Worth it?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worth it??

CB Rider

I may have the opportunity to salvage a mid 70's era? 3cylinder Kawasaki. Missing some bits, not too rusted, engine turns but no where near running. I'm not really a mechanic but good with my hands and a quick study. Anyone have thoughts or advice about this being a first project bike. From what I've read it might be a cool ride to save.

2-stroke? The internet has made everything easier (locating parts/people that know what they are doing/videos on what to do). If you have the time/space/money, why not.

Almost all major restoration projects lose heaps of money (probably $1 return for every $3 to 4 spent) and consume your heart and soul, knowing this from the beginning is important. Obviously there are exceptions and it depends what you start with and where you are going (see the guy on GTAM that is planning on pressure washing and giving a tuneup to two abandoned bikes and selling them when sparkly).

Good luck, post pictures

Which triple? they made a bunch and they are all worth a bit of dosh right now, very collectible. Also stupid fun to pilot.

If you want to sell it, limit your investment in it to sweeping all the parts into a single pile. Someone may buy it.

If you want to wrench on it, by all means do so - I think they're neat - but as stated above, it will be a net loss for you in the end.

Thanks everyone. If i can get it, it will be for free. don't plan on selling it, all the work will be for me to have some fun learn some skills and (fingers crossed) have a unique, fun, exciting(read about the "widow maker"nickname) ride I can truly call mine. Any other input? feel free.

If it is a 500 or 750 version, it is worth keeping and spending the money on to fix it up. If it is a 250/350/400 then not so much. The smaller versions are ok but the investment into one of these will be as much as the 500/750s. The 500/750 will bring a decent return on your investment the 250/350/400s less likely. parillaguy

The only thing you are forgetting is the 400 is the most refined of the bunch. Out of the box they are the best handling of the lot. They don't fetch the same coin as the H series but who cares if you just plan to ride it.
You biggest worry about taking on this project is the addiction that will soon follow! Haha

Its totally worth fixing to a running state and good fun. If you decide to ride it, do keep in mind the skinny tires and power band that will kick in like a shot in the sack is not all that user friendly if you wind it up. They do not handle even as well as any brand of base model you could buy today. They are awesome and fun, don't hurt yourself. We had a 500/3 in the family, it was nutty. Awesome nutty.

To be honest, the Kawi triple handling issues of the H series were totally blown out of proportion but can be greatly improved with an 18" front wheel, tapered roller bearings in the headstock and good swingarm bushings.
No, they don't handle as well as a modern bike but they can be setup so that they are rock solid. I have a buddy that road races his 500 and can mix it up with any late model 600 on the track... While he might only have 80% of the hp, he's probably 80% of the weight.

Hey, if the engine doesn't run then how about an electric motorcycle conversion project? You can get the whole conversion kit that includes the motor, batteries, and controller...

Hey, if the engine doesn't run then how about an electric motorcycle conversion project? You can get the whole conversion kit that includes the motor, batteries, and controller...

Why would you convert a bike with a great engine and mediocre frame to an ebike? A better candidate would be a Hyo 250, lots of those around without engines.

My VERY first racebike a 71 H1 to this day I hate two strokes because of that bike. Very finicky to get it running right. When it was it was quick (for the day) brakes sucked and suspension was garbage. Very simple engine. trap oil pump on idle setting (cant eliminate totally because it drips straight on crank bearings) and run good oil on premix. Bike calls for 20:1 I used to run good race oil at 32:1 and pump on idle seamed about right. Pipes were a trick most leave little clearance and in race mode it required very aggressive body positioning as pipes would hit very easy. Saw my old bike at a VRRA meet a few years ago. New owner was having a hell of a time keeping it running right. I just laughed and said some things never change. Pic is me on it at my very first race ever.

It can be a challenge to get them jetted correctly but once there, you really only need to change the main jets up 1 size from summer to spring/ fall riding.
I have a 78 KH400 with a H1 motor shoe horned in the frame, after market reeds, stage 2 porting, custom pipes and 35mm flat slides.
It's fast every day and makes a great sleeper badged as a 400! :)
Suspension wise, heavier springs installed and plans to add gold valve emulators in the forks. I opted for the cheap Chinese rear shocks and I was surprised that they are a good bang for the buck!
I installed a front caliper from an EX500, 1/2" master cylinder, now the bike can do stoppies (not me though) lol
It's my daily rider.... Here's a shot of it at a track day last year.

Thanks everyone. If i can get it, it will be for free. don't plan on selling it, all the work will be for me to have some fun learn some skills and (fingers crossed) have a unique, fun, exciting(read about the "widow maker"nickname) ride I can truly call mine. Any other input? feel free.

exciting is not the word i would use. the h2 was terrifying. riding it was like feeling like you're about to crash because the brakes are like marshmallows on cardboard and the frame flexed like a twizzler.

Rubber parts are near to inobtanium, Kawasaki makes little effort to support vintage product. Mike at Z1enterprises.com might be of some help.

Back
Top Bottom