Yamaha did it - NIKEN | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha did it - NIKEN

only 20k$

You could get a really nice-looking bike for $20K.

Or you could get this one instead...

Yamaha-MT09-Action-109985.jpg

Yeesh...

The marketing people aren't stupid.They do a lot of research before building products.Be interesting to see what group is the target for this.Millenials?Nah!

Looks like a r6 with a walker.

What is happening in the world? Just those images kinda makes me embarrassed to be a biker

I don't understand the point of this. So you don't have to put your foot down at lights? Are there any other advantages? I mean, it looks like ***

I don't understand the point of this. So you don't have to put your foot down at lights? Are there any other advantages? I mean, it looks like ***

Unless they have changed it, you do have to put your foot down at a stoplight. Yamaha didn't have a vertical lock.

I still haven't seen a single positive to this stupid thing other than it's different.

The marketing people aren't stupid.They do a lot of research before building products.Be interesting to see what group is the target for this.Millenials?Nah!

They are going after the lucrative Piaggio MP3 market.

That looks set up for some spectacular accidents to me.

Why.It looks to me like it would be fun.Easy to "back it in" in the twisties.Everybody gets their shorts in a knot when a bike looks like it has potential to be safer (as in not fall over as easily).Just my opinion tho.After all,i am getting to an age where i fall over easier.

Why.It looks to me like it would be fun.Easy to "back it in" in the twisties.Everybody gets their shorts in a knot when a bike looks like it has potential to be safer (as in not fall over as easily).Just my opinion tho.After all,i am getting to an age where i fall over easier.

Wondering what would happen if one wheel goes over a large object but the other doesn’t and what happens if one suspension element has an issue and the other doesn’t.

Wondering what would happen if one wheel goes over a large object but the other doesn’t and what happens if one suspension element has an issue and the other doesn’t.
It should be the same as when that happens in a car.

I want to see what happens when your lean exceeds the maximum articulation angle and you lift a wheel and double the load on the other shock (or maybe that's not possible as hard parts hit first?). Also, you are asking shocks to do something very different than a typical bike. On a hard corner, one shock will be almost fully compressed while the other is almost fully extended.

Again, I think they screwed the pooch on this one. With some form of active lean control maybe this makes sense (or maybe it is like the 737 Max and crashes you by overriding the person).

It should be the same as when that happens in a car.

Except the car is ~6' wide and the bike is ~2.5'. This will roughly double the rotation caused by a particular bump and if leaned over, the suspension can't deal well with it as the line of force is almost perpendicular to the direction the suspension travels while it is lined up well in a car. It will be interesting to see how this bike behaves in these outlier situations, it could do the funky chicken or it may be rock solid. I am looking forward to this bike being in the wild to see how it behaves.

It is likely meant to target, the older rider, who perhaps now has hip issues, or mobility issues which make riding a single track bike difficult, but they want a "sportier" looking option than a spyder.

I am sure Yamaha has done "test" groups, etc, and just didn't say let's build this and pour millions into R&D, to "see if anyone will bite"..lol I imagine there was the same negative reaction to the first trikes. While still not a huge segment of the market they do fill a niche.

It is likely meant to target, the older rider, who perhaps now has hip issues, or mobility issues which make riding a single track bike difficult, but they want a "sportier" looking option than a spyder.

I am sure Yamaha has done "test" groups, etc, and just didn't say let's build this and pour millions into R&D, to "see if anyone will bite"..lol I imagine there was the same negative reaction to the first trikes. While still not a huge segment of the market they do fill a niche.

Except trikes actually do something. They are inherently stable (while stopped at least). For whatever reason, Yamaha didn't include anything remotely like that in the Niken. You still have to throw your leg over it like a normal bike and it still falls over like a normal bike.

Last edited:
This to me makes absolutely no sense. I'll be shocked to see any on the road this year. Not to mention its over $20k :lmao:

Like I said in the earlier Niken thread, the type of person with mobility issues that require 3 wheels will not be able to throw a leg over this thing or keep it steady at a stop.

I don't think they are the target group.I think it's for people who are almost in the Can-Am group.

Crashlow needs to switch to Yamaha
and they can give him one of these things
front tires won't fade in the last 10 laps like the HRC he rides

Back
Top Bottom