Worst weather you've ever rode in? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worst weather you've ever rode in?

PP, hope she gets well soon enough and isn't put off riding. Gear and bikes are easily enough fixed.

Looking forward to the story when the time is right

Thanks. She seems to be looking forward to getting back riding again - I asked her today if she wanted me to drop all the $ on parts today of if she was thinking she was done for the season, given as how there’s realistically only 6-8 weeks left of it anyways. She said order the parts.

Glad this didn’t happen 4-5 years ago when she got on 2 wheels originally...she’d have never continued.

Thanks. She seems to be looking forward to getting back riding again - I asked her today if she wanted me to drop all the $ on parts today of if she was thinking she was done for the season, given as how there’s realistically only 6-8 weeks left of it anyways. She said order the parts.

Glad this didn’t happen 4-5 years ago when she got on 2 wheels originally...she’d have never continued.
She's a trooper. After a ride in the bus, that's it for many people (especially women ime, even a tipover like Matt Rain had is often enough to call it). Take good care of her PP.

Fri 13th Pt Dover in January.

How the hell did you ride your bikes in straight jackets? :p

Riding over to a friend's house after dinner years ago. About half way there it started to hail. About 15 seconds in and after a couple of good, hard hits I realized this isn't hail, this is Armageddon. Pulled into a driveway and sprinted up on to the covered porch of the house. There was a guy on the porch sitting in a chair drinking his apres dinner coffee. 'You don't mind if I hang out here for a few minutes, do you?' 'Nope, not at all'. It stopped a minute later just as abruptly as it started. Some of the chunks of hail on the ground were the size of Playstation controllers. Never seen hail like that before or again.

A couple years ago we left in April for NC.
Woke up in Findley OH and the bikes were covered in snow.
Packed up the bikes and headed south on I75
Its one thing to ride in the cold to go grab a bag of milk or whatever.
Its another thing to go screaming down the highway for an extended period of time.
Luckily the sun was out to help warms things up.

I hate the rain.
Light stuff or mist rain doesn't really bother me but the other stuff I have a hard time seeing.
Take this last trip for example....I'm riding north on Icefields Pkwy
Weather calls for a warm sunny day
In the pics below you can see the before and after.
Riding north you can see the sky getting dark.
I always figured the darker the sky the harder the rain.
Minutes before its gonna start to rain I see a bar / restaurant.
I pull in and grab a V8 and a bag of chips (eat healthy I say)
It rains...It stops...the road dries and I carry on.
To stop Charlotte from getting all messy the key is to let the road dry...otherwise I'm looking for a car wash :)

IMG-20200817-112318.jpg

IMG-20200817-125742.jpg

Unless it's just a brief rain situation and there's a ton of time flexibility in the day...I gear up and ride in the rain. Yeah, the bike gets messy. On some rides I'll hunt up a car wash at the beginning a day and blast it off...other times, such as the Wawa/Chapleau loop we just got back from...I just ride with the shame. Or as one friend put it, the badge of honor that "we're not just fair weather riders". ;)

Years ago, returning home in Port Elgin with my wife on the 1990 ZX11 from the Parry Sound bike rally.
Almost made it home when we were headed into the darkest cloud I ever saw.
I asked my wife if she wanted to don her rain suit but she said " no I'll be in a bath tub in ten-fifteen minutes".
We soldiered on until the wind got violent with heavy rain and hail.
I can usually go about an hour in leather before signs of leakage but we were drowned in moments.
I Stopped the bike, wife got off and was blown into the ditch. I tried to lay the bike down because I was convinced we were all going to get caught up in a tornado, bike and all. I couldn't get the bike on the ground no matter how hard I pushed because I was working against the wind and I thought we were goners.
I somehow managed to point old Ninja into the wind and just held on (seemed like forever).
It then cleared up enough and we continued home.
Our friend in Port said there was a tornado near town, I guess we caught the edge or tail end of it since only my wife was briefly air born.
I'll never forget that day.

@PrivatePilot crummy situation, hopefully it all works out and things get back to normal for you and the wife. Once you are able to and if you want to share it could be a rare learning experience to share with the forum.

Worst weather was riding back down the James Bay Highway last year. Torrential rain and no where to stop but keep going. Dealing with 100's of k of gravel, sand, and construction as well. Soaked, couldn't see a dam thing so much water, even ducking behind the faring like a racer... at one point I think I was doing a 100 on the gravel to just get through it. I did stop at a campground to swap out some clothes and adjust rain gear. Helped. But exhausting ride.

Wow that much construction ....and it IS pretty barren. Maybe glad I didn't try this year. Let them finish construction. Give it a shot next June. White knuckle for sure in that kind of condition and location and not like you are new to riding either.

Once you are able to and if you want to share it could be a rare learning experience to share with the forum.

TBD. It's a bit of a unique situation, both in how it happened, and how we're pursuing it. Can't say much more. Ordered bunch of parts for bike today, new helmet and gloves sourced from GP, new jacket just ordered. Nothing $1500 (and counting) can't fix. ?

Wow that much construction ....and it IS pretty barren. Maybe glad I didn't try this year. Let them finish construction. Give it a shot next June. White knuckle for sure in that kind of condition and location and not like you are new to riding either.
Well I still think I am new at this. So far so good though.

Yeah, between that and the closures in all the indian reserves (as I'm sure you noticed on our trip to Pickle Lake) it was not a wise year to try. Biggest concern I had was getting up to Chisasibi and finding the roads blockaded. No access to/through Chisasibi, no access to James Bay. No access to James Bay, 75% of the goal of the trip (being able to say you rode to Nunavut) = gone, at least for me.

Let me know if you want a riding buddy when you go next year. It's still on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom