Wrong-Way Drivers in Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wrong-Way Drivers in Toronto

bastak

Around evening rush hour yesterday, with heavy traffic on Gardiner W., there was more congestion than usual on Front St, heading west from Parliament. It was bad, but not a complete standstill, and a few cars would get through the various intersections in each signal phase.

Near Princess & Front, a taxi pulled out into opposing traffic, entered the left turn lane, then continued into opposing traffic up to Fredrick St., before merging into a gap (that's about 200m in the wrong direction). Some cars travelling eastbound actually moved over to the right lane to avoid a head-on collision with the taxi driver waving out the window.

Then, minutes later, around Fredrick St., an SUV pulls out into opposing traffic and takes a left on to George St. (about 100m in the wrong direction). Right turner coming out of George St. was pretty stunned and had to quickly swerve into the right lane to avoid a collision after pulling out somewhere in between the two lanes.

It happened again this morning northbound on Jarvis for a shorter distance - maybe 50m or so.

On a number of occasions, I have seen cars headed in the wrong direction on one-way streets (either Dunfield or Lillian) near Yonge & Eglinton, either as a shortcut to avoid looping around or to detour away from heavy traffic on Redpath.

Are others seeing this happen more frequently? Any thoughts on what one can do to help make our streets safer?

Oh yeah, saw it every week on Adelaide at my 2nd job. Cyclists/cars making a right turn and trying to head West.

At first i waved people down and stood in the street to get their attention, i've since given up.

lol.

Get yourself a video recording device, sounds like some interesting entertainment is going to happen real soon.
I know that is sad to say, but so is the non sense on our roads.

I saw a guy drive on the sidewalk a month ago near where I live. There was construction on Kingston Rd and it was a bit backed up, but apparently waiting a few minutes was beyond them to get back to the dealership so up on the sidewalk they went, which was less then 100 ft away.

Get yourself a video recording device, sounds like some interesting entertainment is going to happen real soon.
I know that is sad to say, but so is the non sense on our roads.

I saw a guy drive on the sidewalk a month ago near where I live. There was construction on Kingston Rd and it was a bit backed up, but apparently waiting a few minutes was beyond them to get back to the dealership so up on the sidewalk they went, which was less then 100 ft away.

Other than entertainment value, I suppose the footage would be helpful if an incident did occur. Seems like the penalty for "driving the wrong way on a divided road" or "going the wrong way on a one-way road" is 3 demerit points. Seems lenient considering that "careless driving" or "racing" (much more subjective?) is 6 points.

It is confusing down there if you visit only once in a while. While in the car, I inadvertently made a left eastbound onto Wellington coming out of the Roy Thomson Hall outdoor parking lot on their south side. Didn't see a sign when I was pointing onto the street although there may be one there.

When I saw all the car's at the red light facing me I quickly realized my error and turned south onto Victoria I think it was.

I'd cut people slack down there as I'm sure it's 90% unintentional.

It is confusing down there if you visit only once in a while. While in the car, I inadvertently made a left eastbound onto Wellington coming out of the Roy Thomson Hall outdoor parking lot on their south side. Didn't see a sign when I was pointing onto the street although there may be one there.

When I saw all the car's at the red light facing me I quickly realized my error and turned south onto Victoria I think it was.

I'd cut people slack down there as I'm sure it's 90% unintentional.

True, there are some confusing ones around town. I remember a few years back when Wellington between University and York flipped between having an eastbound lane and not on the south side, due to the construction work going on around Union Station. It confused a lot of people.

Warning: Severe Tire Damage

popup-severe-tire-damage-spikes-picture-id144802018

Back
Top Bottom