WR250R? Ninja 300? R3? Supermoto? CBs? Can't Decide? | GTAMotorcycle.com

WR250R? Ninja 300? R3? Supermoto? CBs? Can't Decide?

dallasmcmahon

Hello guys, I have been looking at my next bike to get but have been really confused for months.

I owned a CRF250L last year, but I sold it to my dad who wanted it. I gave it to him for a good price so I could still ride it, but also get some money back. Well, I have money saved up for my own bike once again and am confused on what to get.

First off, I enjoyed riding the CRF250L. It was a decent machine, however over time I felt like the CRF was lacking off road and even on road for what it is. It was a fun play bike, but being 19years old, I like doing the tricky stuff and the muddy stuff (my dad on the other hand likes the nice light trails and back roads). I stopped trying to ride the real aggressive stuff because my dad was getting mad that I was beating the **** out of it like a real enduro. I by no means mastered the CRF250L, but off road I felt like I could only do so much. little jumps, ruts, hills, all seemed to be a struggle (ex. bounced all over the place, no real torque). The bike pulls but had no force, just smooth and linear.

I live in niagara so there is a lot of trails i could travel on if i got another dual sport. However at the same time, i go to school in Waterloo and i know there isn't much around there to my knowledge. I love the looks of supermotos, I like street bikes, I like dual sports. They all have something different to offer the rider. Is the versatility worth it, or will a street bike allow me to enjoy the back roads and highway jaunts to different towns more? I really don't know. I also have my own car, so it is not my main mode of transportation, although I will use the bike more than the car in the summer as I have done before.

The more videos and research I do, the more I get debating.

Im debating:

Is getting a WR250R that much better than a CRF250L? If i take it off road, will i notice the difference for the more challenging terrain? Will it be like riding close to a real dirt bike? WR = the ultimate package?
Is a drz400sm a good supermoto, or should I just supermoto a WR if i decide to in the upcoming years? is the DRZ400sm that much better than my old CRF, considering its carbed? Supermoto's = best of both worlds = fun on the streets/parkinglots/abandoned place/stone roads?
Should i just forget a dualsport, and go with a NINJA300 or a R3 this time? Better Hwy capability for less versatility? More Speed? Last me till i'm done school and on my own? Drive from waterloo to niagara with ease?
Maybe do some exploring? Multi day adventures?

CB300? CBR500? CB500?

I am a young guy just looking for the advise of some wise riders aha. Let me know what your recommendations are. Any other used bikes or new bikes to look at? Thanks :)

Personally, I would not get the 250. Too anemic on the street and just too lame/heavy for proper dirt biking. I like the idea of drz400sm with TKC80 tires for gravel, unmaintained roads and dirt/exploring passage. You can still ride serious dirt with the sm400 but the angle of attack will be "wow what an adventure I can't believe I made it thru or over that" rather than the fastest way thru like a proper trail bike would allow.

CB500x will be good on the road and do some light off road. Ktm 350 will be awesome off road but lacking on the highway. Wr and drz will fall in between too heavy and underpowered for the dirt too dirtbikey for the highway.

Sent from a device using a program

I loved my DRZ400sm on the road and gravel back roads; off road was a very different story too top heavy to enjoy.

I really wished I kept it as it was awesome but not a highway bike and even with a modified seat after 45 minutes I wanted off.

I like the idea of the 500x for you. But only really light off-road I imagine. If serious off-roading is necessary I would look to blue played 450's like a wr450f or crf450x.

Out of all those options I would get the WR250R if you are not going to ride much highway. Many people have said it's leaps and bounds better than the CRF250L performance wise.

Buy the CB500X if you want a bike that will do it all, but slowly off pavement. Not if you want to be jumping though.

How about some of KTM's options? I was looking at some 450's by them. There's a few blue plated on Kijiji. Seem to have a bit better power for highway but also light weight for offroad. But I honestly have no idea about sumos or offroad bikes so maybe there's something I'm missing. Perhaps price and reliability?

How about some of KTM's options? I was looking at some 450's by them. There's a few blue plated on Kijiji. Seem to have a bit better power for highway but also light weight for offroad. But I honestly have no idea about sumos or offroad bikes so maybe there's something I'm missing. Perhaps price and reliability?

Oil changes every 5 or 6 hours, valve checks every 15 hours. Engine rebuilds within 10,000kms. The KTM 450's a very nice but you almost spend more time working on them than riding them.

Oil changes every 5 or 6 hours, valve checks every 15 hours. Engine rebuilds within 10,000kms. The KTM 450's a very nice but you almost spend more time working on them than riding them.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like even more work than my 2 stroke.

Edit: Also, the 450 EXC has no passenger pegs and the Internet tells me the rear subframe can barely handle carrying a small chainsaw. Although there are aftermarket pegs (with brackets to attach them) available even if the subframe will break.

Last edited:
I have owned a ninja 250r as my first bike, which was ok as a learners bike but other than that, I would not recommend a low cc powered street bike, it's just not enjoyable. My current bike is a DRZ400SM, I bought this bike because I watched a lot of friends and motovlogger with this bike and there are no limits, this bike is the best bike I could have gotten, it's perfect for roads/ commuting, it's perfect for off-roading, it's relatively cheap so you don't have to worry about dropping it compared to other more expensive bikes like ktm. It is extremely durable, I've dropped my bike multiple times off-roading with no problems, the power is perfect for both on/off-roading applications. Once you start moving it, 3x3 mod, exhaust, and FCR39mm carb, it turns to s whole new beast. I learned how to do wheelies on this bike, very easy to do on this bike, some say it's impossible not to learn how to wheelie on it. The ability to swap out your wheelies for different Aplications is awesome, Supermoto setup for road/ group rides or tracking, than swap your wheels to knobbys in 15 minutes for off-roading! One if the biggest incentives for me was that insurance is really really cheap on this bike compared to any sport bike. Overall I have no regrets with the DRZ400, to me it's the perfect bike. If you like you can watch some of the stuff I do on my channel.

http://youtube.com/user/hummer4200 (ParryMoto)

You went from a 28 HP bike to a 35 HP bike... apparently there's a very fine limit between "not enjoyable" and "no limits"...

You went from a 28 HP bike to a 35 HP bike... apparently there's a very fine limit between "not enjoyable" and "no limits"...

You're comparing apples to oranges. You dont need a ton of power on a dirt bike to have ridiculous fun on it. Try taking a ninja 250 off road or wheeling it and let me know how you do.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You dont need a ton of power on a dirt bike to have ridiculous fun on it. Try taking a ninja 250 off road or wheeling it and let me know how you do.

DRZ400SM is not a dirt bike but I agree it is likely a fun bike. I've considered buying one.

I would likely have fun on a Ninja 250. My bike has about the same power. Put some lower gearing on it for more torque and it would wheelie fine.

He was the one that compared apples to oranges, first. I don't think you need a ton of power on any type of bike for it to be fun. Even on my 30 HP bike I'm breaking the speed limit on any road in the province.

Last edited:
DRZ400SM is not a dirt bike but I agree it is likely a fun bike. I've considered buying one.

I would likely have fun on a Ninja 250. My bike has about the same power. Put some lower gearing on it for more torque and it would wheelie fine.

He was the one that compared apples to oranges, first. I don't think you need a ton of power on any type of bike for it to be fun. Even on my 30 HP bike I'm breaking the speed limit on any road in the province.

Sorry "supermoto"! haha

But yeah its a hell of a lot more versatile and can be taken off road, so I think that's what he meant by no limits

Back
Top Bottom