Would this be lying to your insurance company, or is it just a loophole? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would this be lying to your insurance company, or is it just a loophole?

daytona675

I just went over John Duffy's list of Jevco's SS surcharge list, and this thought came to mind.

What if you were to buy a naked bike which is not SS surcharged, such as the Triumph Street Triple, and go through some modifications (add the fairing most importantly) to make it resemble the Daytona 675. They're similar bikes to my understanding, the major difference is one is naked.

Since the only alteration is cosmetic, would this consitute insurance fraud or something of that nature? Or is this a loophole for a rider who wants an SS, but can't afford SS insurance?

I'm not necessarily sold on doing it, just a thought.

The insurance company doesn't look at your bike to give you a quote. Once you give them the VIN number, they'll know what kind of bike you have. Doesn't matter if you put the fairings on it or not.

If you put on a jacket you're still the same person underneath.
I don't see why this should be a problem in the sense you described it.
Now when they ask "are there any mods to the bike", the correct answer should be yes.

No effect on insurance. Why would you even bother telling them?

The model is determined by the VIN according to the insurance companies. The only problem you would ever encounter is the body work may not be covered in case of an accident.

Sent from my Desire HD

You will have to inform the insurer about the mod, but since it's merely cosmetic I don't think they'd care.

The model is determined by the VIN according to the insurance companies. The only problem you would ever encounter is the body work may not be covered in case of an accident.

Sent from my Desire HD

I agree, if you mod your bike for this, if you need to make a claim they can probably refuse to pay for any of the items not part of the standard Street Triple. And as the owner of a 675, the bikes are not the same unless you have the R model. Can't imagine you'd save enough money on insurance to cover the cost of the conversion.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to look into the conversion and see if it makes any sense.

I just barely miss the cut for Statefarms B Plan. I'm 22, so TD's out of the question, Jevco is the only company that's affordably ($1400/year). I did a quick online quote for the Street Triple, which came out to $2400. Not too shabby when they're asking be for something like $10,000/year for a Daytona 675, lol. I know online isn't the most accurate, and after looking into how much a conversion would run me, I'll absolutely do some real quotes with my broker.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to look into the conversion and see if it makes any sense.

I just barely miss the cut for Statefarms B Plan. I'm 22, so TD's out of the question, Jevco is the only company that's affordably ($1400/year). I did a quick online quote for the Street Triple, which came out to $2400. Not too shabby when they're asking be for something like $10,000/year for a Daytona 675, lol. I know online isn't the most accurate, and after looking into how much a conversion would run me, I'll absolutely do some real quotes with my broker.

Thanks again guys!

The Triumph Street Triple is already a pretty cool looking bike . . . plastics won't make it any more of a SS than it was prior to the conversion with the exception of the look. I suggest you just go with a Street Triple and enjoy it for what it is until your insurance becomes cheaper for a SS.

big_triumph_street_triple_07_01.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD

Agreed...Technically insurance companies only need to "indemnify" you. So if you don't report the additional fairings, they don't technically have to pay, but I believe that's really up to the discretion of the adjuster you get. Basically you're taking a chance.

Back
Top Bottom