (19 and sunny vs 22 and sunny)

I actually tried this the last few weeks with my R3

Ottawa to Trenton with regular fuel....I got 318kms before the reserve light flashed.

The next week I put the Shell super dooper stuff in...I got 340kms before the light flashed.

Exact same route, same rider, same ish conditions (19 and sunny vs 22 and sunny)

what was the price difference for gas seeing as you got more distance with the premium.

Just picked up a 2015 Yamaha r3

Any r3 riders out here? Manual states to use regular gas. Does it matter if I use premium?

Thanks

NEVER DO WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS!!!!!

Always do the opposite! How can you not know this????????

NEVER DO WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS!!!!!

Always do the opposite! How can you not know this????????
I'm a riot. I had controlling parents, can't help it

Went from Ottawa to Trenton for the airshow this weekend.

I got 3.8L/Per100kms on the way there with regular gas.

I got 3.4L/Per 100kms on the way back with 97 octane from petrocan.

I just ran a tank of Petro-Can 94 in the FJ after several dozen tanks of Shell 91. I got significantly better mileage with the Petro-Can, which makes no sense to me. Been riding the same way and to pretty much the exact same destinations over and over.

Went from Ottawa to Trenton for the airshow this weekend.

I got 3.8L/Per100kms on the way there with regular gas.

I got 3.4L/Per 100kms on the way back with 97 octane from petrocan.

97octane? or 93

Thought the R3 would have been better, for instance i get 5.4 with my FZ09 riding it like an idiot every day.

There's more BTU's in ethanol free gas, so increased milage isn't surprising, but when you do the math on the difference in cost vs the slight difference in mileage it doesn't work out to be of any benefit. Using above example, 0.4L/100K difference, using simplified but not abnormal (20 cents/L extra for the super premium stuff) fuel prices, here's the math.

$1.00/L for regular @3.8L/100K = $3.80 per 100K travelled.
$1.20/L for premium @3.4L/100K = $4.08 per 100K travelled.

So, you're still not breaking even.

Yes, sometimes the super premium fuels contain cleaning additives and such that could be helpful, but it's mostly bells and whistles IMHO.

Some bikes also run poorer (so potentially less MPG) on higher octane, often offsetting any potential fuel savings from the lack of ethanol. My VTX for example is no fan of it having run a few tanks, so after the winter storage period where I had Shell ethanol free I've been running regular old 87 happily ever since.

Petro-Can's premium has ethanol.

I suspect that LWTracer's different MPG figures were the result of wind and/or elevation changes rather than the gas.

In my case on a 250 kawi ('06) i run Shell premium (about $15-$18 full tank) and downtown (yonge) on QEW to Mississauga i get about 360 before reserve (7am and 4-5pm traffic)

regular i notice it runs rough, chokes, lack of power. prem warms up quicker, more km, and seems to be snappier (less chocking) - most difference is in cold weather as i tend to ride in about 0C

Last edited:
regular i notice it runs rough, chokes, lack of power. prem warms up quicker, more km, and seems to be snappier (less chocking) - most difference is in cold weather as i tend to ride in about 0C

Some people are going to tell you it's just a placebo effect, but I'm with you man. Premium (of any brand) seems to make my old POS snappier, and I do get significantly better mileage.

Back
Top Bottom